Thread: Laptop speed <10Mbps, but all other devices > 100Mbps -after Eeros install

Laptop speed <10Mbps, but all other devices > 100Mbps -after Eeros install

For those familiar with eeros, I just installed two pods today and downloaded the app. When I sit between two of the pods and test internet speeds among devices, my laptop is absolutely garbage and I can't successfully screenshare on a Zoom call (i need this level of performance ~40-50mbps)

Speed test via the eeros app is ~330Mbps,
    iphone speed test app (ookla) shows ~150Mbps,
    my windows 10 laptop xfinity speedtest shows anywhere from 5-12Mbps.

Any thoughts as to why the connection would be so slow to my laptop? My hunch says it's nothing to do with the laptop (restarted, zero tabs, work has pretty hefty virus scanning software)..and it might be with the modem in Bridge mode. Thanks all - on my last gasp here to fix this before monday morning.

helpful stats that could help identify the issue:

1000sqft 1 floor apt.
    Modem: Xfinity Wireless Gateway (in bridge mode - modem only)
    Router: Eeros pods (2) - one in corner by the cable outlet, one in center of house
    Xfinity ISP, up to 500Mbps
    windows 10 computer

It may be your laptop, or rather it's wireless capabilities.

Check this link if you are using wireless - https://www.lifewire.com/how-fast-is...network-816543

Just a thought.

Theoretical Actual
    802.11b 11 Mbps 5.5 Mbps
    802.11a 54 Mbps 20 Mbps
    802.11g 54 Mbps 20 Mbps
    802.11n 600 Mbps 100 Mbps
    802.11ac 1,300 Mbps 200 Mbps
    802.11ax 10 Gbps 2 Gpbs

I also think it could be my laptop, but I have a relatively high end windows machine given by my work... Any links/ideas as to what actions I can take if it is the laptop?

If my eeros app is showing 300 Mbps...would that rule out that my modem is an issue? Like if router shows 300mbps, then the issue can't be upstream devices/services like modem & ISP? Trying to rule out what the issue could be so I can call the right people (calling comcast gets me nowhere.)

FYI - S.O's laptop (macbookpro) has tested between 100-200Mbps while mine was 10-20....a week ago they were both testing between 100-200 so it seems strange to me that my laptop has crapped the bed within a week, during the same exact time i changed my router.

Even though I am paying for 500-600, I'm not expecting that from my laptop...just expecting the 100-300 that I see from my phone/eeros app.

Blog Entries
    Have you tried the TCP Optimizer? It may repair/tweak/improve some issues like that, just set the "optimal" settings. I also agree with Norm that it could be your laptop's network adapter, or the traffic management in your router.

I would also go through the network adapter's settings and follow this guide: https://www.speedguide.net/articles/...imization-3449

Another thought crossed my mind as I visualized your setup. Do you have one of the Pods near the router?
    If so you could be getting some interference.

Also what speeds do you get using the Laptop if you eliminate the Pods (turn them off) and go straight into the wireless router? With Laptop close to router.

Philip mentioned the router settings may be the issue as well. Always follow advice from Philip. His experience is legend.

Blog Entries
    Hi Norm!
    Nah I am just another beach bum, thanks for helping out
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Good to see you Philip.
    millies mentioned he needed help before morning. I had to try.....

Thanks Norm & Phillip for the help! I ended up doing a lot of research into wireless network adapters and found that several other folks had issues with this specific adapter. Long story short, I changed a one HKEY value and moved around the Eeros pods and finally have a decent connection. I am getting xfinity gigabit later this week, so I'm sure I'll probably have some questions after installing new hardware that comes with it.

To answer a couple of questions on 1) setup and 2) speeds:

1) Imagine my house is a square... (1100sqft)
    Top left corner is where the modem is (currently Xfinity Wireless Gateway in bridge mode) and I also have an eeros pod there (never thought about the pod being too close to the modem but will keep that in my troubleshooting bag)
    Bottom Right corner is where my wfh 'desk' is...and I have the 2nd pod about halfway along the bottom line of the square (in the same room as my desk) This setup seemed to work yesterday and I'll try it again today.

2) with laptop close to the modem/router combo, I would get decent speeds ~30-40Mbps, (didn't speedcheck any other devices until this week) but my desk would get <5Mbps. I had to get a wifi extender a couple months ago and it kind of helped.

due to small kids running around, i have to keep my modem & desk where it is. can't change either of those two. I'll look into TCP optimizing & have wanted to look at how to prioritize devices

Thanks again. Will use this thread if any other questions come up.

Blog Entries
    Good to hear you got a decent connection.

The issue with extenders is that they half the network speed and add noise (they have to communicate the same data twice, once with the cable modem, and once with the client device). They also repeat a lot of nuisance data from each client device, multicast packets, etc. It is always better to have a network device (wireless access point, mesh node, etc.) connected with an Ethernet cable to the modem, and communicate wirelessly only with clients. Of course this is not always possible, completely wireless mesh is the next best thing (wireless backhaul). With most extenders you can expect 50% drop.

Having devices next to each other causes electromagnetic interference (EMI), this can include modems, routers, power supplies, even fluorescent lights, etc. It is especially true for wireless devices, and network devices that are not very well shielded. I've even had issues with network cables running in a drop ceiling along fluorescent lights with ballasts. For network devices, it is usually enough to separate them by a foot or two. If both devices are wireless access points, they should probably be more than 10-20 feet apart though.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

You're making progress, keep trying different locations, and even disable one pod (near the router). You may have overkill with too much interference.
    Another option be an external usb wireless adapter for the laptop.

Also to add to Philips list- Speakers can be great little tables, but are even better at creating EMI - Large poweful magnets inside.

The Speedguides TCP Optimizer is an easy tool to use and can be downloaded at https://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe

One last thought.
    You could try changing the channel your wifi uses and/or the frequecy from 2.4ghz to 5ghz to avoid interference from the neighbors devices.
    There are programs out there that can map and graph all the devices in your environment. They will show all overlapping channels etc. I just can't think of one offhand.
    Last edited by Norm; 07-07-20 at 07:00 PM.