Thread: Kitchen Remodel

Angry Kitchen Remodel

I've promised Mrs. Easto a new kitchen. We got great a reliable contractor who came in with a great price. I've put in about 40 hours scouring websites looking for the brand and style of appliances we wanted. We've been to the flooring store and agreed on what we want. We have the window covering girl coming by to give us some ideas. The contractor has given us a start date about 2 weeks in advance, monies have been moved into the checking account, now all I have to do is order the appliances and get them here.

I go online to the local appliance store, pick out everything and put it in my cart. After the purchase a message pops up saying someone will be contacting me regarding the delivery day etc. I'm thinking no big deal, we're not starting for 2 weeks and this stuff won't be installed until at least the 2nd week of the job, so I'm sitting pretty. To make a long story short, one of the items may not be available until mid February. 2 of them probably not until December, WTF! So, after cancelling the order and trying to find out who might be carrying the items we want, I find out that the whole appliance industry has slowed down to a snails pace regarding logistics and availability and this happens to be a well know fact from whoever I talk to. The contractor has been told that we're still doing it but it won't be until the first of next year.

I know you will all have suggestions. But we know what we want and that's what we're going with. Mrs. Easto even said, this is what she wanted and if we have to wait we have to wait.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, my brother-in-law just went through a similar thing, he ordered appliances and was told the wait is at least 2 months. There is a real shortage and boom in demand for some reason. It is also likely many of the parts are manufactured in China. Both manufacturing and the whole supply chain seem to be interrupted/shocked/slowed down by the trade war and the virus.

Dang, Easto, we are at the mercy of the suppliers.

Back in the beginning of April, (order date April 9) when Tom Brady signed with the Bucs, I ordered a Tom Brady uniform (#12) in Pewter color, our alternate uniform. The expensive authentic jersey for the guy that does my front yard. (Back yard, large, and lake done by different people)

I was told ship date before September 15. On September 15, I received an email of October 15 ship date. On October 15, I received an email saying November 12 ship date...
    Each email had a larger discount for a new order, last being 40% off entire new order. Like I am going to risk waiting another 6 months... Granted it was a new color. The email blamed it on the supplier and covid. (I finally received it Saturday)
    Did I mention this was from NFL.COM...

(I hate to say that my son has told me that he wants 3 authentic jerseys, hopefully red or white, not pewter!, his buddy that he has season tickets with, wants 3 and several of their friends want jerseys, so 40% off of an order of several thousand (each jersey is about $300) can be quite the savings. I'm just hoping it won't take 6 months for delivery!)

Anyway, this is just 1 issue as I have encountered many.

I do hope that you can get the ones the Mrs. wants. You don't want to have to redo it in a couple of years! Good luck! (And remember pictures, inquiring minds and all that jazz!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    A lot of people are doing home rennovations during this "work from home/COVID" thing we're going through.
    Also the home sales market has absolutely exploded, gone wild. People buying up homes out in the 'burbs...to move out of the cities. So they're renovating those country homes they're buying. My wife is crazy busy, she's a Realtor. Her contractors are backed up.

What I recommend you look into are the better appliance stores. The "big chains" like blowes or homeless depot are low in stock, but the better, more local appliance stores tend to still be stocked up well, at least the ones in our area (we have a few as clients).
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    What I recommend you look into are the better appliance stores. The "big chains" like blowes or homeless depot are low in stock, but the better, more local appliance stores tend to still be stocked up well, at least the ones in our area (we have a few as clients).
    That was actually what I was doing. In my local area there are 2 well-known appliances stores that have been in business for 40 years. One of them just had some huge cutbacks and closed about half of their stores. The place I'm dealing with is also well-known and highly regarded. No matter where I go there isn't anyone who can get their hands on this stuff without approximately a 2 month lead time. Everywhere I call whether it's local or web based... it's the exact same story.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    That was actually what I was doing. In my local area there are 2 well-known appliances stores that have been in business for 40 years. One of them just had some huge cutbacks and closed about half of their stores. The place I'm dealing with is also well-known and highly regarded. No matter where I go there isn't anyone who can get their hands on this stuff without approximately a 2 month lead time. Everywhere I call whether it's local or web based... it's the exact same story.
    Wow..that's odd. Esp hearing they're doing cutbacks. Up here they're flat out. Matter of fact one of ours bought up their competition a few towns over..and they're always adding new staff.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I did some more digging today and was able to find almost all of it with a delivery date before the end of December. I'm pretty excited. Although, the induction cooktop we had our hearts set on is nowhere to be found. We going to go with a different brand and I don't think a flat black cooktop is really going to have more personality that another. Still, getting exactly what you want isn't easy right now.

That is a crazy long delay for appliances. Not totally surprised, but still. I'm hoping you have smooth sailing from here!

Quote Originally Posted by Paft View Post
    That is a crazy long delay for appliances. Not totally surprised, but still. I'm hoping you have smooth sailing from here!
    Thanks, and yes it was a huge surprise to me. But, in all reality I guess I should have really figured that something like this was possible during these times. I have found a place that looks like they can have me all setup by mid December.