Thread: Due to Covid, what has closed near you?

Due to Covid, what has closed near you?

The wife and I were taking a route that we normally don't take and we started to notice all the boarded up and closed businesses. I've seen several dry cleaners that are closed and there have been a couple of smaller restaurants that didn't make it.

Lots.

Smallest businesses seemed to go first. Customers who ran day-care out of their houses, younger small stores and restaurants that had just been around a year or so, still trying to pay back their opening costs.

Then the ATT store across from my office closed, at least 6 months ago.

For better or worse we're just slammed with business.

Blog Entries
    I saw a few small businesses close, mostly small restaurants that didn't adapt/change to expand their delivery business.

Just a couple restaurants that I've noticed so far.

There is a main small town street (2nd street) that runs through a section of Long Beach called Belmont Shore. Probably about 80-100 small business. I'm guessing about 15% have closed.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately small businesses are the most vulnerable, they don't have any cushion to weather long-term closures and revenue slumps.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Although it's been years since I was self--employed, I do know how venerable a small business can be to the ups and downs of the economy. I also know what a struggle the first several years can be. I just really feel sorry for the people who chose the wrong time, by no fault of their own, to start a new business right before all this happened. To have all your money and energy resting on the success of your business and then seeing everything just fall apart would have to be the worst feeling ever.

I'm sure there's a certain percentage of these businesses that would have failed no matter what. When you see trendy things like people opening cupcake shops or another hip coffee shop you can't help but think... "What are those people thinking?". Regarding the shops along 2nd Street, there is always a turnover. You have your established businesses that have a fundamental standing and need for the community, but then there is about 15% that seem to be going out of business after 3-5 years.

Blog Entries
    There always seemed to be a high failure rate of startup businesses in the food/retail/services industry. I am not sure of the exact impact of Covid-19, but I imagine it is devastating, especially if they didn't change/adapt somehow. It has impacted many industries and businesses, advertising revenue on SG is down too.
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

It's not just small businesses. 4 out of 5 of the 24 hour fitness centers in my area have closed or are at least stating they are temporarily closed.

Boarded up haven't seen anything..

I suppose some smaller business shut down, that I don't know about.

Blog Entries
    Small restaurants and gyms which could not adapt. It is difficult to watch. Much like watching a Walmart kill off small retail.

A number of dental offices could not recover, hygienists being frightened to come back to work. I cannot blame them.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

A number of dental offices could not recover, hygienists being frightened to come back to work. I cannot blame them.
    Yes, we've actually put off our scheduled teeth cleaning and a crown due to Covid. I'm wondering how our DDS is doing. Now that I think of it we haven't received the usual postcard in the mail reminding us that we are due.

Blog Entries
    Smaller businesses do suffer. Our DDS seems to be busy, they're scheduling cleanings 6 months in advance :/ I must admit I am not doing those regularly, especially now with the virus, but my daughter/wife got an appointment for March.
    ๑۩۞۩๑