Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

I am still working remotely. No word on a "return to the office" date. I am not in a hurry since my office is in lower Manhattan.

I had surgery 2 weeks ago. I am glad that is over with.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Blog Entries
    Deb, hope you're recovering well from your surgery. At least you didn't fall of the wagon, er, bike like Easto ( jk ).

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by koldchillah View Post
    Lost my job due to COVID this week. 5 yrs, 4 months,
    Dang Matt...sorry to hear that!
    What's your skillset? Got advanced 365 skills? They're in very high demand and companies are still reorganizing to "work from home". And/or anticipating the worse 2nd round of 'vid this winter.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Dang Matt...sorry to hear that!
    What's your skillset? Got advanced 365 skills? They're in very high demand and companies are still reorganizing to "work from home". And/or anticipating the worse 2nd round of 'vid this winter.
    Started a new job yesterday. I'm back in IT Consulting joining forces with an old colleague who has built his IT company for the past 15 yrs and now I'm the 7th full-time employee to join the team. While my skillset now leans more towards project implementation in healthcare IT, this allows me to get back to my roots of working on servers & networks and helping them grow the business in other areas too. My main focus however will be bringing their IT company into the medical space where they currently have zero footprint. Currently the company does about 60% of its business via low voltage wiring contracts on large commercial buildings and second to wiring is security cameras and access control systems. The IT MSP side accounts for only about 10% of their business, so that is where I come in. They also are into telecom, so I'll be getting to learn a lot of new stuff and wiping off the dust from skills I haven't used in a long time. It's great to be back at work and excited about what I do again. I just have to hustle so I can build up enough clients to raise my salary back to where it should be, but I'm up for the challenge and its a lot easier to join an established firm than to build one from the ground up like I did 14 yrs ago.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you have it figured out.. It is a bit different field if you're also doing telecom/wiring, but if you are fusing your area of expertise and not afraid of the challenges you will do great over time I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by koldchillah View Post
    Started a new job yesterday. I'm back in IT Consulting joining forces with an old colleague who has built his IT company for the past 15 yrs and now I'm the 7th full-time employee to join the team. While my skillset now leans more towards project implementation in healthcare IT, this allows me to get back to my roots of working on servers & networks and helping them grow the business in other areas too. My main focus however will be bringing their IT company into the medical space where they currently have zero footprint. Currently the company does about 60% of its business via low voltage wiring contracts on large commercial buildings and second to wiring is security cameras and access control systems. The IT MSP side accounts for only about 10% of their business, so that is where I come in. They also are into telecom, so I'll be getting to learn a lot of new stuff and wiping off the dust from skills I haven't used in a long time. It's great to be back at work and excited about what I do again. I just have to hustle so I can build up enough clients to raise my salary back to where it should be, but I'm up for the challenge and its a lot easier to join an established firm than to build one from the ground up like I did 14 yrs ago.
    Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Best of luck!
    Thanks guys! So far so good!
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Well, I heard that we should not expect to be back in the office until after December. No date set.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Well, I heard that we should not expect to be back in the office until after December. No date set.
    This is dragging on way too long.

My 2 cents

While covid is a real virus and a real threat, it has been hyped into something that it is not.
    The media reported stats and numbers are skewed and false.

The CDC just released their latest fatality report. For weeks 2/1/20 through 8/22/20 in the US, The CDC reports "For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death."

This is 6% of deaths, not 6% of the population. This means that the number of people dead from covid alone in the US is only 10,980.
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ekly/index.htm

Covid is not actually a threat to people in decent health.

Thus lockdowns are a poor solution. Masks don't really protect anyone nor prevent spread. The solution that should be being promoted is "get healthy and stay healthy".

We'll never see main stream media prompte health because they make their dollars from companies that produce unhealthy products and big pharma (largest $ advertiser).
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Blog Entries
    There has been a trend in the US towards healthier choices lately, even though individuality is one of its' founding principles as well. "Get healthy and stay healthy" is a great long-term goal, but not really a solution to the current situation.

While I agree that the media is hyping it and spinning too much, and caters to their advertisers, the threat shouldn't be taken lightly or ignored imho. There are some cases where young healthy people have long lasting effects/complications due to COVID-19. Masks help reduce the spread of the disease, even if the virus is not a threat to you, a mask can prevent you from spreading it to others. While masks are not 100% effective, there are many studies showing they significantly reduce the spread of viruses, they are recommended by both the CDC and WHO regardless of what the media and politicians spin. Yes, the virus molecules are smaller, but most droplets get stopped by masks.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Yes, the virus molecules are smaller, but most droplets get stopped by masks.
    Ever see someone vaping using a mask? Water vapot goes right through and also out the sides.
    Masks do reduce the spread slightly.
    Those in poorer health are more at risk, esp heart disease, asthma and diabetes folk, and I do wear a mask when entering stores, etc., solely for their benefit.
    The 5-10% protection may just be enough to prevent the other guy from becoming more unhealthy.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Those in poorer health are more at risk, esp heart disease, asthma and diabetes
    And the CDC states that 30 million people have full blown diabetes in the us. I would say that's a considerable amount of our population that need to be protected.

