Thread: Is PayPal still relevant?

Question Is PayPal still relevant?

For the record, I do have a PP account from way back (haven't used it in years). But the other day while on a site that uses it, it seemed like you can pay via them without an account? Do I really still need this account? For the last couple of years, every time I look at it I wonder what I'm keeping it for? Back in the day you were forced to use them on certain sites. Now it seems like they don't have the stranglehold on payments like they used to.

Blog Entries
    It is not necessary for most sites. It used to be a requirement for fleaBay.. now they also allow for direct credit card payments, however, some sellers only accept Paypal. The reason for this is it offers some seller/buyer protections for "confirmed" addresses.

If you don't shop on eBay I can't think of a reason it would be necessary to have.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I wasn't quite sure what I was seeing and I guess it's true. Personally, if someone doesn't want to take my Visa number I'll just move on to another venue. I will keep my PP open since we have a few relatives that we send money to and they prefer getting it that way.

It's one of several payment methods at my store, still normally get 3 or 4 PP payments per day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    It's one of several payment methods at my store, still normally get 3 or 4 PP payments per day.
    From a store point of view it makes sense to have it. Some people keep a balance in their PayPal account from previous transactions and it is easier to spend it first, rather than using credit, or transferring it to a bank account before use. I know I sometimes use it as a payment method in online stores if I have a balance in my PayPal account, or when I use eBay.

Humby, are you referring to online transactions/payments or people that walk in? If it is an online store, what platform does it use, hosted or third-party, just curious what works for you. I've set a couple of online stores, osCommerce before and WooCommerce lately.
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post

Humby, are you referring to online transactions/payments or people that walk in? If it is an online store, what platform does it use, hosted or third-party, just curious what works for you. I've set a couple of online stores, osCommerce before and WooCommerce lately.
    Well we're both brick & mortar and online, but PayPal is one of the options for online sales.

Not sure if this answers your question, but we host the site on our own servers and maintain the site ourselves
    The website is linked very closely to our inventory program so we can tweak descriptions and pricing and weight/dimensions right there.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it answers my question generally, so it is a self-hosted ecommerce store. It's cool that you have it linked with your inventory program.
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Yeah, it answers my question generally, so it is a self-hosted ecommerce store. It's cool that you have it linked with your inventory program.
    Wouldn't be much good if it wasn't

Also linked to the POS. The second someone buys something in-store, stock levels reflect that on the website. Same for when we check something in, the product immediately becomes available online.

Philip, I tried to respond to your PM but lost it the first time I think after being prompted to log in again.

Wrote a second response but it doesn't show in "sent PM"

You get either one?

Blog Entries
    Got it thanks, cheers
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Blog Entries
    PP is used by some for buying and selling OG nyms. Twitter/email addresses/Instagram etc.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche