Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

It's hard for me to believe, but some people are still unclear as to what the guidelines are regarding Covid-19. I'll make this as simple as possible so as to avoid any confusion:

1. You MUST NOT leave the house for any reason, but if you have a reason, you can leave the house.

2. Masks are useless at protecting you against the virus, but you may have to wear one because it can save lives, but they may not work, but they may be mandatory, but maybe not.

3. Shops are closed, except those shops that are open.

4. You must not go to work but you can get another job and go to work.

5. You should not go to the doctor's or to the hospital unless you have to go there, unless you are too unwell to go there.

6. This virus can kill people, but donít be concerned. It can only kill those people who are vulnerable or those people who are not vulnerable. Itís possible to contain and control it, sometimes, except that sometimes it actually leads to a global pandemic.

7. Gloves won't help, but they can still help so wear them sometimes, or not.

8. STAY HOME, but it's important to go out.

9. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarkets, but there are many things missing. Sometimes you wonít need loo rolls but you should buy several, just in case you need some. And pasta.

10. The virus has no effect on children except those children it affects.

11. Animals are not affected, but there is still a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested, plus a few tigers here and thereÖ

12. Stay 2 meters away from tigers (see point 11).

13. You will have many symptoms if you get the virus, but you can also get symptoms without getting the virus, get the virus without having any symptoms or be contagious without having symptoms, or be non-contagious with symptoms.

14. To help protect yourself you should eat well and exercise, but eat whatever you have in the cupboard as it's better not to go out shopping.

15. It's important to get fresh air but don't go to parks but go for a walk. But donít sit down, except if you are old, but not for too long or if you are pregnant or if youíre not old or pregnant but need to sit down. If you do sit down donít eat your picnic.

16. Donít visit old people but you have to take care of the old people and bring them food and medication.

17. If you are sick, you can go out when you are better but anyone else in your household canít go out when you are better unless they need to go out.

18. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house. These deliveries are safe. But groceries you bring back to your house have to be decontaminated outside for 3 hours, including pizza.

19. You can't see your older mother or grandmother, but they can take a taxi and meet an older taxi driver or care home worker.

20. You are safe if you maintain the safe social distance when out but you canít go out with friends or strangers at the safe social distance. Walking running or cycling requires 2metre social distancing but picnic eating at least 25 meters from others may result in life imprisonment.

21. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours ... or four hours... six hours... I mean days, not hours... But it needs a damp environment. Or a cold environment that is warm and dry... in the air, as long as the air is not near plastic.

22. Schools are closed so you need to home educate your children, unless you can send them to school because youíre not at home. If you are at home you can home educate your children using various portals and virtual class rooms, unless you have poor internet, or more than one child and only one computer, or you are working from home. Baking cakes or ďloose womenĒ on TV can be considered math, science or art. If you are home educating you can include household chores within their education. If you are home educating you can start drinking at 10am.

23. If you are not home educating children you can also start drinking at 10am.

24. The number of corona related deaths will be announced daily but we don't know how many people are infected as they are only testing those who are almost dead to find out if that's what they will die ofÖ the people who die of corona who arenít counted wonít be counted.

25. You should stay ďlocked downĒ until the virus stops infecting people but it will only stop infecting people if we all get infected so itís important we all get infected. But not everyone.

26. You can join your neighbors for a street party and turn your music up for an outside disco and your neighbors wonít call the police. People in another street are allowed to call the police about your music.

27. No business will go under due to Coronavirus but employees may not return to work due to Coronavirus but may be entitled to 80% full pay in June, if their employers' business hasnít closed in May.