Blog Entries
    Aerosols/vapor can pass through masks, but not larger droplets, so you're significantly reducing spread, masks reduce virus spread much more than 5-10%.
    https://files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf

It is a cheap courteous way to reduce the risk, I also wear one in enclosed spaces with other people nearby. It is still funny to see people driving around alone in their cars wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    It is still funny to see people driving around alone in their cars wearing them.
    Yeah, I haven't figured out that one either.

My take, ...people demanded that other people not be allowed to smoke indoors, second hand smoke is a killer! Something which could take years to show any effect on others...
    Those same people don't want to be forced to wear a mask, something that could actually kill someone in 2 weeks...
    Intelligence is limited, stupidity has no limits...

An N95 can filter down to .3 microns. Covid is .1 microns. WTF??? Well, that would mean something if the virus was a loner. Fortunately, they stick together and stick to other things like moisture droplets...
    It is like 3 NFL offensive lineman trying to go through a door at the same time...

MIT has proven that a sneeze can travel 27' and that a person talking loud can spew the virus and it linger in the air indoors for 14 hours...

So, an N95 can keep you from spreading covid, UNLESS it has the valve in it... (The 95 means something, as does the N, look it up...)

Homemade masks can have SOME benefits depending upon the material, I believe a minimum of 2 layers of cotton is best...

Bottom line, yes, basically any mask can HELP you from SPREADING covid as it can catch the MOISTURE that the virus clings to when you exhale, cough, sneeze or merely talk, efficiency depending of course on the material that the mask is made from and IF it is WORN Properly...

Yes, some people are at a greater risk, and they know it.
    How many people have you known that had a hidden or unknown health problem, such as a heart defect, and died from it? Throughout my years, I have known about 5 or so, would have to really think it. Not something that I want to remember... I wouldn't want to think that I could have contributed to killing someone... Let your conscience be your guide and remember Typhoid Mary!

Stay safe!!!!!

I haven't searched, however I heard on the "news" that the head of the CDC rescinded a page about deaths and causes due to much misinterpretation by people...

Blog Entries
    I am not surprised... People die from complications from other conditions/diseases and combinations of factors, seems kind of subjective to determine when the cause of death is definitely Covid-19, or certainly related to it. I imagine different states and institutions report data differently as well, but overall it is a very large number of people.

Yes, I agree, the reporting has been all over the place... We did not know and had no protocols for something like this... They need to be established into a standard...

Some major points of covid:

It is not comparable to the flu in basically any meaningful ways. We have studied the flu for years and cannot eradicate it due to it evolving, recessing, going dormant, being asymptomatic in people until the conditions revive it. That is why the flu can break out simultaneously all over the place. It is never truly gone, just waiting...

COVID came out of nowhere (meaning new) and was in 182 countries in 2 months... Big difference!

COVID kills people with certain existing conditions, be it health, age, known or unknown. Asymptomatic carriers (such as my reference to Typhoid Mary) can spread it like wildfire without the carrier even knowing...

I have read peer reviewed articles from scientists and epidemiologists that actually know and do the research, know as much as currently possible anyway. The TV is an 'entertainment medium' that is going to say what you want to hear so that you will keep watching, it is all about the ratings, not the truth...

As I posted about MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, they are very accredited with their research) have done other types of tests, such as how it can be distributed. Pay attention to research facilities such as that...

Masks can save lives as unless they are properly worn, N95 or better, which can protect the user, surgical and homemade masks are able to slow the spread...
    As I posted earlier, the virus is clingy...

It appears that COVID is now evolving as at least a second strain has been confirmed... This could become a problem for asymptomatic carriers...

I don't know about you guys, however I will wear a mask as I don't want to have even a possibility of spreading it and certainly not killing someone with it that had no clue they had a hidden condition that made them unknowing vulnerable.

As far as cause of death...
    A short, however true story as my mom told me and the death certificate proved.
    I never knew my father as my mother had a restraining order against him due to him being a violent alcoholic. I only saw him at his funeral shortly after Christmas, 1970.
    He was in Tampa General Hospital, due to advanced cirrhosis of the liver, he was dying, not expected to ever leave the hospital alive. The actual cause of death? He choked to death in bed on his on him own vomit, he couldn't even sit up in the bed...
    So what did he die from?

1 more, sworn to truth: A young girl that was a neighbor that I knew her whole life. A good girl, honor student, no drugs, ran every day, ate healthy. Graduates and goes to the University of Miami, where she continued to run every morning for almost 2 years. They found her in her bed one morning when she didn't go to class, she always went... Still in her running clothes and shoes, they found her deceased in her bed... Autopsy results; no drugs or alcohol, body in excellent condition from eating right and exercise, however she had an unknown heart defect...

Why these stories? You never know how things will end. From the death certificate was father was in his last days/hours due to cirrhosis, which is listed 2nd, choking is listed 1st. Choking due to the effects of cirrhosis...

Poor Jaime, she was just average looking, slim build, but had a heart of gold. She was taken at ~20 years old, about 20 years ago... RIP baby!

I'm tired of typing, maybe more later...

Bottom line, why would anyone want to take a chance at spreading this? Wear a freaking mask! The life that you save could be a friend or family member!

Let your conscience be your guide...

Sadly, the numbers are increasing but at least we are better prepared now to take care of the sick people. Covid-19 is really an extraordinary situation no one could ever have imagined. I hope that the vaccine will be developed soon. Then we will hopefully be able to control the virus. Stay safe!