Thread: Linksys BEFW11S4 kills speed

pdperry

Question Linksys BEFW11S4 kills speed

When directly connected to my main workstation, the cable modem speeds are great. When I connect to the Linksys, speed is fine for a few minutes, then drops to around 56k. Reconnect the cable modem directly to the workstation again, do a couple of resets, speed comes back. All tweaks in place. W/O being connected to the cable modem, the Linksys networks my three systems just fine. Linksys support sent me here(?!). I've looked around, but was unable to find a specific solution.
    Help?
    -pē

are plugging your cable modem into the uplink port on your hub (assuming that your "Linksys" is a hub) there should be a uplink or "out to hub" jack on it your cable modem needs to be plugged into it
    Speed Kills ...use Windoze

pdperry

The Linksys is a fwireless access point + cable/dsl router with a 4-port switch. I've done as the directions indicated by plugging the output RJ-45 from the cable modem into the Linksys's WAN port.

That's the easy part...

try to plug it in the uplink port

I have read about that linksys and it says use the uplink for cable modem

pdperry

Wouldn't that then defeat all the firewall protection?! I'd be directly connecting to the LAN side of the router/firewall and not the WAN side. In effect, wouldn't I just be using the Linksys as a network switch/hub with wireless capabilities?

no it will still do and act the same but there are known issues of sending LAN data over WAN connections so try it and see if it works better

Originally posted by pdperry:
    Wouldn't that then defeat all the firewall protection?! I'd be directly connecting to the LAN side of the router/firewall and not the WAN side.
    You're correct- you do not use uplink port, unless you're by-passing switch to go directly another hub/switch. Connection to cable modem is from WAN port only.

I don't know why your speed is degrading, but your connections are correct.

Is the client PC you're connecting with hooked to switch via hard-wire, or wireless? How do the wireless clients work? Are they degrading too?

I have not used this particular model, but have set up several WAP11's, with separate firewall/NAT routers, and on internal Corporate LANs, and they've all worked great.

Just curious- what OS; NICs; other hardware info??
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

pdperry

Right now, the only machine connected is not using WAP and is my main system running WindowsME. A Dell Model XPS-Z (4100), PIII~864 Mhz with a Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter. Connecting via @HOME service.

Tried again last night by following exactly the cable modem procedure as outlined in the review of the Linksys EitherFast Cable/DSL Router posted on this site.

Speed was fine for about three minutes, then degraded to around 56kps.

Then, unplugged the cable modem and shut-down 'puter. Reconnected directly to the cable modem, powered-up same, powered-up 'pooter, speed comes back immediately.

Something is up between either the router and the cable modem or between my NIC and the router.

Any secrets I'm missing?! I tried the WAP connection earlier, and it too degrades.