Thread: All Microsoft/Windows devices slow over WiFi

All Microsoft/Windows devices slow over WiFi

Hi All,

I have a Windows 10 Pro Desktop and Laptop as well as an XBOX 360 S. They all appear to suffer the same issue with normal as expected upload over WiFi, but incredibly throttled and intermittent downloads. The internet and file downloads are unuseable in this state. All other devices linux or apple work fine and acheive my ISP's down and up limits.

I have changed Modems, Routers, Firewalls (On/Off), and used the TCP/IP Optimizer. I have checked with my ISP and they have no clue, and simply said it is a Microsoft issue (they are probably correct)

The weirdest observation is that the optimizer works, and after a restart the WiFi connection is exactly the same as the ethernet. Then following some time, or multiple restarts the throttling returns. The optimizer then has no effect. I have observed this on both the desktop and laptop. I even reinstalled windows on the laptop and obeserved this behaviour again, the optimizer works precisely once and that is it for a limited amount of time.

All devices work fine over ethernet.
    When using the Desktop PC with my work VPN, I can request internet traffic through the work server and this is slow due to the distance and rerouting, but does not throttle.

I have a second modem/router that uses a sim card from a different ISP and all microsoft devices work as normal on that network. The internet through this is just slower than my NBN connection, and the router not as fit for purpose for my home/work network.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, particularly if anyone knows any shortcomings of the optimizer that explain the behavious of it working for a short period of time.

Blog Entries
    The Optimizer changes Windows registry and netsh settings that should survive reboots, they can only be overwritten by some Windows updates typically.

If this is just happening over Wi-Fi, I'd look into possible interference, change Wi-Fi channels and advanced Wi-Fi settings in the router, like channel width, legacy support, etc. as described here: https://www.speedguide.net/articles/...ed-tweaks-5681

Also, are you running some type of security software that monitors/inspects packets?

Hi Philip,

My work PC has some antivirus and monitoring software. But my laptop does not and there is no way the xbox 360 does.

I have already played around with channel width, channel number. I have not heard of legacy support?

I don't quite know what else to do regarding router settings. As I have mentioned all apple and linux devices are fine over wifi, and the windows devices are fine over ethernet.

If I could demonstrate this one time effectiveness of the TCP/IP Optimiser would that provide any meaningful information?

Blog Entries
    I doubt it. However, if you want to verify that Optimizer settings are not being changed, you can always look at/copy/screenshot the "Apply" dialog of the program, the one that shows what changes are being made. You can then compare if there are any changes between the time when your Wi-Fi is working ok, and when is not to see if there is any difference.

I would still go through each possible router Wi-Fi setting if it is affecting all your Windows clients. Is it dependent on distance from the router?