Thread: All Microsoft/Windows devices slow over WiFi

All Microsoft/Windows devices slow over WiFi

Hi All,

I posted in this forum a while ago regarding TCP optimizer and slow wifi connections. I ended up fixing by using powerline to my important devices. I have changed my office setup and would love to get the WiFi working properly. My issue was that the TCP optimizer worked for a short time after setting optimal setting, getting full 40 Mbps on WiFi. But then performance would return to what is shown in the video link. You can see in the video the throttling issue, also the far better upload speed. I am on an NBN 50 plan in Australia, so I should be getting 50 Mbps down and 20 up.

Does anyone know the cause of this issue? Windows devices (desktop, laptop, and an xbox360s) appear to be actively throttling the WiFi connection. They all perform perfectly on WiFi. Is this likely an issue with the end devices? or the router? I have used two routers and they both performed the same, but I am not familiar with any settings that could make a difference.

https://youtu.be/mg-17D_PcrU

Thanks in advance for any insights provided.

sorry that was supposed to be "they all perform perfectly over ethernet"

Blog Entries
    If "they all perform perfectly over ethernet", then you should look into the Wi-Fi adapter settings, and the router Wi-Fi capabilities.

What is your router model? Can you disable "802.11g" mode on it and use "N only" ?
    I would read and go through the recommendations here: https://www.speedguide.net/articles/...ed-tweaks-5681
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

The router is an ASUS DSL-AC68U. Previously I was using the Telstra Smart Gen 2 Modem (ISP provided modem). Although that article is very thorough, I have been through it previously, and either the options described there do not have an influence on my connection, or I cannot find an equivalent setting for my router.

I did just set the router to N/AC mixed, and my network card on my PC to N only. This had no effect.

Something I haven't been through yet, but will once I finish work today.
    https://www.speedguide.net/articles/...imization-3449

Blog Entries
    Your router is quite-capable of better Wi-Fi speeds.
    N/AC mixed is better than G, as G compatibility can limit your throughput to 54Mbps.

How far are your clients? Are you using a non-congested, non-overlappling Wi-Fi channel? Try the phone app "Wi-Fi Analyzer" to find good unused channels to use.

Hi Philip,

I have finally had time to go through the WiFi recommendations on that page, and for the ones I could understand or see an equivalent in Windows or my Router, there was no effect.

Not sure if this is an issue, but to be clear about my setup, all windows devices are Windows 10 pro. I am currently building a new PC that will also be running 10 pro and I will be interested to see if this performs the same.

My channel is currently 165 and seems to be pretty clear. I moved it around a couple of times and there was no effect. It doesn't appear I can attach images in this forum to show you?

My next plan is probably to buy another DSL-AC68U and set it up as an AiMesh node and use ethernet from the node. Are there any issues with speed/performance with using wifi nodes like this?

Thanks,

Benjamin Starling

Blog Entries
    Mesh nodes connect to clients over Wi-Fi. They can connect to each other (the backhaul link) via a different Wi-FI channel, or better yet over Ethernet cable.

If you want to connect a router so that it receives internet connectivity wirelessly, and connected to your client device/computer via Ethernet, this is called a "wireless client" mode, so it may have to be set to that particular mode rather than mesh. If you are getting a second Asus router, I'd just try mesh mode first, where you use wired backhaul channel between the routers, and connect clients wirelessly to see how that works.

Regardless of the second router, you should be getting much better wireless speeds if your current router is in range, and your clients Wi-fi adapters are capable of 802.11N or AC speeds.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Hi Philip,

Thanks for all your help so far. I definitely do get better internet and WiFi speeds. We have a linux PC, two iPads, two iPhones, and Macbook Air, Nintendo Switch, all of which get the speeds I expect. It is just Windows devices. This has just come to a head recently as I am now up to 4 Windows PC's for work and the powerline ethernet is not cutting it. I'll be getting the routers and I'll let you know how it goes.