Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Masks

  1. #1
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,896

    Masks

    Hey guys, just wondering what you're wearing, if/when.

    The GM at my store was great about ordering stuff in advance, have 3 different designs now but this is by far the best, even if I hate blaze orange.

    Humboldt Co. CA just went mandatory yesterday, we've required them for in-store (pet supplies) customers for 2 weeks.

    Bendy nose wire, adjustable sides, multiple layers, pocket for filters.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200425_220845.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	1376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200425_220839.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	1377

    The spring loaded plastic cord clips are a game changer, got them off an old windbreaker.
    Way more comfortable than the elastic ear loops, especially for 8-9 hours per day, and a f*ck of a lot easier/quicker to adjust than tying knots.

    About 20 on the way for co-workers but about a 1 month delivery window.

    And yes, Mad Doc, I fully realize it looks like something you'd strap on somewhere else.
    Last edited by Humboldt; 04-26-20 at 01:45 AM.

  2. #2
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,961
    I had already ordered a construction mask for doing some heavy duty sanding of the boats bottom paint....so when I'm going into stores, I just wear it. Got it from RZMasks.com
    Looks like this one but bright orange.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rz-mask-m2-5-xl-safety-green.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	1378
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  3. #3
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    10,675
    Blog Entries
    6
    Hemm, nice color Humby, you are right it does look like something Mad Doc would wear, lol.

    I have a paper surgical mask that I do not wear, but then again I work alone. I also have one of those breathable dust masks/neck gaiters for riding my motorcycle I could wear should I feel the urge, but I must admit I am not wearing it. I also have a 3M N95 dust mask or two in the garage I use for sanding. I rarely go into stores, wifey ordered groceries online, got 6 cases of beer and we are stocked to the brim.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

  4. #4
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    10,675
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I had already ordered a construction mask for doing some heavy duty sanding of the boats bottom paint....so when I'm going into stores, I just wear it. Got it from RZMasks.com
    Looks like this one but bright orange.
    Sanding the bottom? What kind of bottom paint are you using? Does the boat stay mostly in the water?
    I am thinking of reapplying bottom paint to my trailer-sailer in the fall, but it has some ablative paint that I do not plan to sand much. It lives on a trailer most of the time, so I hear hard bottom paint would lose its effectiveness (eficacy? efficiency?) when exposed to air for long periods. I was thinking of TotalBoat Spartan (multi-season ablative, lots of copper content, good reviews). Others I have read good things about are Interlux Micron CSC (more expensive), Interlux Bottomkote NT (not multi-season), and Petit Horizons.

  5. #5
    Junior Member MadDoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Looks dark
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    And yes, Mad Doc, I fully realize it looks like something you'd strap on somewhere else.
    Drool......
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

  6. #6
    Junior Member MadDoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Looks dark
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Sanding the bottom? What kind of bottom paint are you using? Does the boat stay mostly in the water?
    Again... Drool......
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

  7. #7
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,896
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I had already ordered a construction mask for doing some heavy duty sanding of the boats bottom paint....so when I'm going into stores, I just wear it. Got it from RZMasks.com
    Looks like this one but bright orange.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rz-mask-m2-5-xl-safety-green.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	1378
    Is that one of the valved ones, or does it take a filter?

    I've heard a few that click when the wearing is exhaling, that'd bug the hell out of me.

    Also seeing a lot of hardware store dusk mask style that have one-way valves, which not only pop out and click with each exhalation but you can see skin through the valve when it does.

    Seems to defeat the purpose in these strange times.

  8. #8
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,896
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    Drool......
    Do you have masks for the sheep?

    Might help them from coughing on your back.

  9. #9
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,961
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Sanding the bottom? What kind of bottom paint are you using? Does the boat stay mostly in the water?
    I am thinking of reapplying bottom paint to my trailer-sailer in the fall, but it has some ablative paint that I do not plan to sand much. It lives on a trailer most of the time, so I hear hard bottom paint would lose its effectiveness (eficacy? efficiency?) when exposed to air for long periods. I was thinking of TotalBoat Spartan (multi-season ablative, lots of copper content, good reviews). Others I have read good things about are Interlux Micron CSC (more expensive), Interlux Bottomkote NT (not multi-season), and Petit Horizons.
    The prior owner did a horrible job of prep work for his bottom paint over the 8 or so years they owned it, looked like they hardly sanded, and he didn't understand how to maintain "barrier paint"...combined with the yearly or every two years..application of ablative.

    If you've seen pics of our boat in prior years when she's up on the stands...the bottom had patches where gelcoat was exposed, and you could see many patch layers of barrier and ablative.
    Barrier coat goes on in several coats...just on the gelcoat. Should last a good 10 years.
    And ablative paint gets put on annually or every two years or so (depending on use)...on top of the barrier. Each season when hauling in the fall, a good power wash off...until you just see the barrier paint (you can tell the difference)..and slap on ablative in the spring again.

    Yes some ablative can lose efficiency if exposed to the air. There are some meant for salt water only, and some for fresh water.

    For "trailered boats"...you're not in the water all the time. Really don't need ablative. Many wouldn't even want barrier. But there are "hard" seasonal paints. Interlux is a good brand, also Petit....you got a few versions of Petit Hyrdo coat, and their "harder" paints ...which you might want to check out, like Trinidad. If you're trailering, you likely don't need (or want) the soft fast release ablatives.

    We keep ours in a fresh water river...the Connecticut River. Many only paint "the smile" of the boat (around the water line, and front lower portion of the bow that shows)....and leave the bottom naked. Fast moving current (6-8 knots)....nothing grows much, just slow tea colored scum line. With a decent paint job can go 2-3 years without repainting. However if I kept it out in Fishers Island Sound...fresh water, would need fast ablative paint every year.

