Thread: Problems with small Network

GrovesPoint

Unhappy Problems with small Network

I have a small network three computers with hub. It used to be two computers connected directly together without a hub. Is there an easy way to fix that wire that connects the two machines adaptors or something like that.

------------------
    Sincerely,
    David G. Kimbley

TonyT

Sorry if it's me or your English but I don't understand your question. More info please!

Is there a problem w/ your cabling?

Are you using the same wire that you used when you had it setuo w/out a hub? If so then you may need different cables other than "crossover" type cables.

GrovesPoint

The wire which previously connected the two computers was cat/5 and I am trying to use it without rewiring. What I am trying to find out is if there is a way I can use some kind of off the shelf adaptor to make it work in the hub situation.

David

------------------
    Sincerely,
    David G. Kimbley

TonyT

The cat5 should plug right into the hub w/out adapters.

you can check here:
    http://www.sohointer.net/

[This message has been edited by TonyT (edited 02-13-2000).]

JBJ

If you connected two computers together without a hub, you were using a crossover cable. You need to buy new patch cables that are wired straight across (the same on both ends). After you do that, everything should work fine.

GrovesPoint

Thanks for the information.

Originally posted by JBJ:
    If you connected two computers together without a hub, you were using a crossover cable. You need to buy new patch cables that are wired straight across (the same on both ends). After you do that, everything should work fine.