Thread: Facebook breach exposed phone numbers

Post Facebook breach exposed phone numbers

What I can't figure out is why people would put their real phone number in while registering anywhere. I mean, I always use the same number, it's a number that is not in use and that we cancelled about 5 years ago. I always remember it so it's a good one to use as a place holder for phone numbers. I never put age, and if required I have a date that has nothing to do with my birthday that I will put in. Why are people putting in actual real information?

I do not have a FB account but I use this formula for just about everything.

Blog Entries
    I used to do that long time ago, however, I understand people entering their real info so that they can be actually found by their friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    What I can't figure out is why people would put their real phone number in while registering anywhere. I mean, I always use the same number, it's a number that is not in use and that we cancelled about 5 years ago. I always remember it so it's a good one to use as a place holder for phone numbers. I never put age, and if required I have a date that has nothing to do with my birthday that I will put in. Why are people putting in actual real information?

I do not have a FB account but I use this formula for just about everything.
    my number is on there for 2fa back before they had it built into the app its self. even then I need it when installing the app. I'm also a fringe case, I really don't care what people know or find about me. I have nothing to hide. I understand others having an issue with it, I could see potential issues for harassment; not invalidating the concern.