Thread: Flushed my radiator this weekend

Thumbs up Flushed my radiator this weekend

Original owner of a 2014 Honda Accord LX with 55K.

I try to do as much of the minor maintenance on this car as I'm capable of. Last weekend I decided to flush the coolant. Actually, it was just a "drain and fill". After viewing a couple of YouTube videos it was evident that the procedure was pretty much a "no-brainer".

Everything went as expected. But the one thig that really stood out was that the coolant that came out looked as good as the stuff going in. Any other car that I've done this to, or watched being done, the old coolant always had a tinge of rust in it. After 55K miles this stuff looked as good as the day it was put in.

I really love this car.

Blog Entries
    Hondas are great... I've had a couple of CR-Vs and they just keep running, the biggest issue with the old CR-V was the AC compressor went bad and I had to be replaced, but no engine/transmission issues whatsoever.

I do some car maintenance myself, like changing brake pads, but for oil changes and such I usually go to a shop. The Honda dealership around here has really good prices on oil changes actually (~$45 full synthetic with car wash), I suppose they try to get you in the door with this and upsell on all the other services that I always refuse.

I drive a 2011 BMW X3 currently (6-cylinder N52 engine), and I just did an oil change on it myself yesterday afternoon. I just didn't want to deal with shops up-charging me for the brand, and I figured I'd social distance and do it myself. It was somewhat straight-forward, I put good synthetic Castrol oil in it

$45 for a full synth change (including filter?) is a great price. I can pick up a 5qt jug for about $22 at WallyWorld and then a $9 filter from NAPA and I'm good to go for around $34. I've never seen anywhere near me that would do a full Mobil 1 change for less than $65, and that is rare.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, they don't make money on the oil changes, but they always have a sheet of "recommended services" for at least another $2-300, I imagine that's where they make their money, besides getting you to test newer models, trade-ins and such.

As to my Beemer, I got a couple of 5qt jugs of Castrol 0-40 full synthetic (Euro-car approved) on Amazon $22 ea., and a pair of filters for $16 (they are just inserts, and include a couple of o-rings and a crush washer for the drain plug). The car takes 6.9qt of oil.

The local (HUGE) Honda dealer is always sending me stuff regarding "Service" specials. They regularly run an add where they'll change your air and cabin filter for $120.00. YIKES! I usually buy 2 or 3 of those filters at a time from Amazon and if you were to break it down I think a cabin and air filter total about $21.00. I can change both of those filters on the Honda in 5 minutes. $120 for that service is straight out robbery.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, they try to sell me those every time I go there as well, lol. Along with slightly more useful but overpriced stuff like windshield wipers, brake fluid flushes, transmission fluid flushes, alignment every 30k miles, etc. A lot of it is just praying on unsuspecting people, I don't like it, but just seems reality of life.