Thread: Wow.... talk about me being out of touch.... HardOCP no longer

Blog Entries

Wow.... talk about me being out of touch.... HardOCP no longer

Wow...

I had been off forums for a while, but was looking into starting a new build. Evidently Kyle has moved to greener pastures at Intel. The Hardforum is still open.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Interesting, I didn't know either. His new position, "Director of Enthusiast Engagement" at Intel has to be a two-way voice for both Intel and the enthusiast community at the same time.. organizing community events and such. I don't know why he can't simply delegate most HardOCP functions to the other editors and enthusiasts to run the reviews themselves, but at least the forums are going to remain up and running.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Where does this leave Brent? Didn't he write for them?

Blog Entries
    Seems Brent, together with a few other editors from HardOCP started publishing reviews at a brand new site, "The FPS Review" .. thefpsreview.com
    His last post at HardOCP: https://hardforum.com/threads/goodby...ost-1044130268
    He posts on Twitter @Brent_Justice
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Man, I hadn't logged into those forums in many many years.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    HardOCP was my go to site for system setups. Then again, I had been out of the hobby for some time..

I concur with you, Philip. It would seem logical to hand off the day to day to the supporting contributors.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yeah when I was building custom gaming PCs (way back years ago) it was one of the resources I used.
    It did have a "network" section which I started hanging out at, but...had a few enterprise guys hanging out there that looked down their nose at you if you didn't work with $10,000 plus Cisco iron....couldn't talk much SMB network equipment there.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

All that happened over a month ago. I have used that site in the past, but recently I asked a couple of questions and the responses seemed to be a little weak. I didn't get the response I was expecting. I feel as if some of the intensity is gone.

I'm still here! The transition from DSL was awful! Big salute to you guys, STILL here since '9X! Man, what I wouldn't give......

Pretty much teh review side of things is at https://www.thefpsreview.com/ I like Hard's style of reviews so glad they kept together.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Pretty much teh review side of things is at https://www.thefpsreview.com/ I like Hard's style of reviews so glad they kept together.
    Thanks for that link. New to me.

On top of HardOCP I've found that "How to GeeK' has lost some of it's luster and not as interesting as it use to be. TechSpot, which I think was a recommendation from YeOlde has reasonably good articles but like HTG, they seem to be turning into sites that want to cater to everyone and have lost a little bit of their niche.