I have an older ThermalTake docking station. I bought a eSATA backplate which I have connected to SATA port 7 on my Mobo. I've enabled Hot Swappable for that port in the BIOS. Everything seems to be working except for these anomalies. Maybe I'm just not wrapping my head around it properly but...

If there is power to the docking station but no drive inserted the computer will not boot. If I leave the power off until I'm in Windows, then insert a drive and turn on the power the drive is not showing in Disk Management or File Explorer. The only way to get it to work is to have a drive inserted and the docking station power turned on before starting my computer. I'm guessing that this is so that the BIOS can recognize the drive. Doing it this way everything is shown as expected.

I really don't want to run it this way. I was going to use it for backups. At the end of the night insert the drive and turn on the power and do my backups. I didn't want the drive exposed to my computing session all day and possibly lose that drive or data due to a malware or ransomware attack.