Thread: Best Settings for low Latency(FPS Games)

Best Settings for low Latency(FPS Games)

Hello

I have the problem, that i get bad hit registration on cs go.
    I have all Settings set up, as the gaming tweak says.
    The only settings i am not sure is, if i should enable ecn capability and which buffer sice should i put in the nic.

Shoul i enable Priority and Vlan in the NIC Settings because on my asus router i have an custom script that usese qos with fq_codel and also limit bandaith on 95% for perfect bufferbloat.

Do you know any other "gaming" tweaks for low latency and good hit registration?
    I sometimes stream and for me it feels that it is getting much worse with it.

My Setup:

I7 6700k
    16gb 3000 mhz ddr4 corsair
    Gtx980 asus strix
    asus pro gaming z170

Router AC-RT5300
    And moden, the default gigabyte modem from my
    Internet provider(singel user modus)

Blog Entries
    I would only enable ECN if your router/modem support it, and in the presence of packet loss. I am pretty sure Asus routers support it, not sure about your modem. Chances are you wont see much difference.
    Other than that our gaming recommendations are listed here: https://www.speedguide.net/articles/gaming-tweaks-5812

It may also be good idea to study where the latency starts to occur, on which hop between you and the game servers (you can use a traceroute for that). I would also look into reducing any possible bad effects of interference in your location, as in keep the modem, router and Ethernet cables away from possible sources of EMI (including keeping the router and modem at least a foot apart, they're often not shielded well).

It is quite normal to have considerable increase in latency when you are close to your line's bandwidth limit, you may want to reduce the streaming quality/bandwidth to combat that.

I hope this helps.

And which values would you put in, in the nic settings on the buffer?

Blog Entries
    Receive/Send buffers? Those should be between 256 and 512 imho, depending on the amount of RAM you want to spare for the NIC connections.

In the gaming tweaks, they say you can increase this to the maximum? I have 16 gb ram, so enough for cs go 😅 does more buffer increase performance, also for streaming? 😅

Blog Entries
    Send/receive buffers will not help your gaming performance. For streaming, you can bump them up a bit, but I wouldn't go further than doubling them.

Why wouldn you go for 2048 on both, i feel its better with the highest number 😅

Blog Entries
    Because it is unnecessary to buffer too much potentially old/stale data. Those buffers fill up only when a lot of data is transferred, i.e. p2p, 3D video streaming, etc. Gaming, otoh is designed to work with lower bandwidth connections, it should not consume that many buffers. Transmit buffers are usually double the receive buffers size.

Just my opinion, feel free to use the value you like

And should i ebable dca? Do you knoe if the z170 pro gaming mp support this feature, didnt found anything about it

Blog Entries
    You can enable DCA, however the chipset, NIC and processor must all support it for it to work.

How do i know it if all hw support it?

fq_codel?

The AQM that drops occasionally from the middle of the queue? I wouldn't recommend it. It causes weird quirks, keeps your ping low but guarantees some loss anyway, unfortunately.

If you're using pfSense, set up ALTQ, HFSC. It's what I use at least. You specify a different traffic class for different types of network traffic. Such as ICMP in my case, and no matter the network load, ICMP is never dropped as a result(latency remains stable too, obviously, 1-2ms). (You rate limit at your outbound and your inbound interfaces from the firewall/router to 95-97'ish % of your advertised and achieved throughput rates)

I'm doing some further testing with my own near perfect setup tonight and if it works alright, I might post what I did here.

EDIT: The fact that you stream with your setup is probably what's making everything worse for you, especially if it is hitting the bandwitdh cap on TX, from the router. Which begs the important question of how much network bandwidth do you actually have?

Blog Entries
    Some good points there Huzzaa, thanks for sharing and welcome to SG.