Thread: Security Cameras

Question Security Cameras

I just wanted to get some feedback from any of you who might either have security cameras setup around your homes or at least know a little bit more about them than I do, which is about nothing.

I know there are 1080p cameras out there and I do believe that having the highest resolution possible is a good start, from all my photographic experience I know that adequate lighting and focus plays a big part. I do not see any reason to go "cheap" and end up with video of people and things I can't tell who or what I'm looking at. But, I just don't know about wireless or how to power them properly. I could pull wire through my attic, I just think I might need someone to come in to actually hardwire the power. I've considered having a company come in and do it but I think I'd just be paying a 100% premium and getting only "average" quality cameras and equipment.

I'm looking at about 6 external camera with 1 in the garage. I'd also like some kind or recording capability and viewing over my phone would be even nicer. I understand these kind of systems are out there, I was just wondering what kind of experience any of you might have had and what would be a good general direction to start looking. I've looked into the "Ring" doorbells, but the price really seems to go up once you want to do any extended recording and I would just rather add a HDD to my computer and do the recording there.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    First thing I encourage, choose a system that has a secure cloud proxy for viewing if you have a local NVR. Meaning...you don't want to bother with port forwarding on your firewall to view the videos from your cell phone or remote computer. Most camera systems are heavily targeted and hacked. A couple of years ago that nation wide DNS outage was caused by a lot of breached DVR/NVR systems running DDoS attacks. I see lots of clients camera systems hacked and messed with. Most new camera systems do not need any port forwarding on the firewall, nor even static IP address or cheesy dynamic DNS services to view from the outside world, you just log into your account at their website and you can drill into your cameras from there. Creates a secure tunnel to your NVR.

We work with quite a few IP camera systems at work....for smaller offices and light outdoor use I use Ubiquitis Unifi cameras. For medium to heavier duty use our wiring/phone guy installs higher end brands..but for homes usually these systems aren't practical since they require ethernet run to all camera locations. Cameras now are POE...and you use a POE switch to power them. If you're willing to run the lines, plenty of brands to choose from there just stay away from the cheap boxed systems at chain stores. Reo Link, Lorex, Axis...some common brands that are decent. We work with Honeywell systems a bit more but they're pricey for residential. Hikvision and Dahua are 2x big brands that actually make much of the cameras that get resold under other labels.

In our prior place my wife got a Netgear Arlo system...we had a miserable experience with it, cameras frequently fell offline and they chewed up special expensive batteries like crazy.

We just got a new house and I'm currently putting a Ring system in. Got a few of the spotlight cams, plus a Doorbell. Ultimately will rerun the old doorbell low voltage wire over to it, but for now have it on the solar charger add-on.
    The spotlight cams work well. You can connect all your devices at one location to a $10.00 per month account (for all devices) for 60 days of storage.

If you're on a super low budget, there is a relatively new company (started by a couple of Amazon guys) that make a product called Wyze. A year or so ago I was paying attention to them but never purchased any to evaluate. Not a "fancy" system, and last I knew it didn't all tie together in a single dashboard, meaning each camera sorta had to be accessed separately. Not sure if it streamlined much yet.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for the info. If I do decide to take this step it will definitely not be with a "store bought" boxed set. I managed a 12-16 camera Lorex unit at the last place I worked and I was not impressed. That is why I was looking for suggestions regarding individual items. I don't need more than 1-2 weeks of storage and would like to keep it as closed as I can. I'm also not too interested in paying monthly fees. I like the idea of a wired system and I would have no problem getting up in the attic and routing the wire myself.

I bought a Wisenet (Samsung) 8ch, Ultra HD system and hard wired 5 cameras. Had to do the attic thing, but I wanted it hard wired. If I had to do it again, I would have gone 4k, but my cameras are decent. The DVR works fine and gives me about 8 days. I have an alarm system through work, but their hardware is way overpriced so did my own. Between the alarm, cameras and a male Rotty, we feel pretty safe.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

We have nothing but praises for https://www.cctvcameraworld.com/smar...ware-tutorial/

Lets us tie a DVR and 2 NVR together and view them all on one screen, including playback, maybe 24 at a time (not at work).

Retail store, instead of having 3 different network IPs to go to, we can just pull this up and have all cameras showing at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    We have nothing but praises for https://www.cctvcameraworld.com/smar...ware-tutorial/

Lets us tie a DVR and 2 NVR together and view them all on one screen, including playback, maybe 24 at a time (not at work).

Retail store, instead of having 3 different network IPs to go to, we can just pull this up and have all cameras showing at the same time.
    Works great and it's free.

I upgraded my Lorex system 2 years ago to LaView, https://www.laviewsecurity.com

Went with an 8 Channel 6MP NVR Security System with 8x 1080P Dome IP Cameras (POE). Added a POE switch in the attic where all 8 Cat6 camera runs are located, then I only had one run to the lower level to the main NVR\switch\router. You can purchase from the LaView website but I found package bundles discounted via Home Depot online...of all places! https://www.homedepot.com/s/laview?NCNI-5

I'll eventually upgrade to higher resolution but for now I'm satisfied and I didn't have to break the bank! It's been an absolutely flawless system for the past two years.

If have the money I's go with a system from Dahua. They took over Flir systems cameras.
    https://us.dahuasecurity.com/product...s/ptz_network/

Definitely get PoE, PTZ and minimumly 2 megapixel 1080p. If have the bandwidth get 4k cameras. Also, it want sound, many ip cams have loud cooling system motors that make a "hum" in the stream and recordings. Dahua motors are quiet.

We replaced one of our Flir cams with the same model made by Dahua at our Osprey cam system at Patuxent River Park.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH