Thread: 110mbps upload w/ 1gbps internet

110mbps upload w/ 1gbps internet

Today Fidelity installed their 1gbps Internet at my new house and I am trying to figure out why my Internet speed is so slow. It's all over WiFi but I'm right next to my router/modem combo. It's a Hitron brand they've loaned me. Anyway, on Google speed test results I'm only getting about 110mbps download speed. In my router settings it says the data rate to this device is actually about 450mbps. Which should I believe? This is a lot slower than it should be. Please help me optimize my new setup thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Once you get over 100 Mbps it really depends on your equipment. To get faster speeds you need Gigabit Ethernet, or decent 802.11ac Wi-Fi devices. That includes the modem/router/gateway, it's LAN ports speed, it's Wi-Fi capabilities, and your client device network/Wi-Fi adapter capabilities. Also, keep in mind most residential ISPs quote speeds of "up to" so many Megabits (not Megabytes, that's ~1/10th of the Megabit speed).

Another thing to consider is you'd get different speed to different servers. Your ISP is usually the fastest, and the further you get from them the slower it gets, as it depends on their backbones' congestion at the moment, their peering arrangements with other companies, the end server's ability to serve you certain speed at this particular time, etc.

Considering all that, you may still be able to improve the line using the TCP Optimizer, just apply the "optimal" settings.

If you are unhappy with the speeds you are getting, and they are constantly slower than 50% of what your ISP advertises, you may want to contact them and complain about it as well.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Once you get over 100 Mbps it really depends on your equipment. To get faster speeds you need Gigabit Ethernet, or decent 802.11ac Wi-Fi devices. That includes the modem/router/gateway, it's LAN ports speed, it's Wi-Fi capabilities, and your client device network/Wi-Fi adapter capabilities. Also, keep in mind most residential ISPs quote speeds of "up to" so many Megabits (not Megabytes, that's ~1/10th of the Megabit speed).

Another thing to consider is you'd get different speed to different servers. Your ISP is usually the fastest, and the further you get from them the slower it gets, as it depends on their backbones' congestion at the moment, their peering arrangements with other companies, the end server's ability to serve you certain speed at this particular time, etc.

Considering all that, you may still be able to improve the line using the TCP Optimizer, just apply the "optimal" settings.

If you are unhappy with the speeds you are getting, and they are constantly slower than 50% of what your ISP advertises, you may want to contact them and complain about it as well.
    Thanks a lot. I'm going to look for guides covering the very things You mentioned. I appreciate Your time. It was very helpful friend.