Thread: Speed being throttled on only 1 PC, Optimizer worked for a minute

Speed being throttled on only 1 PC, Optimizer worked for a minute

So the problem I am having is, when using speedtest.net, I only get 9 mbps download speeds on this PC. I have tried other laptops and phone, tablets and they get over 60. I installed the speedtest.net app onto this PC and it shows speeds over 40 to 50 but the web based version only 9. I ran the TCP Optimizer and after a reboot the web version showed over 40 so I thought that figured it out. After starting up Discord to tell my buddies that had been trying to help me I decided to run it again just to be sure and it was back to 9. I've tried running the optimizer several times since but haven't been able to get it back. The fact that the optimizer did fix it for a short time tells me that's got to be where the problem is. It's strange that it would suddenly go back after a few minutes though. Any ideas?

Blog Entries
    Which browser? Have you tried disabling browser extensions, or using a different one to see if it makes a difference on the speed test?
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Firefox, Chrome and Edge. The later 2 have no extensions as far as I know but get the same results.

Blog Entries
    Hmm, wireless or wired?
    Is it possible that some other clients on your network using the bandwidth?
    What if you start two separate speed tests from different browsers, do they total the slow 9 Mbps, or does each cap around that speed?

If it is just web traffic independent of the browser used, it could also be some type of bandwidth priority/QoS setting in your gateway/router.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Hadn't tried running two at once but yeah, looks like it's balancing out at 9 total. I've run speed tests enough that I am convinced it is specifically restricting me to 9 too for what it's worth.

I am wireless but I did wire it just to check and it didn't help. If another client was using bandwidth wouldn't this affect all devices I try to use? As I said others run just fine.

Blog Entries
    You can try to reset TCP/IP and Winsock (TCP Optimizer File menu), and remove/reinstall network adapter drivers. This will ensure you are working with stock Windows settings, then apply the Optimizer "optimal" valies.

There are some LAN/Wireless tweaks you can read on the main site in the Articles > Registry tweaks section as well, it may be worth going to the network adapter settings and turning off some unnecessary "Coalescing" functions, etc.

If it is affecting all three browsers it must be some type of general setting affecting your web traffic.

Reset TCP/IP and Winsock and reinstalled drivers and still have the problem. Ran the Optimizer and it didn't help. I'll check out those articles.

Blog Entries
    Seems something is throttling your web traffic. If it is on that one PC only, it could also be some type of security software, some software firewalls and third-party antivirus programs may also be interfering with the connection.

I'm using McAfee. I tried turning off the real time scanning and firewall but that didn't help. I also have Malwarebytes and I turned off all of its real time protections and still no good.

Just realized I forgot to mention something, though I don't know how much it matters. I have Nord VPN and when I connect it I can get normal speeds on my browser on speedtest.net however it often fails with an error messages that says: A socket error occurred during the download test. A firewall could be blocking the connection or the server might be having some issues.