Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who here has the *coolest* network set up in thier house?

Post Who here has the *coolest* network set up in thier house?

How many puters?
    How fast?
    What os?
    Through a cable modem?

I want to know who has the best, most sophisticated network here!

cb

fine. no one answer!

I'll answer this question a little later when I get to work, I'll sit down and type it all out ;-)

Blog Entries

I got like 5 PCs (one is usually off with all the guts out), 16 port 10/100 switch and some internet sharing routers around... Nothing fancy though, just good quality components. All 3COM 10/100 NICs. As far as OS, we currently run Win2000 Pro, Win98SE, Win95 and Linux.

good variety going there philip! yea I like to mess around with linux as well. I have like 5 desktops and 2 laptops. Haven't really felt the urge to build a great home network cause I don't really need it yet. It will come, oh yes, it will come. <--(famous quote from Wanes World... remember? well I altered it a bit to fit here). Sorry for that useless fact. Looking forward to your book brent ... as many people also do, I have pc guts hanging out all over the place, and a box of extras in the closet in case I need to do some surgery.

cb

Raider_CTE

Now I can tell my wife that I'm not the only that has parts laying everywhere around the house, in the kitchen, in the garage, in the yard, in the neighbors yard, etc, etc,......Got a small network with two desktops and one laptop all dual boot with NT and 98. 1 bay 16 port 10BT. All 3Com 905b's. 3 more days to the cable modem. Planning on using WinProxy.

Bman

Talking

I have 8 pc's. I use a 3Com SuperStacker 12 port dual speed switch, and a diskless linux router. I have an Intel Pro 100 print server running 3 printers. The os varies, from 2000 advanced server, to SuSE LiNUX, to Free BSD, to Win98, to DOS (yes good old DOS).

Smile

I have a modest set up
    1 server running NT4/Debian Linux with 2 10/100 nics, 5 port 10/100 autosensing switch connected to a cable modem.
    I use NAT on the NT4 side and my preferred software is Winroute. The Linux side of things isn't working to well yet
    I have 2 other PC's with 10/100 nics running 98, nt4, and Debian.... it's fun for gaming and surfing.... very fast!.

Yea Raider, you aren't the only one! Hey tool and bman, those are some nice setups. Everyone has thier own little style, with thier own choice of OS's... Now I am all excited to get some kind of network set up for my puters!

cb

------------------
    [This cableboy has been edited by message (edited 00-00-2000).]

Brent?

JBJ

Well, I have the most modest network set up of all. Three computers, all running W98SE, All Netgear NIC's and a four port 10/100 hub. (Yes, I know switches are better, and yes I know Netgear isn't the best) It works great for my purposes. It was incredibly inexpensive and has been 100% solid. The main thing is that I'm glad that I'm not the only geek with a box full of computer parts in his closet. I've built three computers, from parts in that box, for friends that didn't have the money to buy one. That's how I rationalize it... It's my good deed.

I have also built several computers for friends. My favorite computer store ever is this little corner place with a basement full of old parts. They have everything there.... from a battery for an Epson laptop circa 1986 to windows 2.1 or whatever the first windows was. They have shelves lined with cases, power supplies, old computer books, moniters, mobos, ram, cards, keyboards, mice, box fans, old software, complete systems... just about anything you would want! Its awesome.

cb

Maglor

Well, here's my setup:

Wingate/Proxy server running debian linux, connected to DSL modem & hub.

On the hub, 2 linux desktops, 2 linux laptops, one desktop Win98SE/Win2k Adv. Serv/Win Millennium Beta2 triple boot. I use the windows box for gaming, and the linux boxes for everything else

--Maglor

KillaPete

Win 98SE on my gaming machine (PII 400, 128 SDRAM), next to it there's my redhat 6.0 box (P166 64 simm) and connected to my entertainment system (for cool mp3 output, and broadband televesion) in the living room is my Win98SE laptop (P233 48 sdram).

These are all connected to a 10Mb 4 port hub.
    All my NICs are 10 Mb full dup/auto select.

I want to change my laptop to a wireless typoe connect, I haven't decided which one.

