Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New generation losing interest in computers?

IMHO the Raspberry Pi has gone a long way towards getting kids back into computers and programming. And the new Pi 4B is actually usable as a desktop PC.
    It's also getting some us that are not so young into programming and tinkering.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/

There is also the BBC Micro-Bit if your into micro controllers.

https://microbit.org/
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Blog Entries
    I don't know, otoh there will always be demand for people with certain skills, knowledge and understanding, as they are the ones creating value in general. We lost some knowledge with generational changes, globalization, and offsourcing, but wahen there is demand certain people will have enough drive to rise to the challenge. I also think we, as a nation should value knowledge/science/higher education more, it shouldn't be dragged down to a political rhetoric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    IMHO the Raspberry Pi has gone a long way towards getting kids back into computers and programming. And the new Pi 4B is actually usable as a desktop PC.
    It's also getting some us that are not so young into programming and tinkering.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/

There is also the BBC Micro-Bit if your into micro controllers.

https://microbit.org/
    Whoa, 8GB of RAM and quad-core 1.5GHz CPU, this can do a lot.. I may pick one up to play with when I find the time..

Bringing me to another chaotic thought on the subject..
    [ Rant ]
    Kids seem to be busy all the time and still not getting great education :/ They are getting tested and herded more than taught basic understanding and learning to think it seems. Schools are geared towards meeting board/state requirements and cramming/repeating huge volumes of material every year, but just flying through it on the surface, without students having the change to slow down and get a complete understanding of basic principles. Seems last century/millennia we were taught the same subjects with textbooks quarter of the size of current ones, yet containing the same information, heh. [ /Rant ]

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    [ Rant ]
    Kids seem to be busy all the time and still not getting great education :/ They are getting tested and herded more than taught basic understanding and learning to think it seems. Schools are geared towards meeting board/state requirements and cramming/repeating huge volumes of material every year, but just flying through it on the surface, without students having the change to slow down and get a complete understanding of basic principles. Seems last century/millennia we were taught the same subjects with textbooks quarter of the size of current ones, yet containing the same information, heh. [ /Rant ]
    I couldn't agree more. 3 of my grandchildren are 22, 18 & 16, I will occasionally ask them what I consider simple recent history or what I would consider general knowledge questions and they don't have a clue. Sometimes I'm just stunned. I mean, things like "Tell me something about the Viet Nam war?". Including things like "at what temperature does water boil?".

And... they're all getting fat at the same time. A guy I hang out with is a recently retired High School biology teacher. He said that PE was no longer required for the 11th & 12th graders.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    [ Rant ]
    There's a lot of unneeded context being thrown into education nowadays. Heck, there's even academic arguments on if teachers should be teaching that 2+2=4! Which just blows my mind - everyone wants to overcomplicate things and forgets that people, especially children, need a high level understanding first before you get into anything complex.

2+2 does not always equal four; only in two for the four major measurements scales is that true. I mean if you really want to teach a "high level understanding first" then perhaps you should start with type of measurement scales before moving on to 2+2 = 4. Kids could prob. understand the nominal, ordinal and interval scales as they are really basic and then move on to addition.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

I think you could teach math in an entirely different fashion. I mean the traditional approach to math in many ways teaches it backwards, by teaching the students how to do it and not the whys behind it. However, you could start off with things like measurement scales and logical statements then build your way up from there, and that would prob. develop a much deeper understanding of math than just 2+2=4.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

The new generation usually uses social media, they don't need a laptop, they only need a phone. In the future, they will need a laptop to study I think so.

Blog Entries
    In order to consume media, a standard computer is a waste.
    However, there are plenty of gamers that WANT the added hp of a standard desktop. If you have any doubts, go and order a Nvidia 3090 board. Anyone here who has played on a 144 or 240Hz monitor understands the need for the high end cards.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche