Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kids getting awards at school

I never disrespected a teacher not even the ones I disliked and no one had to hit me or feed me drugs.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

This thread is nothing but egoistical posturing.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

What is this "school" thing yous guys is talking about?!?!??!
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Blog Entries
    There is nothing egotistical about it, just people sharing their issues with the current system.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    There is nothing egotistical about it, just people sharing their issues with the current system.
    Oh that is all I am doing as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    Oh that is all I am doing as well.
    Great... except in your last post.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Great... except in your last post.
    I am just complaining about a different generation. One that grew up with remnants of social Darwinism and an erroneous notion that age gifts intelligence rather than actual study.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    When I went to school at 14 we made am radios out of wire, nails and a block of wood!
    Transistor radios and we certainly did not take them to school. AM...

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    And now they give you an award.

I really don't get it. My wife brings home a few of the grand kid's awards and they just crack me up. They hand these things out for the most basic, expected behavior. The only awards (reward) I got when I was in elementary school was the privileged of making it to the next grade.

I remember about 25 years ago a couple of my friends graduated from law school and had passed the bar examination. They were both close friends of mine and they new my father who was an attorney and wanted to come over and let him know what they had accomplished. They walked in and after greeting my dad they announced that they had both passed the bar examination on their first attempt. My dad replied "What's so hard about that?". Cracked me up big time.
    It's a joke. They don't keep score at games so that no one feels like a loser. Reward everyone! No need to stimulate competition, just be an average slacker. The government will take care of you!

What do you call a person that scores a 69 on the medical exam? ...Doctor...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    What do you call a person that scores a 69 on the medical exam? ...Doctor...
    There is a stark difference between American higher education and American education k-12.

The QS Higher Education System Strength Rankings, which ranks the higher education on a nationwide front, found that the US on the overall ranking was number one.

The United States has been named as the strongest country in the world for higher education, according to the QS Higher Education System Strength Rankings 2018.

Released today, the HESS ranking compares higher education systems around the world and ranks them according to four indicators: System strength (how universities perform in rankings), access (how easily people in that country can gain access to higher education), flagship institution (how well the country's top university performs) and economic context (impact of national investment in higher education).

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the United States achieves a perfect score in each of the four indicators. The United Kingdom is the only other country to rank in the top five for each of the four, while other countries such as Singapore and China perform particularly well in some indicators more than others (in Singapore's case, it's ranked fourth for flagship institution, while China is ranked second for economic context).
    https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...-rankings-2018
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 07-05-18 at 05:16 PM.

When I was 14 in school I did an operation on a live rat for biology class. My band teacher pulled me from class and made me practice solo in his office until he was convinced I was ready to rejoin the band. I played football for the fist time and the gym teacher stood by doing nothing as a much larger kid targeted me over and over slamming me to the ground. That went on until I jump to the side and leg swiped the kid, the gym teacher still did nothing. A kid on the bus came up behind me and put me in a choke hold, I turned around and kicked his ass, the supervising teacher on the bus never reported it (no one was seriously injured). And the following summer I got my first job (at 14) working for the Forest Service, through a school facilitated program.

I am considered generation X, which is considered the be an independent generation since we were mostly left to solve problems on our own. I made penalty mistakes, but I learned form those mistakes. No one had to hit me, not at home or in the school. I don't agree with the notion that we have to smack kids around, but we also don't always have to pull their hand back from the fire. If experience is such the great teacher, then let it do its job, but this notion that hitting kids is the only way to go, is outdated nonsense.

Has anybody here ever known a psychologist or psychiatrist's kids? Like preacher's kids, they are usually the worst... Medicine is not an exact science and psychology in general, definitely has much to be learned...

Uninformed subjective generalizations are definitely not reliable.

My teacher usually confiscates it then give it back to the owner after class.