Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Getting a USFF PC

I'm Getting a USFF PC

I bought a refurbished Dell 790 USFF (I think it stands for ultra small form factor). I think it's only about 12 inches tall. I'm getting tired of the big, heavy, bulky towers. Will a small PC like this last as long as the towers?

It's got an i5 processor. Is that good?

I'm going to retire my Windows 7 PC in my other Dell tower.
    I took the SSD out of it and may run it in my i5, which is going to have a 250 GB HD in it.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yup we did a lot of those...and have since moved to even smaller ones, called "Tiny PC". For those cases where clients prefer to use their own monitors, else....we have started doing lots of "all in one" models again such as Dells Optiplex 5000 AIOs and Lenovo ThinkCentre M series AIOs.

With the SSDs inside..no problem We stopped doing spindle drives for our clients years ago.

The 3x digit Dell models are getting old by now, we toss those away, keeping only the 4x digit Optiplex models now (like Optiplex 7010).
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    I believe the I5 in those is one of the earlier generations, i5-2400s @ 2.5 GHz (circa 2011-2012). The CPU "passmark" score for it is 4,988 --> https://www.cpubenchmark.net/mid_range_cpus.html

There are newer i5s that would have higher "passmark" scores (6-8k range), but what you got is still a good machine. The only downside of those is they are a bit cramped, therefore harder to do any upgrades, they may have proprietary PSU, cooling, etc.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post

The 3x digit Dell models are getting old by now, we toss those away, keeping only the 4x digit Optiplex models now (like Optiplex 7010).
    One of the Dell towers that same seller has that's big like my current Win 10 PC is 15" or 16" tall is a 4 digit one, a 9020 or 3010 = big, heavy PCs I'm wanting to get away from.
    I figured the smaller USFF Dell 790 was newer.

I paid $89 for it and it has a WiFi card and 4 GB RAM.
    It also has 10/100/1000.
    It's an upgrade over what I have and for the type of computing I do, I'll probably like it.
    The only upgrade I'll want to do to it is install my 250 GB SSD, unless it runs better than I expect as it is.
    Last edited by Lurch; 11-04-19 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Yup we did a lot of those...and have since moved to even smaller ones, called "Tiny PC". For those cases where clients prefer to use their own monitors, else....we have started doing lots of "all in one" models again such as Dells Optiplex 5000 AIOs and Lenovo ThinkCentre M series AIOs.

With the SSDs inside..no problem We stopped doing spindle drives for our clients years ago.

Would you sell me a PC and ship it to me? If so, for how much? I live in East TN.
    I might be able to cancel my other one.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    I believe the I5 in those is one of the earlier generations, i5-2400s @ 2.5 GHz (circa 2011-2012). The CPU "passmark" score for it is 4,988 --> https://www.cpubenchmark.net/mid_range_cpus.html

There are newer i5s that would have higher "passmark" scores (6-8k range), but what you got is still a good machine. The only downside of those is they are a bit cramped, therefore harder to do any upgrades, they may have proprietary PSU, cooling, etc.
    The i5-3470 is much better?

PS : You can lay any tower on it's side and run it that way, is that right?

I may get a Dell 7010 SFF with i5-3470, 3.2 Ghz, 8 GB RAM and 250 GB HD.
    It's about $139 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    PS : You can lay any tower on it's side and run it that way, is that right?

I may get a Dell 7010 SFF with i5-3470, 3.2 Ghz, 8 GB RAM and 250 GB HD.
    It's about $139 shipped.

Yes you can lay them on their side, upside down, whatever. Esp with SSDs.

The later one there is much better, you want 8 gigs of RAM for Win10, not 4
    Guinness for Strength!!!

OK thanks. Although this Dell 960 tower with Win 10 runs pretty good with 4 GB RAM and SSD 250.

By much better, do you mean faster?

Thanks for the advice.

I was able to cancel the other PC and get a restored Dell 7010 SFF w/ i5-3470, 8 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro, and a 1 year warranty.
    For just $40 more I got a machine that, as you said, is a better PC.
    Amazon seemed to have better deals than eBay, plus I get 5% cash back on things I buy on Amazon with my Amazon credit card.

