Thread: Vpn?

Question Vpn?

I'm considering subscribing to a VPN service for my home network. I'm willing to pay, but I'd like something trusted and user friendly.

I've been looking at SurfShark and Hotspot shield. Any comments?
    Last edited by Easto; 07-31-19 at 09:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    In a VPN provider, I'd look for easy integration on Windows/Android, and even routers. I'd also look at a large enough provider that offers unlimited bandwidth and good speeds.
    I am not sure about SurfShark and Hotpsont shield because I haven't used them, however, I can share what I do.

I like (and use) IPVanish VPN, they run specials so pricing is decent. More recently, one of the biggest domain registrars on the Internet, "NameCheap" started offering the same service as IPVanish, using the same backhaul provider at great prices for annual/3-year plans, comes down to a couple of bucks per month. I am just not sure about their software, haven't used it. Just search for Namecheap VPN.

The speeds, and the number of servers/countries for both of those are great, no noticeable speed drops, etc.
    Software for IPVanish is seamless, they have apps for Android even, they support most common VPN protocols, including IKEv2/IPSec, OpenVPN, etc.

Here is a list of the different protocols, and what you should be using: https://www.speedguide.net/articles/...ol-to-use-5524
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Thanks for the advice. Although I feel I'm a little more security minded than the average user, I know I'm way behind the curve on taking this step towards increasing my privacy online. I'm sure the Web already has more than enough info on me and if I was to really see everything I would be shocked. My concern is that what I do online should be private unless I relinquish that right. I'm not doing anything nefarious, illegal or embarrassing, I would just like to keep that info private.

The final straw has been the level of targeted ads that I'm now seeing. For instance, I go to a rather well known musical instrument site. I am viewing one of my dream guitars. I will probably never buy one ($11k) andI was only at that site to do a little dreaming. Now, I'm bombarded with ads from that site specifically touting that guitar. I looked at it the other day and that was it. I don't need to see it on virtually every site I visit.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I know what you mean, heh. There are some other options you have, like incognito browser windows, ad blockers/privacy extensions (uBlock origin and the like for Chrome).
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