I hope this clears up your CovidBlues questions. Stay well, everyone!
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

If only we had some central, federal agency, that could have united the states in a cohesive response. I bet that would have saved some confusion and lives.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

You know, I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done. But for now we'll continue to observe all the guidelines that have been handed down and try to stay safe. I think I have about 3 more weeks of tolerance in me before I start to question my sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    You know, I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done. But for now we'll continue to observe all the guidelines that have been handed down and try to stay safe. I think I have about 3 more weeks of tolerance in me before I start to question my sanity.
    Here in Montana (Gallatin County) we have seen a dramatic decrease in reported cases of COVID 19 after Governor Bullock's Stay at Home directive. Really, I would look at your local news, look at the data for your area, and if for your area things are looking better, stick with what the people are doing locally. On a national scale, it is just drama and political BS, but we still have our state government, which is typically more focused and concerned about the specific needs of the state.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    If only we had some central, federal agency, that could have united the states in a cohesive response. I bet that would have saved some confusion and lives.
    After 35 years with the U.S. government as a backdrop, any effort for a united federal response will die a long slow death in a republican/democrat committee bent on killing the other party (over the course of many years) with nothing to claim but a political victory over the other.

Screw the people.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    (Gallatin County)
    Gallatin County has the best dear/antelope/elk hunting that any county in Montana!

Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    Gallatin County has the best dear/antelope/elk hunting that any county in Montana!
    Sneaking up and tickling them does not count as hunting.

Hi! Glad to hear everyone is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Meggie View Post
    Hi! Glad to hear everyone is doing well.
    Thanks and likewise.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Often see people begging the Feds control this...yet they forget much of the United States was formed on Federalism...the Constitution was framed carefully to maintain a delicate balance between Federal powers and State powers. This country was formed by people fleeing too strong of a government (The King).

Having this managed by each state only makes sense, due to different states having different levels of this outbreak. There are quite a few states with very low cases, that shouldn't be strangled with the same strict rules that other states may need (such as major "hub" states of travel, again..common sense, you could see this spread via states that were central hubs for travel...ex New York City area, Boston, LA, Chicago, Denver, etc). Some areas are very rural, people don't travel or move much. Other areas are.

Some people seem to think we can just all hold our breath and stay home until this is gone. It won't be gone...and it will be a long time until we have a flu shot for it. Some people realize there will be a "heard immunity" sliding in before a flu shot is out....so we just slow it down until it has gone through "most of the herd"....and those that fall ill to it can be cared at a relatively managed pace.

So....where is the balance between that, and...keeping the economy from totally crashing? The economy can only withstand so much of a shutdown. There has to be a balance of..."the biggest threat is behind us (yet realizing there will still be some threat and loss in the future", and ...getting the wheels of the economy moving again.

Living off the government can't go on forever. And with each additional handout, (that we're just paying back in future taxes)...the value of the dollar plummets. Those dollars that we worked/labored hard for....become worth much less as inflation kicks in. We need money to live, we need money to keep a roof over our heads, we need money to feed our family and provide for our family, we need money to help pave our retirement so we're not leaches on the system or living in the streets in our old age, and need money to help care for our family elders in their old age. There's an importance and a value to that!

The first month of this shutdown....yeah, many businesses can tread water and keep their neck at water level...while they drain their savings. But as the second month goes by...you'll see a lot fold up, pack up, throw in the towel, done. We will see a lot of businesses shut down for good, gone....and store/office fronts will remain empty for a long time as small business economy slowly tries to come back after a few years. Not a few months, but a few years.

The longer this goes on, the "cost of living" is going to skyrocket when things do open again and we see what businesses are remaining....return to operations, and they will have to crank up the price of their goods/services so they can recoop their losses. Combined with the devaluation of the dollar due to huge government handouts....o yeah, Q3/Q3 of 2020 and all of 2021 will become quite the sticker shock!

The other extreme view....those that want to maintain shutdown, call those that want to carefully/slowly open things up again...letting states manage it...."Pro Covid" people. Typical of extremist views. I really don't think anyone is actually "PRO" Covid. There can still be ways to be careful and start turning the gears again.

We will have a change in social behavior after this for a while. I bet we see good old fashioned handshakes start to diminish. And events with large crowds...those will remain somewhat empty for a while.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

What makes sense is a White House that works with the states, as a team, instead of against them. That is what makes sense, so preach on about federalism, the Constitution or whatever else you want, but working together as a cohesive team is what makes sense to any rational-minded person.

