Thread: Bored? Want something to do while stuck indoors?

Bored? Want something to do while stuck indoors?

http://www.justbasic.com/

Hello and good day to everyone at speedguide.
    This is going to sound like an advertisement because, well, it is.
    I'm hoping my status here as a senior member allows me the privilege of promoting this here.
    And I believe there may be a few people here who could absolutely love it as much as I do.
    It took the boredom of isolation away for me, and has since given me tons of things to do.

What am I talking about? I'm talking about Basic programming, like the old days of Basic, but much much better and far far faster execution. Basic as many of you know is an easy language to pick up, even for a person who has never even tried to do any programming. The old Basic was interpreted, this "Just Basic" is compiled.
    I remember years ago a thread here where many members posted a few lines of Basic, so I know there are some here who can already work in the language.

A little about Just Basic -- http://www.justbasic.com/
    I won't post a link to the forums. It is easy enough to find. And very helpful members there as well.

It is an IDE with color coded text to help highlight commands, variable, strings, etc.
    It has a Form editor something like a trimmed down Visual Basic form editor where you can add buttons (with pictures too), check boxes, text boxes, radio buttons, group boxes, graphics boxes, list boxes, combo boxes, and a text editor (yes a built in text editor already made to add to your code if need be).
    Also within the Form editor dwells a code generator to provide the code (shell) for the Form you build that helps to learn the syntax so you can just write your own once you catch on to the syntax.

In the IDE editor (where you write the code) there are options to debug your code, add external apps to the menu that you may want at hand, and to compile/Run your code. Of course there is much more to Just Basic, but I just want to provide some Basics (pun intended) to give you a good idea of it's capabilities, because they are limitless on a Windows PC, especially if you know Windows like most of us here do. Within the language of Just Basic one of the commands "Run" can pass tasks to CMD.EXE eg: run "cmd.exe /c start mspaint.exe", or use run to start one of your own projects, or any of the many Windows built in programs, and settings, plus run any exe file, not to mention editing the registry through cmd.exe etc etc etc (limitless, hear me?). There is also a built in, fairly extensive help file (html format for easy manoeuvring through it.).

You can do graphics, make games, use math as well to draw graphics, using 24 bit color, add pictures, use sprites, the list is long. One command allows mouse tracking (great for games), another scans the keyboard for input, and joystick support (gamers heaven)

You can access com ports to control external hardware.

Along with all the above and much more, links are provided to example code, forums, archives (this program is a few years old), recently (2 years ago) updated to Just basic v2.0.

Another reason I am promoting this is because, if the lack of new interest in this keeps drying up, there may never be another update. You see, the owners/developers have decided to use their time for their latest compilers, like Liberty Basic and Run Basic, which are paid for versions. Just Basic is free, and no royalties if you decide to distribute your apps and get paid for them (using JB's own dll files), and it's really all anyone would ever need to program just about anything on a Windows PC. In fact, I run it in Wine on Linux and it works just as well there too.

I ran into this gem a couple of months ago, and have already created a few programs with it that will run on any Windows machine. It's easy especially if you did some basic in "the old days", but still easy enough for the new guys\gals. My head is spinning with tons of ideas for the future.

Any way, that's that. I hope you guys like it, or at least give it a try. I think some of you will take to it like getting back on a bycycle. Be warned though, it's oject oriented, and a bit (just a bit) different than the old Basic.

Take care my friends, and if you, Philip decide to remove this post it will sadden me, but I'll understand
    Sometimes rules are rules no matter who you are

peace out
    Norm

P.S. I do NOT post this for any monetary gain, nor am I affiliated in any way with Just Basic.
    I just want to share something that has got me excited, and help keep Just Basic alive that is all, and it's the truth.

If you take this down Philip, I heard someone say speedguide will be down for a month.
    Ok, maybe I didn't hear that, but I heard some one might hate you if you do

Norm, I'm glad you found something to help lift you out of these doldrums. I'm still searching.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    P.S. I do NOT post this for any monetary gain, nor am I affiliated in any way with Just Basic.
    I just want to share something that has got me excited, and help keep Just Basic alive that is all, and it's the truth.
    It's all good Normy

If you take this down Philip, I heard someone say speedguide will be down for a month.
    Ok, maybe I didn't hear that, but I heard some one might hate you if you do
    Haha ook

As to Basic, it was fun at some point in time, but I haven't touched in like 20 years, moved on to other languages. As for interpreted languages, I've used PHP for many years now, but I'd like to dabble more in Python.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    It's all good Normy

Haha ook

As to Basic, it was fun at some point in time, but I haven't touched in like 20 years, moved on to other languages. As for interpreted languages, I've used PHP for many years now, but I'd like to dabble more in Python.
    Philip I can't even count or remember how many languages I've worked with over the years. One thing I do remember is how easy it was/is to sit down and write a fairly decent and working program in Basic, in a matter of a few minutes once you get the hang of it. It is possible to make an app like the TCP optimiser with this Just Basic.

