Thread: Windows 7 users, Stop auto updates!

Exclamation Windows 7 users, Stop auto updates!

Have you been having issues since the "unsupported" Windows 7 had the 'Edge' browser update slipped in?

I am posting this a bit late, however I do have ~10-12 Windows 7 computers, and about a month or so ago, MS slipped in the Edge browser. This has caused many problems and on some of the computers, the update took a long time to get rid of it.

Since the OS is "unsupported", I never bothered to change (stop) the auto updates. Why would I as it is unsupported?
    Well, thanks to MS and their unknown (shady) browser that now works with 7, it had been installed.

On the 1st computer that started having problems and I realized the update, it took about 2 hours to get rid of it. It did not want to get uninstalled. Then I immediately started blocking updates on all Windows 7 computers. Successful on most, however some still got it before I knew.

I know some people (not in my business network) that received it and have had no problem, however some did get problems...

Just an FYI in case your wondering why things are different or problematic, check your updates...

Still wondering why MS would make a new browser for an unsupported OS... Seems a bit sneaky with perhaps ulterior motives... YMMV...

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    SSD those old computers and get 'em up to Win10!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    SSD those old computers and get 'em up to Win10!
    I second this! Are you trapped into some ancient LOB application that you can't upgrade? I highly recommend upgrading if you can. I've found that even my old Optiplex Core2 Duo desktop was able to upgrade to Windows 10 smoothly and still runs fine to this day on an SSD. My laptop is a 3rd gen core i7 and also runs great after upgrading from 7 to 10.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Whaaat? They ruin their best OS they made? What a surprise... But on a serious note try getting a stripped version of Windows. It shouldn't have telemetry and other Windows junk nobody uses. LTT on YouTube has a video on this.