I want to get a laptop with an Athlon! But thats not possible yet

What I really need is something that I can game with on the road. Now all I need is a wireless t3 line to go to my laptop so I can play online.

Yea! THATS what Im going to get.

cb

------------------
    Want some rights? Check out the new @home Bill of Rights page!

@Home Bill of Rights Home Page (under MAJOR construction.)

@Home Bill of Rights Forum

Email me with some ideas/suggestions!

glitch13

WORK:

DSL
    16 Port hub 10MB =(
    3 Linux boxes:
    1 Masquerader/FTP/HTTP server
    1 Fileserver
    1 Postgress DB server
    (all running RH 5.1 =( )
    2 Win98SE production machines
    1 WinNT production machine
    1 Pentium133 laptop mobile production machine

HOME:
    COX@Home Cable
    SAMSUNG cable modem
    1 Celeron366 win98SE running ICS
    1 PentiumIII 500 Win2000 Client (roomate's)

neither setups are optimal but the get the job done just fine =)

Hardfloor

Home setup

PIII 600
    Shared printer
    Cable connection to a 10mbit 4 port hub
    From hub to a Netgear RT311 router
    Linksys NIC

Second computer (daughters)
    Mutt P166
    3com NIC
    Hooked to 4 port hub

Third computer (wifes)
    Compaq laptop
    Linksys USB NIC
    Uses it when she gets tired of her dialup
    Hooked to a second hub, which in turn is hooked to the 1st hub

Fourth computer (sons)
    Home built Celeron 366
    Linksys NIC
    Hooked to second hub, which is hooked to first hub again

Had to install a second hub, because my wife won't let me drill a hole in our ceiling (dammit). My sons computer is in a room with a stairwell between mine. So it is either run a cable through our ceiling, or run it across the floor in front of the stairway. As soon as my wife trips over it and takes a trip down the stairs, I will get to drill that hole. Which all of the hub stuff could have been solved if my Linksys router wouldn't have corrupted my files. I got tired and went and got me the Netgear, even though I still have the Linsys sitting right next to me. Maybe I will just hook it up somewhere in the network if they actually have the firmware fixed.

Hardfloor

Oh, and all running 98, except for my daughters, who is running 95.

Scorpion99

lol, Hardfloor, took some convincing to my paretns but they let me drill a hole through the floor into the wall to run a cable. We're getting DSL and my parents wanted to network our two comps so they could share the DSL, my rooms in the basement they're on the second floor. Had to drill a hole in the room, sanke the wire down, drill a hole into the basement from the first floor, snanke the wire through. Then it was easy sailing running the wire across my drop celing.

Anywho my setp:

Comp 1 (Mine)
    Athlon 600
    128mb ram
    Linksys NIC to linksys 5 port hub
    3com SDSL Modem (soon)

Comp 2 (families)
    K6-2 300
    64mb ram
    Linksys NIC to hub

------------------
    --Scorp

Newfvaly

This is what I have:

Network drops in all rooms that have been run to a 12 port patch panel which is located in my furnace room as a central point. From the patch panel they are hooked into a 8 port SMC 10/100 hub which is then hooked into my cable modem. Cable is using DHCP so each of my systems get their own network address. Here are the computer configuations:

My computers:

Intel PIII 450
    384Megs Ram
    44 Gigs HD space
    Combination of IDE and SCSI
    Win98se
    3COM 10/100 NIC

Pentium II 266
    128 Megs Ram
    8 Gig HD IDE
    Win2000 Professional
    3COM 10/100 NIC

Pentium 166
    128Megs Ram
    9gig SCSI HD
    3COM 10/100 NIC
    Win98

Pentium 166
    64 Megs Ram
    4 Gig SCSI
    SMC 8432 NIC
    NT4.0 Workstation

Wife's:
    Dell Latitude Notebook
    P300
    128Mgs Ram
    4G HD
    3COM 10/100 Cardbus
    Win95

Daughter's:
    Acer 233 Laptop
    128Megs ram
    4G HD
    10mbit NIC thru Docking station
    Win98se

Son's:
    PIII 450
    128Megs Ram
    6G HD
    3COM 10/100 nic
    Win98se

And in the process of building a few more. I will eventually have one in every room. If my wife lets me.