Thread: Questions about Learning Linux

Question Questions about Learning Linux

Hello Everyone,
    This is my first post on SG forums, I hope you're all OK.

I'm going to learn Linux for the purpose of expanding my computer knowledge and willing to make a good use from my spare time, and maybe make a career shift as I'm sick of Accounting.

I need to ask:
    From where do I start? is there a specific launch point? I mean should I start with the terminal commands directly? or is there something else should I learn first?

And can It run games smoothly like windows does? Games like "Valorant, Apex, Warface, IronSight, RDR, etc.." (please feel free to laugh, it's been tough days)

PC Specs:
    CPU: i5-4440
    VGA: R9 270x Sapphire
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix
    NO SSD
    Last edited by bufce2010; 07-28-20 at 07:16 AM.

People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    Hey Doc

What a great guide, explaining everything from scratch.
    I've this syndrome that I can't read any long text or book, but not with this guide!
    I enjoyed reading the first section (Linux boot) without having breathing problems.

thanks a million.
    Last edited by bufce2010; 07-30-20 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bufce2010 View Post
    Hey Doc

What a great guide, explaining everything from scratch.
    You're welcome. The bill is in the mail.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Best way to learn is to take and older (or newer) computer and install a Linux distribution on it (not dual boot your main computer). Fiddle with it and learn as you go. Then wipe it and install a different distribution on it. Repeat process. Have no concerns about breaking things because you will gain skills fixing things! At first just set out to find out how things work and use it to do basic things like Web browsing, email, etc. Then later, once your skills increase, establish a purpose for using Linux, such as Web server, email server, network attached storage, router, etc. Try out different software packages for these things, there are hundreds of different ones. Fiddling around a few times a week will result in a good working knowledge within year.

I started in 1999 with Debian Stable and setup a Web server and database to manage my business finances using a Web application I built. Still have that old Compaq 333 celeron comp and it still works! Today I can manage Web servers using almost any Linux distro (as a second hobby/business).

I have been dual booting Windows and Debian Unstable on my laptop for 15 years and rarely boot to Windows. I do all my Web development on Linux.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    You're welcome. The bill is in the mail.
    I would pay it gladly

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Best way to learn is to take and older (or newer) computer and install a Linux distribution on it (not dual boot your main computer). Fiddle with it and learn as you go. Then wipe it and install a different distribution on it. Repeat process. Have no concerns about breaking things because you will gain skills fixing things! At first just set out to find out how things work and use it to do basic things like Web browsing, email, etc. Then later, once your skills increase, establish a purpose for using Linux, such as Web server, email server, network attached storage, router, etc. Try out different software packages for these things, there are hundreds of different ones. Fiddling around a few times a week will result in a good working knowledge within year.

I started in 1999 with Debian Stable and setup a Web server and database to manage my business finances using a Web application I built. Still have that old Compaq 333 celeron comp and it still works! Today I can manage Web servers using almost any Linux distro (as a second hobby/business).

I have been dual booting Windows and Debian Unstable on my laptop for 15 years and rarely boot to Windows. I do all my Web development on Linux.
    That's what I should have done 24 years ago when I started learning computer (DOS and win9x), I wouldn't have lost those data, power supplies and HDDs.
    I'll consider your advice seriously. wishing you more success.
    Thanks
    Last edited by bufce2010; 07-31-20 at 09:04 AM. Reason: forgot to say thanks

another option is to run linux in a virtual machine to try it out
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~Vega64~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~4TB storage~6.4TB-ioMemorycard~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats

Blog Entries
    Hi Mark

I've learned (and forgot) a lot by troubleshooting software/OS/hardware issues over the years as well. Linux is interesting because you can customize almost any aspect of the OS. Just install it and use it/play with it, you will learn as much as you want over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    another option is to run linux in a virtual machine to try it out
    yep, that would be a good way to test it without hurting myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Hi Mark

I've learned (and forgot) a lot by troubleshooting software/OS/hardware issues over the years as well. Linux is interesting because you can customize almost any aspect of the OS. Just install it and use it/play with it, you will learn as much as you want over time.
    Yep, trial and error. best way to learn and never forget