    So to fix the prior owners horrible bottom paint maintenance, the bottom looks like an alligators back (ok..exaggeration..but..)...I wanted to have her sand-wet blasted..all the way down to the gelcoat, and I was going to do 4-6 coats of barrier and then a coast of semi hard Petit ablative. BUT..with the market crash, and real estate slow, we're living off of 1x income (me)..so that wasn't in the cards for this summers budget (a good 2500-3000 just to blast her...plus many gallons of very expensive paint). So I did a sand job and hand brushed barrier on the naked spots and put on a heavy coast of cheap ablative just for this season and we'll target the big overhaul next year.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  10. #10
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    10,675
    Blog Entries
    6
    Sorry for the thread hijack Humby. I don't think I've seen your current boat Brian, I know you had a Baja before. I just checked a couple of partial pics on FB, seems big From what I know, hard paints are the ones that lose effectiveness when exposed to air for long periods, ablative is better because top layer gets renewed, and the ease of reapplying. Mine lives on a trailer usually, but I am about to put her in a marina for a month at least. A friend of mine left his for 3 weeks in the water naked with only gel coat and you couldn't see the bottom from barnacles at the end of the month, looked scary.

  11. #11
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,961
    Yeah, she's our home for about 1/2 of the week all summer...we tend to go to her Thursday, and stay til Sunday....come home Monday, repeat the process.
    33' 1/2" LOA, pair of 350 engines.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Easto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    5,112
    I'm not really sure where to get masks. We've been using particle masks that I had from when I was sanding stuff. We also use bandana's. The only ones I see are the home made ones.

  13. #13
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    10,675
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Yeah, she's our home for about 1/2 of the week all summer...we tend to go to her Thursday, and stay til Sunday....come home Monday, repeat the process.
    33' 1/2" LOA, pair of 350 engines.
    Schweet! Works perfectly for "social distancing" too

  14. #14
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    10,675
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    I'm not really sure where to get masks. We've been using particle masks that I had from when I was sanding stuff. We also use bandana's. The only ones I see are the home made ones.
    My thinking is any bandanna, neck gaiter, or a dust mask will provide some adequate protection from the bigger droplets/particles in the air. The virus itself is small enough to pass through even a N95 mask, however, it is usually carried by much larger droplets.

  15. #15
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,961
    Last weekend when I went food shopping, I didn't feel like wearing my construction mask from RZMasks.com
    So I grabbed one of the tee shirts I keep in the back seat, cut off an arm...and just wore that. Was much more comfy.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  16. #16
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    10,675
    Blog Entries
    6
    Hopefully a clean tee (jk). This just reminded me of one of those SNL skits with "Mary Katherine Gallagher", lol.

  17. #17
    Assistant Admin Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    12,113
    Around the house, I'm using a T-back (dirrrty, of course), not really necessary as we self quarantine, however... I like it!!!!
    I have a female source(s) so I can switch to a 'fresh' one daily!


    When we leave, we wear black nitrile gloves (Venom Steel HD, I believe they are called, very thick, chemical resistant) and (3M) N95 masks. I had bought a bulk pack several years ago. I didn't want to donate them as the elastic bands must be treated carefully to not break due to age...

    I also have a couple of P100's that I make the boys use if they are fogging for mosquitoes and such, reusable as you can replace the filters...
    A worthwhile investment that you may consider, if they become available again. I'm glad that I had what I have...

  18. #18
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Around the house, I'm using a T-back (dirrrty, of course), not really necessary as we self quarantine, however... I like it!!!!
    I have a female source(s) so I can switch to a 'fresh' one daily!


    When we leave, we wear black nitrile gloves (Venom Steel HD, I believe they are called, very thick, chemical resistant) and (3M) N95 masks. I had bought a bulk pack several years ago. I didn't want to donate them as the elastic bands must be treated carefully to not break due to age...

    I also have a couple of P100's that I make the boys use if they are fogging for mosquitoes and such, reusable as you can replace the filters...
    A worthwhile investment that you may consider, if they become available again. I'm glad that I had what I have...
    Hey Ken

    Glad you're well. Stay safe.

    Curious, how do you and Mad Doc...you know, with the masks on?

    Not talking about smooching.

  19. #19
    Junior Member MadDoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Looks dark
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Hey KenCurious, how do you and Mad Doc...you know, with the masks on?
    Skin on skin baby.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

  20. #20
    Peace Debbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    New Rochelle, New York
    Posts
    18,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Hey guys, just wondering what you're wearing, if/when.

    The GM at my store was great about ordering stuff in advance, have 3 different designs now but this is by far the best, even if I hate blaze orange.

    Humboldt Co. CA just went mandatory yesterday, we've required them for in-store (pet supplies) customers for 2 weeks.

    Bendy nose wire, adjustable sides, multiple layers, pocket for filters.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200425_220845.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	1376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200425_220839.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	1377

    The spring loaded plastic cord clips are a game changer, got them off an old windbreaker.
    Way more comfortable than the elastic ear loops, especially for 8-9 hours per day, and a f*ck of a lot easier/quicker to adjust than tying knots.

    About 20 on the way for co-workers but about a 1 month delivery window.

    And yes, Mad Doc, I fully realize it looks like something you'd strap on somewhere else.
    I use N95 masks when I have to go out to the store. If I run out of them, I will just make my own out of bandannas and coffee filters lol.

Similar Threads

  1. Face masks
    By Humboldt in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-20, 02:57 AM
  2. IPs, masks, default gateway and dns servers - oh my
    By kikuilu in forum Networking Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-07, 04:32 PM
  3. Should we ban the production of Bin Laden Halloween masks?
    By messiah in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-28-01, 10:56 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •