Thread: Improving Google searches

Question Improving Google searches

I know there are several places to get tips and tricks in order to improve a Google search but I've never seen anything regarding this... Is there any way to create a "blanket" rule where your search doesn't include eBay? I know I can just put a " -ebay " in the search line but what if I never want it to search eBay unless I specifically say so?

I can use -site:ebay.com at the beginning of each search and it seems to work but I'm just wondering if there is a way to make this portion of the search permanent?
    Last edited by Easto; 12-14-18 at 08:17 AM.

I'm pretty sure there isn't. I was just so ticked off this morning while searching for a small obscure item and all I kept getting were eBay this or Amazon that. I'll just do it as I mentioned above. It's a bit of a hassle but it works.

Blog Entries
    I don't think there is a built-in option either, but there may be an extension to add this as a functionality..

Something like this? --> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...aogikpmpbdcdef
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

^^ Interesting. I'll install it this weekend and see how well it works.

The reason I got so ticked off this morning... I'm restoring an older bicycle, I'm looking for repair tips and tricks but when you type in something like "1969 Raleigh brake repair" all I get is a bunch of sites trying to sell me anything mildly related to a Raleigh. I'm not looking for that at all. It seems like the first 3-5 pages that Google spits out are all either ads or sponsored.

That's weird that this extension is by Google(?)

Blog Entries
    I know what you're saying... I also don't like how they changed the first results in searches being Ads in many cases, then you get hits by Amazon/Fleabay, and the rest of the internet comes below that.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Exactly.

I'm using a domain name operator... -site:ebay.com -site:amazon.com in my searches. I've created a search with a generic term "Bikes" and then those operators and bookmarked that page. Then when I want to do a google search I open that page and replace the word at the beginning. Example, changing "Bikes" to "Martin Guitar". So far that really seems to help.