Hey, thanks for bending the rules for me Philip.
    Now that you have, I can tell you, I was only going to hate you for a day, maybe two.

Norm, I'm glad you found something to help lift you out of these doldrums. I'm still searching.
    Easto, my old friend, it has brought me back to life. Using Just Basic along with my ole "batch files" I can do anything to Windows registry, or files etc. without even seeing that old black command window. It gives my mouse wheel a break, but now my keyboard is smoking all the time, once again. Not sure if you're a programmer, if not this is about the best and easiest way to start. Give it a shot until you find a better solution to the boredom. "Time flies when you're having fun"

Norm, I dabbled in both VBA and VB but that was a long time ago. I was developing databases and other things in MS Office for our company.

Whoa hey Norm!!!!!
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    Whoa hey Norm!!!!!
    Good to see you're still around downhill

So, has ANYONE tried it yet?
    Anyone?

Come on Humbolt, you tried it didn't you

Blog Entries
    I am too burned out looking at code, I've been moving a few sites to a new server and switching functions from PHP 5 to 7.

I am too burned out looking at code, I've been moving a few sites to a new server and switching functions from PHP 5 to 7.
    ok, you get a pass.

I've been busy writing new code, wiping out the partition with that new code by mistake, building a mobile PC out of a raspberry pi, Building a new workshop here for word working, metal working, glass etc. And on top of that I've been busy posting ads in forums

And, I'm 64 years old now, not a young punk anymore lol

Blog Entries
    ok, you get a pass.

I've been busy writing new code, wiping out the partition with that new code by mistake, building a mobile PC out of a raspberry pi, Building a new workshop here for word working, metal working, glass etc. And on top of that I've been busy posting ads in forums

And, I'm 64 years old now, not a young punk anymore lol
    No vaccine for you! JK

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Wow...memories. I took a Basic class back in high school, did it on the first big Apple computers, saving data on cassettes, and later the 5.25" floppy disks.

Later on, I loved the game "Gorilla Basic"....in the Win3 days.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    YSCat!
    It's been ages

YSCat!
    It's been ages
    I was down your way for a while. Had to drive back from FL....took 3x days, all the return flights last weekend got cancelled..and the rescheduled flights kept backing up for days. So...we kidnapped our rental car..and just drove north...all the way back to CT.

I put almost 2,100 miles on in 14x days.
    We were down there in Anna Maria Island as usual (typically down there 3-4 times a year). Did a few drives south to Nokomis, Englewood, Placida, Boca Grande, Cape Haze. Was supposed to hit Bokelia/Matlacha, but didn't make it.

Couple of days in Clearwater Beach, and then...northbound! Drove by Jax...hear me beep?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    That's a lot of driving, heh.
    Should've stopped for a brew.. Maybe next time - St. Augustine is great, it's like 40 min from me.

The beaches are pretty down south of Tampa Bay, it's much more breezy here on the East coast though.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Should've stopped for a brew.. Maybe next time - St. Augustine is great, it's like 40 min from me.
    Would have loved to, if it was just the wife and I. But had our daughter and her best friend that usually comes with us on vaca in FL....so...had to make fast time for the drive.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Wow...memories. I took a Basic class back in high school, did it on the first big Apple computers, saving data on cassettes, and later the 5.25" floppy disks.

Later on, I loved the game "Gorilla Basic"....in the Win3 days.
    Lucky you. My first was a TRS-80 color computer from Radio Shack.
    No storage at all for about a year. Had to leave it on, or lose it. An old friend at the mine had a Vic 20, same deal, but he managed to make a cassette recorder himself, and then added different gears to get it spinning faster. He was quite an electronics guy back then. We swapped code and rewrote for each others PC's
    Those were the days

Let x =

As if x needed permission lol

ah gees, I forgot to say hi. Maybe I should wait till you wake up from the long sleep you're about to have.
    Good to see you YeOlde