Thread: Kitchen Cook=top... Induction v Standard,

Kitchen Cook=top... Induction v Standard,

Anyone have any opinions or comments regarding Cook-tops? We're redoing the kitchen and I'm starting to purchase the appliances but I'm still not sure an Induction cook-top is worth the extra $700 - $900? I really like the idea of instant on and off and just the newer technology to boot. I'm wondering if it will save on the electric bill? I'm going to do a little more searching around the web. I just wanted to see who might have a comment.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    We just bought a house as part of our downsizing up north here...to prep for purchasing a stepping stone house in FL.

Went to one of our clients that's an appliance store..to get a new fridge and washer/dryer for the new house. New house was renovated, had a new "base" model oven/range..the typical Frigidaire black glass top. So I looked at new oven/ranges..because I want a convection oven (this base model the house came with didn't have that)...and the sales guy showed me an induction top. Yup...I'm sold! Boils water so damn fast! Won't get it yet..putting money into my truck and the boat...but within a year I probably will. It is a BIG difference in speed.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Although I've only seen actual use in a video... I'm really impressed. We already have induction ready cookware and the price isn't necessarily a factor in the decision as real life operation and durability. The KitchenAid model we're looking at also has a "Bridging" feature. You can place a griddle on top of 2 of the elements and use the extended function. I was also concerned reading that some people said they give off a buzzing sound, but the guy at the store said that is usually due to the electrical service not feeding it enough amps.

Blog Entries
    I may be old fashioned but I don't like the idea of using special cookware. Other than that you are right, they are considerably faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    I may be old fashioned but I don't like the idea of using special cookware. Other than that you are right, they are considerably faster.
    The special cookware really isn't that big of a thing. It just has to be magnetic. If you search for "induction ready" cookware you'll find that you can get almost anything you need. We already bought the cookware, which also works on our current traditional electric cooktop. All of our appliances are original to the house (1966) and we were down to only a couple, yes 2, pots and pans. Basically, it was time for a new kitchen whether we wanted it or not.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you needed the appliance update

I suppose the cookware is not a huge deal, but I do have some stainless pots/pans I am used to. We also seem to have collected many pots we never use at all :/

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Sounds like you needed the appliance update

We also seem to have collected many pots we never use at all :/
    Same here. I can't tell you how many times I've asked the wife "why don't we just get rid of these? We never use them". I could cut our cabinet usage down by 50% if I could just get the green light from her.

Blog Entries
    I know, it's that wifey hoarding factor I suppose

I would suggest you go for induction. It's expensive and all but it doesn't consume that much electricity and it won't affect your electricity bill. I mean not in a drastic way that you have to worry about. But it will definitely make your life easier.

Robert,

Thanks for the encouragement. I wasn't too worried about the electrical drain, but it was one aspect that I hadn't really looked into yet.

I have induction and it beats all the rest.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.