Thread: Finding old friends online

Finding old friends online

Lately I've had some free time on my hands and during many of those times it crosses my mind to lookup old friends. My problem is that I haven't been too lucky. I know some of the people my age are probably not that active online, so doing these regular type of searches i.e. FB etc. really come up with nothing. I don't want to use a pay service so I thought I'd ask here if anyone had any suggestions where to look or how to search?

I've tried all the different spellings of their names and cities they've lived in but I just keep coming up with nothing.

Blog Entries
    A search for their names, approximate age and location should yeild results, anythnig too specific may not.

Google.news has had quite a few articles on high school friends of mine.

I have been able to find a couple of people but it took all night. I was just thinking there's got to be a better way (inconspicuously) to search for people. I was trying to find out some info on a guy I use to be in business with. He was still local to the area but I have to tell you it took about 2 days before I was able to get even a bite. I finally found the info, but what a pain in the ass that was. I'm finding that you need to search through a lot of mundane news and websites, find a similar or same name and then search from there. I guess I'll just keep hammering away at it.

Blog Entries
    You can look at pproperty appraiser and search by name, if you have the name and age a lot of sites have at least some info available from public records, like addresses, relatives, party affiliation, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    I have been able to find a couple of people but it took all night. I was just thinking there's got to be a better way (inconspicuously) to search for people. I was trying to find out some info on a guy I use to be in business with. He was still local to the area but I have to tell you it took about 2 days before I was able to get even a bite. I finally found the info, but what a pain in the ass that was. I'm finding that you need to search through a lot of mundane news and websites, find a similar or same name and then search from there. I guess I'll just keep hammering away at it.
    Yep.

Voter registration will give you address and such, if they are registered to vote.

I'm starting to think that this one old friend may just be dead. Back in the day he was a heavy smoker and drinker and although it's been almost 40 years I don't think he was the kind of guy to give either up. With that said, is there any way to check death records without being state specific?

Ken, thanks for the tip. I'll try that angle.

Once you start searching it's amazing how many people there are with the same name even after you've assigned specific criteria to your search. I've sort of got the bug about finding this guy so I'm devoting about 1 hour a day looking around. Dead or alive, I'm going to find him.

Well, I logged onto my wife's FB page and searched there. It just so happens that my High School class has a FB page and one of the lists they maintain is of all the class members who have passed. I found him on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    Well, I logged onto my wife's FB page and searched there. It just so happens that my High School class has a FB page and one of the lists they maintain is of all the class members who have passed. I found him on that list.
    Fine.
    You found me.
    You used your wife's FB credentials??????
    Your sister loved me more that she loved chocolate ice cream.
    She loved that crap a lot
    That said... You found "someone" on a *cough* a list?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Screen shot id required.

*more to follow*
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

All this time you were right under my nose, Damn.