Blog Entries
    Don't want to get on the political bandwagon, however, seems partisan mud-slinging and law-bending has been going on in full swing for over 10 years, no little virus will prevent this. Blaming the administration will not fix the social distancing issues, it is up to individual and societal awareness, it is more dependent on personal behavior. Countries that have more inherently disciplined populations (most of Asia, Germany) seem to fair better imho. And yes, stronger governments do have some influence as well.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Nobody said "working together" isn't needed. Again...obviously common sense here, such as states surrounding hot spots/travel zones ...yes they need to work together. States should be able to work together with their neighboring states. States know themselves the best. What is good for one state, isn't necessarily good for another state across the country or way up north or way down south.

But again, a blanket rule across all 50 states is a waste of time, money, and effort. And hopefully most states elected a governor that wears adult pants and doesn't need handholding or being coddled and held to the teat and told what to do like they were in kindergarten. Most of the truth of what happened hasn't escaped China yet on how the Wuhan citizens were..."handled". Nor North Korea. Some snippets of that info will be leaked over time and become more widely known...but I for one don't want that kind of government.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Don't want to get on the political bandwagon, however, seems partisan mud-slinging and law-bending has been going on in full swing for over 10 years, no little virus will prevent this. Blaming the administration will not fix the social distancing issues, it is up to individual and societal awareness, it is more dependent on personal behavior. Countries that have more inherently disciplined populations (most of Asia, Germany) seem to fair better imho. And yes, stronger governments do have some influence as well.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting there is no personal responsibility with respect to social distancing and COVID 19. I believe most of us here, are on board with that view. However, I also don't think we should just forget the inadequacies of our federal government during a global pandemic. This should be a wake-up call to voters; that when you vote with partisan views, you get a partisan government.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Nobody said "working together" isn't needed. Again...obviously common sense here, such as states surrounding hot spots/travel zones ...yes they need to work together. States should be able to work together with their neighboring states. States know themselves the best. What is good for one state, isn't necessarily good for another state across the country or way up north or way down south.

But again, a blanket rule across all 50 states is a waste of time, money, and effort. And hopefully most states elected a governor Most of the truth of what happened hasn't escaped China yet on how the Wuhan citizens were..."handled". Nor North Korea. Some snippets of that info will be leaked over time and become more widely known...but I for one don't want that kind of government.
    I don't recall anyone here suggesting a "blanket rule" of any kind. What I would like is a president "that wears adult pants and doesn't need handholding or being coddled and held to the teat and told what to do like [he was] in kindergarten."
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 04-20-20 at 09:13 AM.

I'm just hoping that this isn't/wasn't a 'test' to see how quick a virus (biological weapon) could spread throughout the world...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I'm just hoping that this isn't/wasn't a 'test' to see how quick a virus (biological weapon) could spread throughout the world...
    There is no science to support such a conclusion and instead, the scientific evidence supports the conclusion that it is a naturally occurring virus.

this study leaves little room to refute a natural origin for COVID-19. And thatís a good thing because it helps us keep focused on what really matters: observing good hygiene, practicing social distancing, and supporting the efforts of all the dedicated health-care professionals and researchers who are working so hard to address this major public health challenge.
    https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2020/0...n-of-covid-19/

During times like these, I think it is important to keep the wild human imagination in check and back up our beliefs with solid scientific evidence.

I know there's a lot of "doom and gloom" going around, and at times it's difficult to keep one's spirits up... things will eventually get better. I do not see a future where sporting events are viewed on TV only. I do not see a future where indoor dining is eliminated. I think most changes are going to be in our behaviors while out in public. It will start out that no one shakes hands, tables are placed further apart in restaurants. But eventually we'll be back doing and acting as we always have until the next one comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    Sneaking up and tickling them does not count as hunting.
    *checks rule book* It's not pacifically clear on that but I'll take your word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    No no no. It's people from space. Sure they could blast the earth into a hunk of dust in a second (think death star) but what's the fun in that? Playing the "what will happen to that ball of dirt if we dump a virus on it" game.

Our betting lines are open. No waiting.
    Last edited by MadDoctor; 04-24-20 at 11:56 AM.