Thread: HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 & Word 2013

Advanced Member

HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 & Word 2013

Helping someone with a weird problem. He has an HP OfficeJet Pro 8740, Windows 10 & Word 2013. The problem is some of the documents when you go to print them in Word, it goes in the print queue, then very quickly disappears. You hear a little noise from the printer, like it is going to print, then nothing happens. It does not print, no error message, nothing. A file I sent him would not print. We created a new document and I typed one sentence in Calibria font and it printed. I tried another sentence in a cursive font and got the problem, noise, quick showing and the disappearing in the queue, but no printing. I tried a few different docs he had on the computer and they printed. I tried Googling this problem but found no real resolution. I even tried uninstalling the HP printer, and going thru the folders and deleting any relevant files then searching thru the registry to make sure all entries for the 8740 were deleted. Then I reinstalled most recent version from HP's website. The problem still existed. I thought, tried, tested and showed him how to save it as PDF, which will then print. One Google search a person had the same problems and even recommended for a work around to save it as a PDF first, (something I thought of on my own).

Can anyone provide a real solution to this, so it will always print from Word 2013?

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a driver issue or a printer setting. Some printers may have advanced page processing and built-in postscript fonts, I'd look into disabling such options in the printer bulit-in menus, and driver settings.

Advanced Member
    I found in my Google search where it was recommended to make sure "Print Postscript over text" and "Print only the data from a form" were disabled in Word, unchecked. Both entries were already unchecked. I could not find any other similar settings in the printer's various setting menus.

Blog Entries
    I would see if there is a printer firmware update available, or try an alternate driver: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796821

Is this only when printing from Word?

Advanced Member
    Yes and some things will print from Word and other things will not. I even had a new document, did the =rand(10) and the resultant text printed. Then I changed the font in one paragraph and it would not print. Yet when I then saved that as a PDF and printed the PDF, it printed fine, even with the odd selected different font. So it is not that the printer can't handle that font or it would not have printed it from Adobe.

Blog Entries
    How about Wordpad? I still think you should try a different driver. Office also has Service Packs, installing the latest one may help if it is Word-only issue.

Advanced Member
    Did not try Wordpad. When I get back to that person, I will try the Office Service Packs, I have the ones for Office 2013. Not sure how I could try a different driver, as I d/l the latest from HP. But it definitely seems more like an Office issue and not the printer itself.

some Office 2013 updates have cause more problems than fixing them

some "printing" issues discussed in Microsoft answers forums about Word 2013:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-f927391d23a0
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-57087af909c0

they may not be related to installing certain updates to Office/Word 2013