Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Covid-19

I am still working remotely. No word on a "return to the office" date. I am not in a hurry since my office is in lower Manhattan.

I had surgery 2 weeks ago. I am glad that is over with.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Blog Entries
    Deb, hope you're recovering well from your surgery. At least you didn't fall of the wagon, er, bike like Easto ( jk ).

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by koldchillah View Post
    Lost my job due to COVID this week. 5 yrs, 4 months,
    Dang Matt...sorry to hear that!
    What's your skillset? Got advanced 365 skills? They're in very high demand and companies are still reorganizing to "work from home". And/or anticipating the worse 2nd round of 'vid this winter.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Dang Matt...sorry to hear that!
    What's your skillset? Got advanced 365 skills? They're in very high demand and companies are still reorganizing to "work from home". And/or anticipating the worse 2nd round of 'vid this winter.
    Started a new job yesterday. I'm back in IT Consulting joining forces with an old colleague who has built his IT company for the past 15 yrs and now I'm the 7th full-time employee to join the team. While my skillset now leans more towards project implementation in healthcare IT, this allows me to get back to my roots of working on servers & networks and helping them grow the business in other areas too. My main focus however will be bringing their IT company into the medical space where they currently have zero footprint. Currently the company does about 60% of its business via low voltage wiring contracts on large commercial buildings and second to wiring is security cameras and access control systems. The IT MSP side accounts for only about 10% of their business, so that is where I come in. They also are into telecom, so I'll be getting to learn a lot of new stuff and wiping off the dust from skills I haven't used in a long time. It's great to be back at work and excited about what I do again. I just have to hustle so I can build up enough clients to raise my salary back to where it should be, but I'm up for the challenge and its a lot easier to join an established firm than to build one from the ground up like I did 14 yrs ago.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you have it figured out.. It is a bit different field if you're also doing telecom/wiring, but if you are fusing your area of expertise and not afraid of the challenges you will do great over time I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by koldchillah View Post
    Started a new job yesterday. I'm back in IT Consulting joining forces with an old colleague who has built his IT company for the past 15 yrs and now I'm the 7th full-time employee to join the team. While my skillset now leans more towards project implementation in healthcare IT, this allows me to get back to my roots of working on servers & networks and helping them grow the business in other areas too. My main focus however will be bringing their IT company into the medical space where they currently have zero footprint. Currently the company does about 60% of its business via low voltage wiring contracts on large commercial buildings and second to wiring is security cameras and access control systems. The IT MSP side accounts for only about 10% of their business, so that is where I come in. They also are into telecom, so I'll be getting to learn a lot of new stuff and wiping off the dust from skills I haven't used in a long time. It's great to be back at work and excited about what I do again. I just have to hustle so I can build up enough clients to raise my salary back to where it should be, but I'm up for the challenge and its a lot easier to join an established firm than to build one from the ground up like I did 14 yrs ago.
    Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Best of luck!
    Thanks guys! So far so good!
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru