Thread: Most-used apps?

Most-used apps?

Android.

Bikeometer: works great for tracking bike rides and hikes. Small, keeps track of mileage and speed, duration. Overlays your ride to google maps, so you can review exactly where you went. Unlike some apps that are 10x the size, you don't need to create an account or login with facebook or anything stupid like that.

Magnifier: uses your camera to zoom in really well, you can use the flash and take photos. I use it all the time looking at coins when I can't read a date or mint mark. Much easier to use than just the camera by itself.

Soundmeter: gives you a visual reference to how loud whatever's going on around you is. You get either a bar graph of dial needle, and it gives you benchmarks of common references such as normal conversation, street traffic, heavy machinery, etc. I like having this when I'm listening to live music. Lets me know when to leave, and actually got one band banned from returning (no need to play horn instruments into amplification when in a small indoor brewery. People left in doves).

Blog Entries
    Here are a few I use regularly:

MailDroid - good IMAP/POP3 email client that lets you set rules and operate multiple accounts
    Wifi Analyzer - helps survey Wireless network strength, channels etc.
    Kayak - good search engine for hotels, flights, etc.
    Weather Underground - good weather app

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Microsoft Teams....the O365 collaboration tool that combines Skype (for chat and conference, desktop sharing), file storage (on top of Sharepoint), and access to other apps you can "plug into it".

Microsoft Authenticator...since we're an MSP, we secure our portals, I have a lot of portal to log into which we have multi factor on.

Microsoft Outlook mail app

Goodbudget...a "budget" app that uses the envelope system

WifiMan...a Ubiquiti site survey/wireless monitoring app.... I used to use WiFiAnalyzer before UBNT released this one
    UNMS...for Ubiquiti air* products
    Unifi...for Ubiquiti Unifi products

Marine Ways, and Navionics....2x marine navigation apps (basic chart plotters)
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Did you hear Garmin bought Navionics (and Active Captain too) ? For marine apps, I use:
    iSailor - good vector charts
    ActiveCaptain - uses the same charts as Garmin chartplotters, even the same login as Garmin Express, but adds the community comments and even depth soundings from other boaters, quite good.
    Tide Times - tides/currents at nearby buoys, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Microsoft Teams....the O365 collaboration tool that combines Skype (for chat and conference, desktop sharing), file storage (on top of Sharepoint), and access to other apps you can "plug into it".

Microsoft Authenticator...since we're an MSP, we secure our portals, I have a lot of portal to log into which we have multi factor on.

Microsoft Outlook mail app

Goodbudget...a "budget" app that uses the envelope system

WifiMan...a Ubiquiti site survey/wireless monitoring app.... I used to use WiFiAnalyzer before UBNT released this one
    UNMS...for Ubiquiti air* products
    Unifi...for Ubiquiti Unifi products

I understood some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Did you hear Garmin bought Navionics (and Active Captain too) ? For marine apps, I use:
    iSailor - good vector charts
    ActiveCaptain - uses the same charts as Garmin chartplotters, even the same login as Garmin Express, but adds the community comments and even depth soundings from other boaters, quite good.
    I'll tell my kayaking buddy bout the Tide Times, he's got it nailed down pretty well though.

Garmin's getting big. Still happy with their dog training collars after they bought Tri-Tronics about 5 years ago.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    I hadn't tried Active Captain....I'll give that a shot. I had put the 2 on my phone a bit ago when my boats Garmin 740 had issues and was in for repair. It's back on the boat now.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

past 7 days according to iOS Screen Time

Blog Entries
    Life360.... I have teenagers

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

I use Garmin Connect with my Garmin 520 bicycle computer. It uploads all my ride metrics to their site as soon as a ride is completed. It also gives me the opportunity to send a link to anyone on my contacts list so that they can follow my ride in real time. My wife really appreciates that.

Musicolet for playing mp3

Zynga Poker

Capital One has a great app also

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    I understood some of that.
    ...and I understood none of that.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Mapmyride, FB messenger and Youtube are my most-used apps.

Quote Originally Posted by browen View Post
    Mapmyride, FB messenger and Youtube are my most-used apps.
    Hi browen,

How is using FB Messenger different from texting the person, short of using yet another third party?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Hi browen,

How is using FB Messenger different from texting the person, short of using yet another third party?

Thanks
    I donít know how popular this service is now, but I definitely need to talk about it. Pocket is an application for reading various materials from the Internet. A reasonable question arises - why read articles from the Internet not in the browser? The answer is simple - with Pocket it is much more convenient to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeFrst View Post
    I don’t know how popular this service is now, but I definitely need to talk about it. Pocket is an application for reading various materials from the Internet. A reasonable question arises - why read articles from the Internet not in the browser? The answer is simple - with Pocket it is much more convenient to do this.
    Maybe if I was younger and had friends that just couldn't live without the latest app I might succumb to using this or that. But in my glorious old age I will either Text, Email or call you. There are way too many developers trying to grab your attention with a new app that basically does one of the 3 above. Yes, if you have multiple accounts you may find it necessary or convenient to use some kind of aggregator, but in my opinion I find most of these just fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeFrst View Post
    I don’t know how popular this service is now, but I definitely need to talk about it. Pocket is an application for reading various materials from the Internet. A reasonable question arises - why read articles from the Internet not in the browser? The answer is simple - with Pocket it is much more convenient to do this.
    I read articles as I come across them or have the time to within a day or so. No need to cache them unless I'm on a flight or somewhere without service, when I'm going to sit down and read. Will your app pay me to recommend them?