Thread: VPN: Imac vs PC

VPN: Imac vs PC

Hi Philip:

This case has baffled me for more than 12 months. I have an Imac with the latest OS and a PC with Windows 10 Pro. My ISP offers the ff Fibr Speed:
    5, 15, 25 and 50 Mbps. I have subscribed to the latter, 50Mbps.

When I'm connected to VPN using my Imac, I get speeds up to my subscription, 50Mbps. However, when using my PC my speed sometimes goes to the other fiber plan. I get 5, 15 or 25 Mbps from time to time. What I do right now is to disconnect then connect to other VPN servers until such time I get the right speed.

This problem doesn't happen to my Imac. I really need to pick your brain on this. It's driving me crazy. I followed the tips and tweaks that you have offered

Mark

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Apple devices have a VPN client that I believe always defaults to its traffic going out the local gateway...so when you connect your VPN traffic will still go out your local connection until you slide that "force all traffic through remote connection" switch..
    Windows devices default to using the remote gateway, so any speed tests done will get pulled out the remote locations gateway.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Are there any workarounds available?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Your MAC is giving you the speed of your actual internet connection because it defaults to your local gateway. You can tell the Mac to force using the remote gateway with that checkbox....now it will benchmark the VPN connection using the remote connection you're VPN'd into...and not your local networks gateway.

With VPN services, your performance is based on the VPN hosts connection that you're VPN'd into. Not much you can do to increase that except up the internet connection where the VPN host is. I'm assuming you're talking about a business/corporate VPN connection. If its one of those anonymizer VPN services...those vary on performance all the time based on their loads at the moment but your speed tests from the Windows machine is probably fairly accurate. You can try a faster anonymizer VPN service.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!