Blog Entries
    Good move.. The i5-3470 has a 6724 passmark score, much better for the price, and those 8GB will make it all run smoother.
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

By much better, do you mean faster?
    I suppose much of it is based on user experience, either with slower computers, or faster computers. And of course with RAM, those that don't use much for heavier programs won't notice the benefit as much as those who run heavy accounting software and tons of MS Office apps with lots of data in them as well as several separate browser sessions each with a dozen tabs open.

I run 16 gigs on my system, and right now I'm using 11 gigs..and I don't even have much open, not even Quickbooks yet.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Even web pages seem to be much heavier these days, transferring a lot of the processing power to clients via javascript, embedded videos, font libraries, etc.
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Interesting. I'm looking forward to running it. This should be quite an improvement over what I have and even more so when/if I put the SSD into it.
    I will then put my Windows 10 tower Dell as a standby.
    When I upgrade again in a few years I'll definitely ask you guys for approval first.
    Thanks again.

Off topic...
    When are you going to post some more pictures?
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Off topic...
    When are you going to post some more pictures?
    Ken
    Why, do you remember when I posted pics here?
    I'm a camera buff and own dozens of digital cameras.
    I have thousands of pics I've taken but most of them are of my cats, my cars, and my meals.
    Since getting on OMAD / IF (one meal a day / Intermittent Fasting) many of us got in the habit of taking a pic of our meals and posting it on IF forums.
    I used to drive around a lot, looking for things to take pics of but I haven't done that in years.

This is one of my 3 house cats "Eva".

Name:  DSC_0747a.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  60.8 KB

Update : I got my refurb Dell 7010 today and updated Win10. It seems to run real nice with the i5-3470 processor and onboard 250 GB HD + 8 GB RAM.

I have a feeling it's the i5 + the 8 GB RAM that is why it ruins so nicely.
    Offhand I don't see a need to install the SSD at all. I'm pleased with it's performance as is.
    It's not sluggish at all. You were probably right that Win10 needs 8GB RAM.

Good call on that and thanks again for the good advice.
    Happy computing.
    I'm getting used to Win10 and my settings.
    It hibernates if idle for 15 minutes, and I need to change that.
    8 GB of RAM rocks. This is the most RAM I've ever had and I like it.
    My other Win 10 PC has 4 GB RAM and it runs good because of the SSD but I don't feel that I need the SSD on this Dell 7010.
    Last edited by Lurch; 11-08-19 at 08:54 PM.

Hey Lurch, good to see you.

Beautiful cat, and a great shot.

SSD is the cheapest and most effective performance booster ever in my opinion.

If your new rig is running smoothly now it will purr if you utilize the SSD.

Update : I got my refurb Dell 7010 today and updated Win10. It seems to run real nice with the i5-3470 processor and onboard 250 GB HD + 8 GB RAM.

I have a feeling it's the i5 + the 8 GB RAM that is why it ruins so nicely.
    Offhand I don't see a need to install the SSD at all. I'm pleased with it's performance as is.

My other Win 10 PC has 4 GB RAM and it runs good because of the SSD but I don't feel that I need the SSD on this Dell 7010.
    If you sat down at it with an SSD...you'd never go back. Booting up in 12 seconds and programs launching quickly is nice. When Windows 10 does updates, they're large....and having an update take 15 minutes worth an hour or two (or more for large feature updates)...might change your mind.

Spindle hard drives degrade in performance over time, SSDs pretty much don't...they stay consistently fast, and will out last a spindle. SSDs have a rough life expectancy of at least 10 years. Spindles...it varies, but they tend to get painfully slow after 5 just because they slow down over time. Just a note...backup your computer. Especially easy these days with OneDrive or DropBox. Because when an SSD fails..it's gone. When a spindle fails..it's often easy to slave it and browse and copy files from it.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

OK, that sounds like good advice to me.

Maybe I'll run this for a while and switch to the SSD later.
    Last edited by Lurch; 11-11-19 at 10:41 PM.