Thread: Sandy bridge cpu Windows 10 Problems?

Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar

Sandy bridge cpu Windows 10 Problems?

I ran into an issue on an old computer with a sandy bridge processor after a windows 10 update about a year ago...the video became unstable. The fix was to uninstall Nvidia drivers and use the windows driver. Graphics card is gtx 260.

I believe the latest win 10 updates have broken the video again. Should I roll back the updates? It was stable about 3 months ago but I could even go back by a year or so to when the Nvidia drivers were working.

If I buy a more modern video card will it resolve the issue or will this sandy bridge processor cause issues with any video card on this system?

Looking for some opinions, otherwise itís going to be a process of trial and error. The computer is unusable outside of safe mode as it stands.

Blog Entries
    You have 3 options basically, if you want to continue running the latest Windows 10 builds.

1) Find older working drivers for that card, uninstall current ones and just try different ones. Since that card is supposedly not compatible with Windows 10, you will have to find old driver versions from third parties, something like that?
    https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GR...0-64-bit.shtml

2) Remove the video card and use the on-board video from the motherboard.

3) Upgrade the video card to a more current generation

I donít believe thereís an onboard video card but I could be wrong.

Iím just trying to understand why a new video card solves the problem. Is something like a simple gtx 1030 enough to solve the problem Or does the video card need to be newer than that?

Itís hard to justify throwing significant money at this machine ...

Blog Entries
    Most Intel machines have built-in video, it is easy to see by looking at the motherboard panel in the back of the machine - just see if there is some type of VGA/DVI/HDMI port.
    You should also try to find a working driver for that video card, did you try the link above?

GTX 1030 would work for the time being, but it is not very future-proof, and shouldn't be necessary.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

I get this funny error indicating it doesn't think that driver is for Win10 64 bit.

I'm doing a bit of work to really be sure all old NVIDIA files are gone off of this computer. I'm not so sure that error message is going to change though.

Name:  gtx260driver.PNG
Views: 99
Size:  4.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Most Intel machines have built-in video, it is easy to see by looking at the motherboard panel in the back of the machine - just see if there is some type of VGA/DVI/HDMI port.
    You should also try to find a working driver for that video card, did you try the link above?

GTX 1030 would work for the time being, but it is not very future-proof, and shouldn't be necessary.
    This is a Dell XPS 435T/9000, I don't see any sign of a built in video card.

I tried those drivers, I posted the error that I received in another post.

If I tried a more modern video card such as a GTX 1650 would that buy me a good chunk of time?

I did check your model and you do not have onboard video connection from the mobo. Have you tried removing and reseating the vidoo card (just for the fun of it). Also, I would try using the Nvidia utility to delete all traces of the card and driver and then start again with the card and drives as if it was the first time installing. Also, I would try it from a "stable" configuration, make sure your monitor and card are set to default settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    I did check your model and you do not have onboard video connection from the mobo. Have you tried removing and reseating the vidoo card (just for the fun of it). Also, I would try using the Nvidia utility to delete all traces of the card and driver and then start again with the card and drives as if it was the first time installing. Also, I would try it from a "stable" configuration, make sure your monitor and card are set to default settings.
    I can try to clear drivers out and try reseating the card (not optimistic the latter will do anything). The video card seems stable when Iím in windows safe mode with a basic windows display driver. All of the instability coincides with Windows 10 updates. There was a bad one about a year ago and then in the past couple of months another round of problems that seem related to updates.

If a new $200 video card would solve the problem guaranteed Iíd be happy to do than spend hours trying to fix it.

Blog Entries
    GTX 1030 would work for the next few years, and it's less than $90 on Amazon and Newegg.
    If you want a better performance modern generation card, you'd have to jump to a GTX1650 for ~$160 - they are a bit harder to find and out of stock in many places right now, may have something to do with the boom in cryptocurrency prices heh.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Another link to help you find a driver....

https://driverscollection.com/?H=GeF...%2010%2064-bit

Good to see you purecomedy

I think Iíll make getting that 1650 the target. As you say with crypto has made these cards a little hard to find. I do like Amazon return policy, a local shop here often has better prices but a really weak return policy.

Iíll try the driver angle a little more if I can find a little spare time thanks for that other link.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Another link to help you find a driver....

https://driverscollection.com/?H=GeF...%2010%2064-bit

Good to see you purecomedy
    Good to see you too! I still like this forum, it been around a long time, I remember I used to use a few more in the past too. I don't really feel like social media has taken the place of forums yet forums have really tailed off over time. Not sure why.