Thread: Windows 8.1 and OneDrive

Advanced Member

Windows 8.1 and OneDrive

I helped someone the other day with a wipe the computer, install Windows 8.1. He uses OneDrive extensively. It was still Skydrive and not working. We applied some updates, now the Skydrive shows most of his files, but pictures (.jpg) do not show when browsing in Windows Explorer and he cannot open them from there (in a program such as Publisher). If he goes on his browser, to his OneDrive, the pics show up and he can view them there. I changed the setting so it should be MAKE AVAILABLE OFFLINE, which I thought would copy all content from OneDrive down to this PC, but that does not seem to work either. How can we upgrade that to Onedrive vs. Skydrive, and why are pictures not visible and useable?

Blog Entries
    I don't use OneDrive, but it comes preinstalled with Windows 8/10. I would uninstall and reinstall it, then make the files available offline again. Are other jpg files associated with Image-editing software, and local image files have no issues? Synchronizing offline content may take some time as well.

Advanced Member
    Other content, if he looks in folders other than a sub of SKYDRIVE, are fine. Thing is, I reloaded clean with Win 8.1 and it had Skydrive, but would not work (it said it needed updates first). We did that, but now have this problem. But my wife's laptop has had 8.1 for quite a while and it has Onedrive, not Skydrive. I was thinking maybe it was a synch issue, but it has been overnight, since yesterday afternoon, and still the issue.

Blog Entries
    According to Microsoft, it was just a rename and not a big change so there were no files moved. There may be some type of permissions/folder naming issues with the update though. I am not familiar with OneDrive and I no longer run Windows 8, but you may want to disbale/remove it and try installing it from scratch. What about stopping it, then renaming the local folder, does it create one when restarted?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    OneDrive went through a lot of growing pains as it mature. For quite a while there were a LOT of updates. If this client hadn't updated since the old SkyDrive...well, time to update.
    I'm fairly sure mine is update, it shows version 2018 build 18.111.0603.0006 (I have OD4B not residential)

LOVE OneDrive and Sharepoint...great products now. Makes all my data accessible from all my computers no matter where I am.

The newer versions have an option to download all, or save space by downloading on demand. Download on demand means the local client will show the file name on it, but instead of a green check on it meaning it's downloaded and sync'd...it will have a cloud icon meaning it's not downloaded, just a thumbnail..if you double click it it will download in a few seconds. You might be running into that.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    Actually, I was there Monday and after a bunch of updates it started working right. If I couldn't get it, he was gonna swap computers with his wife, who does not use or need the cloud, OneDrive.