Thread: God damn shoplifters

God damn shoplifters

One on Saturday morning, 4 minutes after we opened.

Nasty transient couple who screamed "watch us, we will rip you off" comes in.

Guy has a dog in his arms and realized within 90 seconds neither clerk was paying any attention to him.

Grabbed a dog harness, tucked it under the dog, pocketed it directly in front of a camera 30 seconds later.

Lit into the crew that morning. Explained we have 40 high end cameras blanketing the store that are worthless if no one's watching them.
    This guy stole from us in the first 90 seconds he was inside, but no one ever mentioned him.

We all have radios and I need to be made aware, in my back office, when there's someone I need to watch.
    Be aware of who is in the store, if they have any flags, what they're carrying that's pocketable.

Same employee also used a magnet key to unlock a high-theft leather collar for them, kept locked for a reason, but then let them wander around the store with it for 15 minutes!
    She bought the collar but I had to get the harness back from the guy outside after viewing the footage.

Sunday Monday off, today was even better.

Early 60's guy, long story short, saw him on camera pocketing a $25 item.

Waiting for him outside, he denied it but handed it over as soon as we mentioned the police.

Kicker...he signed up for a rewards card, and I recognized the name.

Used to own my house, sold it to the couple I bought it from.

Just got out of prison after serving 20 years for killing his wife in the bathtub with a metal bar and burying her with a backhoe.

Looked at the footage again, saw he also took a $45 product, called him and asked if he wanted to return it or if we should contact his parole officer.

Had it back within 30 minutes.

Ahh, retail.

That's crazy. All the time and energy that's spent just trying to keep things safe. Personally I think I would have called the police on almost every one of them. Get the word out that you're not taking any $*** from people... period.

Blog Entries
    Wow, the story about the guy you kind of know sounds crazy, I doubt he'd ever learn any better unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    That's crazy. All the time and energy that's spent just trying to keep things safe. Personally I think I would have called the police on almost every one of them. Get the word out that you're not taking any $*** from people... period.
    I'd love to, but the shoplifters would be sitting at home before the police ever showed up at the store.

We make 100% certain before we accuse anyone, and at that point they're either at the register or already out the door.

Hell, we had some guy steal a baby parrot about 15 years ago.

Found him about 4 blocks away. Found the bird in a cardboard box in a back alley. He tossed it over a fence when he saw the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Wow, the story about the guy you kind of know sounds crazy, I doubt he'd ever learn any better unfortunately.
    Doesn't seem like he's learned his lesson does it?

You can't make this sh*t up.

Is there a value limit as to where it turns from "normal" shoplifting to a felony?

Is there a value limit as to where it turns from "normal" shoplifting to a felony?
    State by state, but in most places that still have a threshold I think $500 and $1000 are the most common.

Years ago a cop rolled his eyes when I filed a report on a $10 item stolen.

His partner watched the footage though and said, "Give me 30 minutes"

Came back with the stolen collar, said he found the guy with $400, a huge ball of hash, and a warrant.

That cop thanked me.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post

Just got out of prison after serving 20 years for killing his wife in the bathtub with a metal bar and burying her with a backhoe.l.
    So...does your lawn grow thicker in a certain area?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

One on Saturday morning, 4 minutes after we opened.

Nasty transient couple who screamed "watch us, we will rip you off" comes in.

Guy has a dog in his arms and realized within 90 seconds neither clerk was paying any attention to him.

Grabbed a dog harness, tucked it under the dog, pocketed it directly in front of a camera 30 seconds later.

Lit into the crew that morning. Explained we have 40 high end cameras blanketing the store that are worthless if no one's watching them.
    This guy stole from us in the first 90 seconds he was inside, but no one ever mentioned him.

We all have radios and I need to be made aware, in my back office, when there's someone I need to watch.
    Be aware of who is in the store, if they have any flags, what they're carrying that's pocketable.

Same employee also used a magnet key to unlock a high-theft leather collar for them, kept locked for a reason, but then let them wander around the store with it for 15 minutes!
    She bought the collar but I had to get the harness back from the guy outside after viewing the footage.

Sunday Monday off, today was even better.

Early 60's guy, long story short, saw him on camera pocketing a $25 item.

Waiting for him outside, he denied it but handed it over as soon as we mentioned the police.

Kicker...he signed up for a rewards card, and I recognized the name.

Used to own my house, sold it to the couple I bought it from.

Just got out of prison after serving 20 years for killing his wife in the bathtub with a metal bar and burying her with a backhoe.

Looked at the footage again, saw he also took a $45 product, called him and asked if he wanted to return it or if we should contact his parole officer.

Had it back within 30 minutes.

Ahh, retail.
    That's wild! I've been reading your stories for years here on theft, Never ends and seems to be getting more brazen. I couldn't do it. Glad you're still in business. Good to see ya on the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    So...does your lawn grow thicker in a certain area?
    Not my house.

I bought this house from the woman he sold to. He moved one town north and killed her there.

Got busted a year later only because he lied to the insurance adjuster trying to make a claim on her car.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    That's wild! I've been reading your stories for years here on theft, Never ends and seems to be getting more brazen. I couldn't do it. Glad you're still in business. Good to see ya on the boards.
    Hey Pete

Still here. Yeah, the shoplifting has just gotten worse with the masks.

Business is booming. Both in-store and online.

We took over another 1000 sq ft and moved our shipping department next door, hired 3 new employees, and are still slammed.

I was reading that since during the pandemic so many people have been buying puppies and other pets that the pet supply industry looks pretty solid for years to come.

I was reading that since during the pandemic so many people have been buying puppies and other pets that the pet supply industry looks pretty solid for years to come.
    I can vouch for it.

In-store is rock solid and online sales have been ridiculous, though relatively random.

We took over another 1000 sq ft for our processing and shipping, and tripled our staff over there.

We see massive spikes in Amazon sales for the most random sh*t.

Lots of reptile purchases during the last year, and people spiffing up their terrariums while stuck at home.

Shipped well over 2000lbs of reptile sand last year, the magnolia leaves 4qt sales about 100 per month.

Black plastic reptile hides/caves we used to sell maybe 5 per year are literally selling 5-10 per day now.

High quality e-collars for dogs? Probably 15 today.

Rolled and dried beef cheeks about 100 per month, but got a single order for 10 today.

Neoprene cat collars, I buy $3,000 worth every month.

Dog treat, one specific 32oz bag, over 2000 lbs last year. And we carry 5 sizes, all do nearly as well.

Random, right?

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    I've been reading your stories for years
    Didn't you remember the one from 15+ years ago about the dog on the counter and the olive oil prints?

Didn't you remember the one from 15+ years ago about the dog on the counter and the olive oil prints?
    I remember the dog and the persimmon seeds! Oh, wait, that was the MadDoc, never mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I remember the dog and the persimmon seeds! Oh, wait, that was the MadDoc, never mind!
    You mean figging?

NWS
    urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=figging

You mean figging?

NWS
    urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=figging
    LMAO!!! So that's why The MadDoc was running so fast! It was confusing as I had never saw him run from SCat before... Who knows the unspeakable things they did!!!! Who would want to!!!!

As a note: Have you ever seen a dog after eating persimmons? All that I can say is, poor dog!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    LMAO!!! So that's why The MadDoc was running so fast! It was confusing as I had never saw him run from SCat before... Who knows the unspeakable things they did!!!! Who would want to!!!!
    You went right to the store, didn't you?