Thread: Password Managers

Question Password Managers

I have been using KeePass as my password manager for several years. I am very happy with it and I find that it does exactly what I need in a password manager. Usually when searching for a list of reliable password managers KeePass would always show up on someone's list of the "10 best". Today I was doing a search and it appears that it has either dropped out of favor or is being pushed aside by subscription options. I was just wondering if anyone had any insight as to why KeePass doesn't seem to be in the ratings any longer? Did something adverse happen to their program that would have thrown it out of favor?

Blog Entries
    Just want to chime in to mention many of those "Top 10" sites exist simply for the affiliate links, they get a couple of cents when you buy something.. So they have no interest in ranking any freeware/opensource software.
    When I need to compare software, I usually go to some site like alternativeto.net and look there, as it is based on actual user feedback, rather than some random editor.
    https://alternativeto.net/software/keepass/

I would prefer a local/open source manager, KeePass seems pretty capable and it is being updated. In general many password managers are ok as long as the password file/database is locked, and vulnerable to exploits while it is unlocked.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

I have noticed that there seems to be way too many "affiliate" sites popping up everywhere. One of the dead giveaways is the generic was they present their opinions. Basically a cut and paste job.

When I use KeePass I only have it open long enough to grab the password I need and then it gets closed. It is never left open for convenience. It seems like it really is a great manager, it's just that most of the bad mouthing is from people saying it's just to difficult to use and learn.

Blog Entries
    There are some trojans that can grab unlocked password files from common password managers if/when they are open.. Kind of a mute point if your PC is clean of malware.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Bitwarden
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Bitwarden
    Thank you for the tip. I highly regard your suggestions and will take a look at this. I'm currently going through their "help" videos to see if this is a direction I'd like to go. I'm sure it probably does what I need it to do but I'll withhold any comments until I get a chance to go through it all.

For the record, can you elaborate as to why you pick Bitwarden?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    For the record, can you elaborate as to why you pick Bitwarden?
    Have seen it recommended by many other IT people...
    Open source...so has community coding eyes on it to keep it robust.
    Excellent browser plugin if you want
    You can self host. Or use their cloud services.(I use the cloud version)
    Basic version is free, they do have a professional version that you can use, VERY low cost, can have separate vaults. Such as if for a company.
    Supports TOTP for MFA on things like Office 365 logins. While not a big deal for single users, for businesses with multiple people needing to access things that are MFA'd...this is excellent! For example, at our office, there are 6x of us. Many of us have a need to sign into many different secure portals. All can have a login with Bitwarden, and access to the TOTP code for a particular site they're logging into.

At our office we now use HUDU for this, but it's because HUDU is also an excellent documentation system designed for IT companies and it also integrates into our RMM, SyncroMSP.

I still use Bitwarden for my personal stuff.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!