Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm in a web surfing rut

Unhappy I'm in a web surfing rut

Over the past couple of years I've found myself exploring the Web less and less and repeatedly viewing a list of 20 or so bookmarked websites that I consider "necessary" in order to stay informed. I'm really starting to feel like I'm boxed in. At times I've considered deleting all my bookmarks and just starting from ground zero. Making a pact with myself to stop viewing the old sites and move on.

My current list includes a bicycle forum, a couple of computer/technology news sites, the usual NYTimes, WaPo and LATimes websites along with the 'bay, CL, shopGoodwill and a guitar/music information/forum site. Although these do help keep me informed I still sometimes feel like I'm just refreshing the pages waiting for something new to pop up. I do have other outside interests (archery, gardening, etc) and I will frequent them by doing a web search when necessary.

Not only do I need to start spending less time in front of a screen, I would like to break away from the norm and expand and diversify the sites that I frequent. I'd really like to know some of the off the beaten path sites that you (not MadDoctor) guys (gals) frequent and find useful/interesting. I really need a new jump-start. I'm really close to deleting my bookmarks and moving on to something completely new.

(Does any of that make sense?)

Blog Entries
    I have a number of sites I frequent in my spare time as well.. But life circumstances change my routines, or at least I like to think I change them periodically I suppose. I don't want to delete my favorites though, I have a number of links to utility sites for paying taxes, insurance, and a few other categories (travel sites like kayak.com, airbnb, etc., shopping sites like Amazon/Ebay/CL/Newegg, for example). If my habits change, I typically change my bookmarks, but I do like to have a bookmark bar displayed in my browser, with very short clickable links to weatherunderground, SG administration, Google, Amazon/Ebay, etc.

I also visit other sites somewhat regularly that I have no bookmarks for, like Youtube, IMDB, etc. that just come up in search results on certain topics, or I know the URLs for by heart.

As to dropping them all and starting over, I'd probably gravitate to at least a subset of the same sites, as they provide the best utility for me atm.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I've actively been working on "less and less" myself..but intentionally.
    I've really cut down most forum stuff, my topics have narrowed down also. I sold my last Harley (due to lower back problems)..so no more Harley forums for maintaining the old school bikes. Replaced with 2x boating forums..since we got an express cruiser that I'm on most weekends (except for the upcoming winter of course).
    My IT/tech forums have dwindled. When I get home from work, after dinner...I really try to avoid getting buried in my computer. Too much to do at home, plus getting old...prefer to try to find time (impossible) to relax.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Like YeOldeStonecat said I'm basically working on less but more so with social media... Trying to go on that toxic filth as little as possible.

I'm the same as the OP that I really don't enjoy the internet very much anymore. The last time I really enjoyed it was back before social media got so big, when forums were the main way of communicating with a bunch of people (other than chat rooms etc). Probably why I'm here because the forum design and software brings back serious memories.

Along with social media changing all that I think also YouTube has changed the web a lot. Where there used to be good websites, it's all moved to youtube and to be honest I'm just not that into it. I'd say people like us are in the minority as there are more people connected to the web now than ever... Whereas I've used it less and less over time.

One of my approaches has been to not turn on my computer until after a certain hour. That will usually change depending on my mood but there are many times on a Saturday or Sunday that I tell myself not to turn it on until after dinner. It seems to change my focus on everything that day.

Thanks Humboldt. I take a look around.

My finding new stuff routine is usually related to something that broke that I want to fix, or something I want to improve on. So I end up googling stuff like frigidare icemaker schematics, how to rewind a honda recoil starter, or how to kill all the moles.

My gaming group is pretty well spread accross the world so the news I end up hearing about from them Ill sometimes look into, other than that I don't look beyond skiming google news headlines and reading Ars Technica.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Also don't forget that books are still a thing, they are often better written and more engaging than what you find on the Internet.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    Also don't forget that books are still a thing, they are often better written and more engaging than what you find on the Internet.
    Actually that is one of the things I've been trying to do. I've started a couple but they haven't been able to keep my attention for more than 25 pages in. I think I just need to find a new genre to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    Actually that is one of the things I've been trying to do. I've started a couple but they haven't been able to keep my attention for more than 25 pages in. I think I just need to find a new genre to read.
    I just read The Reluctant Mr. Darwin, by Daivd Quanmmen.

It is only about 260 pages, it reads like a story and it is about Charles Darwin. It was an easy nice read plus you get to learn about Darwin and his work.

I'm really not a big reader but when I do I seem to do in in bursts. I usually become interested in a particular genre and saturate myself with it until I feel it's becoming redundant. My latest binge has been with spy novels. Books by Dale Brown, Brad Thor and ones like that. Unfortunately, the last 2 that I started didn't push my buttons and I realized I have hit my saturation point for those books.

I've read all the science fantasy and science fiction I would ever want to read years ago. I have been playing around with the idea of getting back into and reading more Kafka and Existentialism. I did go through an Existentialism period but never quite felt I had read as much as I would have liked.

Blog Entries
    I find Tom Clancy's novels entertaining, I am reading the ones about Jack Ryan in order.. It's taking a while since I don't have much time to read, but I am at number 7, The Sum of All Fears.

As far as other sites, I also visit reddit and sometimes github.

Tom Clancy's stuff is good. The others I mentioned were good too. I also enjoyed the Alex Cross books. During my Spy/CIA/SpecialOps reading binge I must have gone through 20 books in that genre. But, I've hit my limit.

I need to do some shopping today and next to the bike store is a book store. I think I'll drop in and do a little browsing.

Blog Entries
    I read on my 8" tablet usually in the last few years. Works well for me to hold in one hand while reading and not too heavy.

I like reading Carl Hiaasen's books. Especially the Skink series. Funny as heck and with a human interaction that will leave you shaking your head.

Lefty...

I checked out that guy's website and some of his books look interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    Lefty...

I checked out that guy's website and some of his books look interesting. Thanks for the tip.
    I have never been able to put his books down for a long time. I read his books faster than anyone other author.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I like reading Carl Hiaasen's books. Especially the Skink series. Funny as heck and with a human interaction that will leave you shaking your head.
    Philip and Ken should like the books, they are written mostly in Florida.