Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

I am fairly sure it is crab people, they want to weaken us before they storm the surface world.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    Well, it looks like today 4/11/2020 will be the day that the US reaches 20k virus deaths.
    4/24/2020 - 52,000+ Deaths. More than doubled in 13 days.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Got our EIDL deposit last week, that'll keep us open for a couple of hours.
    Received our PPP deposit 2 days ago. We has just hired a 6th employee in Feb, but the PPP needed to be an average of last years W2...1x month worth, when we were 5 employees and before a big pay raise we all did first of this year.
    But...some money is better than nothing. So about 65-70% of 2 months worth of payroll is covered.

As for my wife, she's a sole prop Realtor, hasn't heard back or gotten a thing yet. Ugh. The spring season she's normally very busy, in these 3 or so months she'll make what I make in a year and that's a big part of our budget for the year.
    At least we can almost tread water on my salary.

This stuff had better start lifting soon, it's putting a major hurt on people.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Its gonna be bad either way, though if the treatment Fauci mentioned turns out good enough that could be a big boost.

Tests per capita arent in a good spot for us for reopening.

I personally feel that one of the saddest and most tragic aspects of all of this, beyond the deaths, is the impact this is taking on small businesses across the country. When you own a small to medium sized business your margins are usually paper thin, and even in the best of times maintaining a going concern can be a precarious endeavor. I am getting tired of the "We're all in this together" cliche. If viewed from only the financial standpoint we're not all in this together. There are people who are going to lose everything. As I ride my bike or drive my car down familiar streets I see shops that show the signs of being closed for good. Not for 2 months. That really scares me.

My wife received an email today and was informed that her status has been changed from "Furloughed" to "Terminated". This eventuality was somewhat expected, but the attached letter was addressed to "Dear Sir or Madam". That was about a rude as I could possibly think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Got our EIDL deposit last week, that'll keep us open for a couple of hours.
    Received our PPP deposit 2 days ago. We has just hired a 6th employee in Feb, but the PPP needed to be an average of last years W2...1x month worth, when we were 5 employees and before a big pay raise we all did first of this year.
    But...some money is better than nothing. So about 65-70% of 2 months worth of payroll is covered.

As for my wife, she's a sole prop Realtor, hasn't heard back or gotten a thing yet. Ugh. The spring season she's normally very busy, in these 3 or so months she'll make what I make in a year and that's a big part of our budget for the year.
    At least we can almost tread water on my salary.

Haven't received a cent yet... My bank's (BofA) initial online-only application process required that one has not only business bank accounts, but also an existing "business loan relationship" with them, which I didn't so I couldn't apply the first week or so. I applied after they lifted that ridiculous restriction (it has nothing to do with the SBA requirements) , but then while applying and submitting 941s, etc. the initial money ran out, while my application was sitting with the bank. They held my completed application for two weeks and I got in on the second round a couple of days ago. Anyway, I will survive.

I agree that many small companies that had to close may not be able to recover from this. It is sad that hotels and bigger businesses with up to 500 employees got the big chunk of the money earmarked for "small businesses". Not to mention, small businesses account for 50% of all employers in the country, while they only got ~1/6th of the 2 trillion stimulus package that will be a burden on all taxpayers for years.

I will stop ranting now. Of course the human toll is more important than the economic aspect of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    the human toll is more important than the economic aspect of it.
    Yep.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

People can survive poverty and many will have to lower their standard of living, but rushing ahead will not only cause more unnecessary deaths, it could also have a greater negative economic impact in the long run.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Haven't received a cent yet... My bank's (BofA) initial online-only application process required that one has not only business bank accounts, but also an existing "business loan relationship" with them, which I didn't so I couldn't apply the first week or so. I applied after they lifted that ridiculous restriction (it has nothing to do with the SBA requirements) , but then while applying and submitting 941s, etc. the initial money ran out, while my application was sitting with the bank. They held my completed application for two weeks and I got in on the second round a couple of days ago. Anyway, I will survive.
    Good luck getting something on the second go-a-round!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I have no thoughts. I've seen people struggle to breathe. Some were colleagues. Take all the precautions you can. You don't want this unless your one of the lucky ones that are asymptomatic. As someone said this is just surreal.

Finally starting to run out of work to do. Pay cut just came down today, but I should feel lucky my workload is down 80% and I'm probably only working about 10hrs a week right now but my pay cut is just 20%. With no more work on the horizon, Im not sure how long they will keep us on the payroll. In today's conference call they seemed to believe these pay cuts will allow the company to survive the rest of the year but not much beyond that unless medical businesses start buying EHR & PACS software again. We get the bulk of sales through large medical conferences and conventions which are non-existent right now. Interesting times ahead for sure. Hope everyone else is hanging in there and staying safe! Tonight calls for whiskey on the rocks! cheers to better times ahead!
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

covid made me go through a lot of.....unpleasant things.
    first, we started working remotely.And then, the company started a terrible downsizing - just because they had to save some money
    so I was fired
    and job-hunting during this kind of isolation is not the most pleasant journey I should say

How is everyone doing?

Wow, this has sure been one heck of an experience.

It's been one heck of an emotional roller coaster for me. Fortunately Mrs. Easto and I, and all of our immediate family have been able to stay healthy. I've been able to maintain my sanity by going on 3-4 hour bike rides with some of my close friends. Those rides have been a blessing. Unfortunately, Mrs. Easto is as very social creature. Not being able to see her son, daughter and grandchildren is really taking it's toll on her. I do my best to keep her distracted as much as possible.

My heart goes out to everyone, especially the small business owners who might never recover. If this would have happened years ago when I was self-employed I don't know what I would have done. I've been self-employed, I know what a struggle it is virtually all the time. As I go on my bike rides we ride by so many stores that have definitely closed for good. I feel so bad for everyone that has had to go through this.

As of today it appears that the social distancing restrictions are starting to peel away. I can't keep people from going out and socializing, I just hope everyone is not to quick to forget and that they carry forward some of the lessons we've learned and how to be a bit more sanitary that usual.

These events are terrible, but how many conspiracy theories have appeared now, it's just wow
    people really have nothing to do

Best wishes to everyone.

Lost my job due to COVID this week. 5 yrs, 4 months, and 37 medical practices taken live on new software systems, migrations, and interfaces all over the US. Had a good run at it. Onto the next chapter! I haven't been this unemployed since I was 13 yrs old and mowing 4 neighborhood lawns on Sundays. Guess it's time to dust off and update the 2002 resume. lol
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Sorry to hear about the job loss. My wife was laid off 3 months ago. Hang in there.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear that Matt, I guess at least you can get some unemployment out of it. Not the greatest time for hiring, but remote IT jobs should still be in demand imho.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

... remote IT jobs should still be in demand imho.
    I keep telling my wife that once she's able to join the work force again it's going to be some sort of essential job. Trash truck drivers are still working. Although I'm retired, I would have been effected by the layoffs almost right away with my previous occupation, and with little hope of jumping back into it.