Thread: Network speeds

Post Network speeds

I just recently installed a Linky 4 port router. Like it fine ,works great but I'm getting lots of collisions between the two computers. I have a 3com 3C920 Fast Ethernet Controller in my Dell. The laptop(compaq unfortunatly) has a 3com 3C589C 10Base10-T and Coax card. The Dell is a 1.4 P4, and the card is 100Mbps compatible and the router recgonizes this. First off:

What is causing the collisions?
    What speeds should I expect over the network? (Seeing 500-600KB right now)
    Would it be prudent to get a 10/100Mbps card for the laptop?
    What protocol is best for speed and convience?

Thanks Dan
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

im not sure what is causing the collisions, but that speed is a little shlow but ssounds somewhat right, since 10Mbps=1.5MB so you are getting 4.4Mbps which is about 550K/S. You should consider getting a 10/100Mbps card for the laptop but that depends on what you are doing with the network. If you are just sharing the cable connection than you could stay with what you have, but if you are going to be playing multiplayer games or transfering files than you may want to upgrade.

For the network protocol you should use Netbeui. This is just the network protocol though, you still need TCP/IP installed to use the internet.
    Windows has not yet detected a keyboard. Press any key to continue.

Might the collisions be due to the cards differing speeds?

I am still not exactly sure. Wait for someone else to come along and see if they can answer that question for you.

Collisions on a half-duplex Ethernet segment mean only one thing... Everything is working fine. Collisions are a part of half-duplex Ethernet like static is a part of AM radio. The ratio of collision frames verse normal frames, well this is where the waters part. If you can find two people/manufactures to agree on that number you may have found the missing link.
    Carrier Sense Multiple Access / Collision Detect (CSMA/CD) this is what makes Ethernet work; here is a link for more information. http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/foldoc/42/26.htm
    Please note in a “Switched” environment you can run full-duplex. Meaning the collision detect functionality is disabled. You can talk and listen at the same time.

The speed you should expect is another loaded question. 10baseT Ethernet is said to run at 10Mbs. The problem comes back to CSMA/CD from above. Half-duplex Ethernet starts falling apart as your traffic load increases (Collisions start increasing). I personally have never seen more than 750KBs of through put on a half-duplex Ethernet segment. Do the math with 750KBs and you get 6Mbs, must keep big “B” and little “b” straight.
    The rule with half-duplex Ethernet is at 70% utilization it’s over; Collisions become the majority of your traffic. Looks like you are getting between 4 – 4.8Mbs on your LAN.
    That looks normal to me.

I would upgrade the laptop only if you will have a lot of traffic between your local hosts.

As for the protocol, I am not a Microsoft Geek. I will let someone else tackle that question.

Hope this helps.

Matt

P.S.
    Being new to this forum not sure if there are any sharp shooters in the crowd.
    I don’t play that game. If you don’t know what I am talking about then you are not one and that is a good thing.

lol thats a funny one that was some good info you just gave out btu also if he might want to knwo that 10 based conection cant go over 10mbps and dido for a 100 "100mbps"
    i would run the cards on auto detect that way it can choose for it's self and that might help you some and yea there are actuly soem really smart guys in here but you have your real dumb ones that post the same question over and over again it is sad
    ------------------------------------------------
    .specs.
    Abit Nf7-S rev 2~AMD AThlon xp 2500+ ~(1.83ghz)@3400+(2.442ghz)~tt valconoe 12+~Geil Ultra Series~256MB DDR PC-3500~ATI-AIW-Radeon~9800pro-128mb_ddr~100 gig' for xp
    ---------------------------------------------

The "sharp shooter" comment was out of line. I have seen forums that when someone answers, that is the cue for the feeding frenzy to begin and pick apart the answer. It was rude of me make the comment.

We all bring something different to the table. As I look at my dish I am not sure what.

Love the Forum

Matt

Thanks, I kinda figured I was getting what the cards had to offer, the collision thing worried me a bit tho. Appreciate the help.

One more question:
    Lets assume boths cards are 10/100 capable, what speeds would one like to see then? In terms of KB? ( I associate NetStat numbers well, most other formats just make my noggin spin)

[ 04-30-2001: Message edited by: evil brembo ]

Originally posted by evil brembo:
    One more question:
    Lets assume boths cards are 10/100 capable, what speeds would one like to see then? In terms of KB? ( I associate NetStat numbers well, most other formats just make my noggin spin)

[ 04-30-2001: Message edited by: evil brembo ]
    Well both of my cards are 10/100 and I get about 2-2.5 Megabytes persecond which is about 15 to 20 megabits persecond. Thats what I get sometimes is goes faster sometimes it goes slower.

Thank you again.