Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Can anyone here recommend a 10" skillet w/ lid?

  1. #1
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,823

    Can anyone here recommend a 10" skillet w/ lid?

    My old one with steel lid finally popped the handle weld, so the handle is all wonky.
    And I don't weld.

    Just steel/steel and copper.

    No non-stick.

    Any suggestions?

    I see super cheap to super expensive online, but most don't come with lids.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    10,372
    Blog Entries
    6
    I'd just shop around in local stores like TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls, or whatever equivalent you have there, they sometimes have great deals.

    The cheap ones will be thinner/lighter most likely.

  3. #3
    SG Enthusiast Easto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    4,974
    I think you just have to roll the dice. I've had some really inexpensive ones last for years and I've had some pricey stuff that died way too early. Although price isn't usually a guarantee of quality, it's a good place to start. All-Clad has a good reputation. We're actually looking to buy one of their sets in the near future.

  4. #4
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,898
    Finex is a brand made in the USA (Oregon) many of their skillets come with covers.
    I know I've seen some Lodge models also...I love coming across older Lodge models (the newer ones aren't as good)
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    My old one with steel lid finally popped the handle weld, so the handle is all wonky.
    And I don't weld.

    Just steel/steel and copper.

    No non-stick.

    Any suggestions?

    I see super cheap to super expensive online, but most don't come with lids.

    Thanks
    Cast iron will last you a life time. I threw out my old skillets and got me one.

    https://www.target.com/p/lodge-cast-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

    How to season and care for cast iron:

    https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/f...-iron-skillet/

    If kept seasoned, you will not have any problems with food sticking to it.

    I purchased a Victoria brand which is pre-seasoned. (no chemicals)

    I have this one. It did not come with a lid. I am checking with the company. I did save the same size lid from my old steel pan, so I use that if needed.
    https://www.target.com/p/victoria-ca...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by Debbie; 09-08-19 at 05:16 PM.

  6. #6
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    10,372
    Blog Entries
    6
    I prefer stainless or even ceramic non-stick to cast iron for indoor cooking, much lighter to handle, wash, etc. BBQ Grill grates and griddles are another story, cast iron seems to hold up best for me. Just my preference I suppose.

  7. #7
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,898
    And get one of 'em "chain mail sponge" cleaners for the cast iron pan...
    Tis all I use after cooking, with hot water..never with soap. I just heat the pan up a little bit to try it after.
    A nicely seasoned cast iron pan works great!

    Name:  ringer.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  47.9 KB
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  8. #8
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,823
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    And get one of 'em "chain mail sponge" cleaners for the cast iron pan...

    Name:  ringer.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  47.9 KB
    Is that just code for Ken's thong?

  9. #9
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Cast iron will last you a life time. I threw out my old skillets and got me one.

    https://www.target.com/p/lodge-cast-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

    How to season and care for cast iron:

    https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/f...-iron-skillet/

    If kept seasoned, you will not have any problems with food sticking to it.

    I purchased a Victoria brand which is pre-seasoned. (no chemicals)

    I have this one. It did not come with a lid. I am checking with the company. I did save the same size lid from my old steel pan, so I use that if needed.
    https://www.target.com/p/victoria-ca...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Hey Debbie

    Hope you're well.

    Thanks for the links.

  10. #10
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,823
    Favorite cast iron video:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbY3dw9uMIc&t=1569s

    Go to 12:40, 18:00 if you're impatient.

  11. #11
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    10,372
    Blog Entries
    6
    Lol, coffee and snake

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    And get one of 'em "chain mail sponge" cleaners for the cast iron pan...
    Tis all I use after cooking, with hot water..never with soap. I just heat the pan up a little bit to try it after.
    A nicely seasoned cast iron pan works great!

    Name:  ringer.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  47.9 KB
    I use coarse salt.

  13. #13
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    I use coarse salt.
    Of Course!

    Hey Debs..good to see ya!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  14. #14
    Assistant Admin Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    12,063
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5tq...ature=youtu.be

    I think that you had better watch this if you are thinking cast iron...SCat and Debs, this means you 2 specifically...

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5tq...ature=youtu.be

    I think that you had better watch this if you are thinking cast iron...SCat and Debs, this means you 2 specifically...


    I would never do that. Besides, I don't own a dishwasher. I hate them. LOL

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-19-06, 01:10 PM
  2. Downloading "Free" Stuff what do you recommend???
    By chimdogger in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-02, 09:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •