Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Gas CC

  1. #1
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    28,017

    Gas CC

    Any you guys would recommend?

    Thinking about this first one: https://wallethub.com/best-gas-credit-cards

    Have 2 cc, just looking for something gas only with a better rate.

    Buy just shy of $180.00 per month, gotta love CA.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Easto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    5,321
    I see no reason to carry around anything other than my Visa card. It is universally accepted. And to be honest I don't even know what the rate on it is because I always pay it off. Personally I would never carry a balance and my advice to you and anyone else would be to do the same. "People who understand interest earn it. People who don't, pay it".

  3. #3
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    11,030
    Blog Entries
    6
    I think Humby is talking about bonuses... I also pay off my balance every month, but I use a couple of CCs for the cash-back/points bonuses.

    My go to card is a Citi Double Cash CC, it gives back 2% on all purchases (1% on purchase +1% on balance pay off). When I travel to the EU, I use Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa, as it has no "foreign transaction fee" and it has decent exchange rates.. There are gas cards that give you better percentage though, up to ~5% back I believe on some. I know Discover gives back more than 2% back in some bonus categories, but I think they change every quarter.

    At $3.50 a gallon (premium/E-free), 2% is 0.07/gallon savings, so I am content with just using the Citi Double Cash anyway.

  4. #4
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    28,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    I see no reason to carry around anything other than my Visa card. It is universally accepted. And to be honest I don't even know what the rate on it is because I always pay it off. Personally I would never carry a balance and my advice to you and anyone else would be to do the same. "People who understand interest earn it. People who don't, pay it".
    For me, reason would be getting a bit more gas-specific reward points.

    I drive every day so a little bit adds up.

  5. #5
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    28,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    I think Humby is talking about bonuses... I also pay off my balance every month, but I use a couple of CCs for the cash-back/points bonuses.

    My go to card is a Citi Double Cash CC, it gives back 2% on all purchases (1% on purchase +1% on balance pay off). When I travel to the EU, I use Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa, as it has no "foreign transaction fee" and it has decent exchange rates.. There are gas cards that give you better percentage though, up to ~5% back I believe on some. I know Discover gives back more than 2% back in some bonus categories, but I think they change every quarter.
    Yep. Thanks. My Safeway (west coast) already offers 10 or 20 cents off per gallon, redeemable through Chevrons. I'll see what their cards looks like. Wonder if you can hit them both.

  6. #6
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    28,017
    https://www.chevrontexacocards.com/Chevron/#overview

    To earn Visa Spend Fuel Credits in any billing period you must meet one of the Eligible Purchase thresholds set forth below in that billing period. Eligible Purchases include net purchases (less credits, returns and adjustments) made on your Card Account or Visa Card Account, other than (i) purchases made at Chevron- or Texaco-branded retail locations and (ii) purchases made at any other fuel merchant (“Eligible Purchases”). If your Eligible Purchases in any billing period total: $100.00 to $199.99, you will earn two cents ($0.02) per gallon; $200.00 to $299.99, you will earn four cents ($0.04) per gallon; $300.00 to $399.99, you will earn six cents ($0.06) per gallon; $400.00 to $499.99, you will earn eight cents ($0.08) per gallon; and $500.00 or more, you will earn ten cents ($0.10) per gallon. A maximum of $300 in Visa Spend Fuel Credits may be earned in any calendar year.
    Rewards look good but damn!
    Pay this one off in full like clockwork.

    29.99% interest
    https://apply.syf.com/cs/groups/publ...oc/e030542.pdf

    I'm paying 13.99% on my main card.

    CA gas is about $4.40 right now, nothing to do with the east coast pipeline.

    Spend about $160 per month on gas, could throw some stuff on that card to get a better discount.

    If nothing else, can cancel it after that first 30 cents per gallon back after 3 months.
    Last edited by Humboldt; 05-14-21 at 12:09 AM.

  7. #7
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    11,030
    Blog Entries
    6
    Yeah, 30c/gal may be worth it, but .02/.04 is not. The double-cash CC I mentioned at 2% back would give you about $0.09 / gallon. ($4.40 * 2%). You can always use one of these loyalty/rewards gas cards that are not credit cards in combination with a regular CC too.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Easto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    5,321
    I get the whole rewards and cash back theory. But every time I read the small print it doesn't seem to be as great as they first sounded. I just can't convince myself that there isn't some sort of "catch", or that any small misstep on my part will generate some huge fees and negate any benefit. I'm sure that's why they actually offer them. I would hazard a guess that the majority of people default on them and that's why they keep offering them.

  9. #9
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    11,030
    Blog Entries
    6
    Yeah, many offers are introductory and/or temporary, they make people jump through hoops/vary the reward you end up missing on a lot of those offers. That's part of the reason I have simplified it to using a straight 2% cash back on everything card, I don't have to think about using one in grocery stores, another at gas stations, third at restaurants, etc.

  10. #10
    Junior Member MadDoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Looks dark
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Yeah, many offers are introductory and/or temporary, they make people jump through hoops/vary the reward you end up missing on a lot of those offers. That's part of the reason I have simplified it to using a straight 2% cash back on everything card, I don't have to think about using one in grocery stores, another at gas stations, third at restaurants, etc.
    My I introduce the MD credit card. Some restriction apply. Our phone lines are open.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

  11. #11
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    28,017
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    My I introduce the MD credit card. Some restriction apply. Our phone lines are open.

    Rewards (we call them perks) include weekly barn sessions, tick dips, and streaming shearing.

    New members get a free 10oz electric lube warmer. Just 5 minutes and you're all set!
    I'll pass, thank you though.

  12. #12
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    11,030
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    I'll pass, thank you though.
    MD CC has a lot of benefits, or so I've heard.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

  13. #13
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    28,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    so I've herd.
    Nope.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •