Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stock Market

I think once pot is decriminalized on the Federal level that's when there might be some quantifiable advantage to owning them. Once they can use the federal banking system there will be more of a window into their true worth.

Blog Entries
    4/20 is tomorrow... And coincidentally, the Congress is about to vote on the "SAFE Banking Act" to enable banks to serve MJ businesses.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Back when the 2017 Q4 crypto-craze happened I considered getting into crypto mining, (after I finished crying for having a server room in my house back when BTC was born but instead thought folding@home was cooler and more productive) but then crypto tanked and so I thought, why not invest in companies that make hardware for mining equipment and so instead of investing in crypto, I invested in tech stocks such as TSI (Tiawan Semiconductor), Intel, AMD, Lattice Semiconductor, etc.. I scored a 265% return on TSI alone. I began dual investing.. buying stocks and crypto currency almost equally. My crypto portfolio is blowing my stock portfolio away due to this ridiculous bull run, but both portfolios doing pretty solid so far. I can't complain.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Blog Entries
    I sold the little BTC I had when BTC price was around 25k, in retrospect I should've kept it a bit longer but oh well :/ I have some ETH, and an ETH mining rig with six GTX-1070s that makes a few bucks per day mining.

Stock market has been good to most people in the past 12 months, future is a bit more uncertain to me.
    Just sold some CCL PUT options expiring 4/23 and 4/30th in the dip today.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post

Think it's about time to purchase some airline stock.
    Months back my father was still pissed about United not refunding his tickets from March 2020 for him and my sister to visit me (round-trip NC to CA, not cheap) that they cancelled when cases hit the fan.

CA cases were popping up on the radar, then doubling.

He had a doctor's recommendation for cancelling, sister was an authorized caregiver.

No refund.

He waited, saw them drop, bought big and sold perfect.

Bought at 32 and sold at 62.

Made the plane tickets back many times over.
    Last edited by Humboldt; 04-21-21 at 11:41 PM.

Missed the Costco drop, 311 March 8, back to 374 today.

Damn it.

At this point in time I honestly have a lot of faith that once the virus is controlled we'll experience a surge in growth like no other. It may only last 2-3 years, but I think the elation about being able to get a job and return to "normal" will put everyone in a hyper positive mood about almost everything. I see my growth funds booming over the next few years. I also think investing in any blue chip company will reap a generous profit over the same period of time.

The market reacts to Biden's plan to raise the Capital Gains tax on millionaires. I sort of get a kick out of seeing the market take at least a 1 day dip. I mean, if you're worth millions you're definitely going to be in the market and your exposure to a capital gains tax is virtually unavoidable. Life will go on.

How're you guys doing? CCL is finally taking an upward turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    I'm not invested in CCL, but as to my overall portfolio I'm having a pretty good year. My big gainers are a couple of Growth Funds along with a S&P 500 ETF to keep me on a level playing field.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Had some nearly penny stock in a renewable energy company (PVDG), it had plummeted. Went through a recompany re-org...emerged as VirExit (VXIT) and stocks soared that morning. I sold at double what I paid that morning...before it started settling again and the day traders were fast dumping. One of my few luckies in a while.

Bummed that the 2x direct pot stocks I had before and dumped....are now doing good. Yet the pot ETF MSOS isn't doing as well...of course I still have a pocket full of that.

Happy that Ubiquiti (UI) is still steadily climbing after the recent data breach and plummet of its stock.

AMD is still bouncing around a little...hoping it will climb more and I know it will, I bought another bunch about 2 weeks ago....I'll keeping buying a bit more every quarter until it starts a steep climb again.

Although I have a large % of my 401 in Fidelities 500 Index and that's done very well lately, I'm thinking of taking a third of that and sliding into Fidelities OTC Portfolio...I just have a feeling this will be a good year for their managed OCT fund with so much restructuring about to happen.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Although I have a large % of my 401 in Fidelities 500 Index and that's done very well lately, I'm thinking of taking a third of that and sliding into Fidelities OTC Portfolio...I just have a feeling this will be a good year for their managed OCT fund with so much restructuring about to happen.
    In English please?

In English please?
    S&P 500 is a standard large "fund"...and many different brands of financial management companies have their own versions of that. We go through Fidelity at my office, so I have Fidelities 500 Index fund as a good 60% of my portfolio.
    Fidelity has a lot of other "funds"...one of which is an OTC fund (I see my typo above...it's OTC, not OCT). OTC is Over The Counter. Normally this is for, entry level stocks, those companies which have stocks...but have not natured enough to get on the mighty Nasdag list or New York Stock Exchange list. Usually OTC stocks are much more "volatile"...and a lot of day traders play here.

There "can be" a lot of money to be made in OTC, if you're really into the game, which day traders are. There's also lots of risk, money to be lost. But the gains can be substantial. They invest in smaller to middle size companies that have good signs of growth, and also invest in high tech. To compare ..for the past 10 years, Fidelity 500 Index averaged about 12% returns, and the Fidelity OTC fund (FOCPX) has returned about 17%.

I have a feeling, based on Bidens recent speech, that his also following the goal of "bringing jobs back to America", and "bringing research back to America", and "high tech back to America"...that we will see renewed enthusiasm moving things along and I just have a hunch new, and small...growing companies...will be doing really well in upcoming years.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

S&P 500 is a standard large "fund"...and many different brands of financial management companies have their own versions of that. We go through Fidelity at my office, so I have Fidelities 500 Index fund as a good 60% of my portfolio.
    Smart man.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Blog Entries
    ...I just have a hunch new, and small...growing companies...will be doing really well in upcoming years.
    While this is great and I agree with it, I've never made money trying to pick something in OTC. Or, rather, I'd make money on one and promptly lose more than that on another, so I try to stay away from them. Investing into an OTC ETF may be a smarter play though, as you are averaging risk.

I loaded on some tech today in the dip.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    While this is great and I agree with it, I've never made money trying to pick something in OTC. Or, rather, I'd make money on one and promptly lose more than that on another, so I try to stay away from them.
    Totally agree with you. I've lost more on individual ETCs than I've made. It's fun, exciting, but...like a full time job, and you need some "early scoop/insider scoop" to win at that game. Yeah I'll leave that to the day traders.
    So the Fidelity OTC fund (FOCPX)will be my next shift...I just have a feeling it'll be extra strong over the next couple of years.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I do have a percentage of my portfolio in a small cap fund and it has been doing well. I think one of the places we're going to see some growth is in small cap companies. With the work at home landscape seeming to take root, I think the smaller cap companies are the ones that will have employees actually back in the office and working on ways to grow their companies and this will really work to their advantage. There will always be Large Cap growth, but I think the stars are aligning for smaller companies to come into their own.