Thread: Sales of Cell Phones

Sales of Cell Phones

We received a text from my wife's daughter that she can't find her cell phone (sent from kids phone). This got me thinking. How much profit does a company like Sprint or T-Mobile make selling replacement phones? I mean, basically an unnecessary sale that was due to a customer's bad luck? I know my wife has lost 2 phones since I've known her

Blog Entries
    Probably a good deal of money... They do offer some types of warranties, but I never buy them. Most phones are becoming consumables, something that'd be obsolete in a couple of years and after so many battery charges. My younger daughter drops hers and cracks the screen on an annual basis it seems, heh.

Same thing with the Post Office. Years ago I heard a statistic that stated what percentage of their revenue was from people putting too much postage on a letter or package. On top of that... they make you pay for the stamps before you even use them. I wish I had a company where people paid me up front and then paid more for my product than the actual asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    On top of that... they make you pay for the stamps before you even use them. I wish I had a company where people paid me up front and then paid more for my product than the actual asking price.
    Hookers. Just saying.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    Hookers. Just saying.
    I'll call ya about oh one thirty! Be ready for the egg beater!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    How much profit does a company like Sprint or T-Mobile make selling replacement phones? I mean, basically an unnecessary sale that was due to a customer's bad luck?
    How is it an unnecessary sale if the customer needs to buy another phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    How is it an unnecessary sale if the customer needs to buy another phone?
    Maybe "unnecessary" was the wrong word. "Additional" sales may have been more correct. For example, if my wife would have been more careful and not set her phone down and walked away without picking it back up we would have never had to buy another phone. That there is 1 more sale they made when in fact it never should have taken place. This has happened to her twice.

Whenever we're walking around, eating at a restaurant or something like that I'm always telling her to put her phone away so that she knows where it is. Whenever you have it in your hand there is always the tendency to lay it down while you examine this or that. Or, leaving it on a restaurant table. Now I'm pretty sure the restaurant would do the right thing and attempt to have it returned... I'm just trying to point out that due to a lack of awareness people are throwing hundreds, if not thousands of dollars away every month.

How much of our economy is dependent on mistakes like these? People ignoring the flashing oil light on their car. What should have been a $49 oil change is now a $2400 engine. Trying to get an extra year or two out of the paint on your house and then the elements destroy the wooden fascia thus requiring even more repairs. I know I'm not perfect. I'm sure there are a few "hints" that I've missed and things have cost me more than they should have. But I do think that I am able to determine when something is going bad... and fix it. Problems don't get better. You need to fix them. If not done in a timely manner you're just adding insult to injury and making unnecessary payments to have something taken care of that should never have happened.