Thread: Trying to kick Coffee

Cool Trying to kick Coffee

I've been drinking rich, dark black coffee for a lot of years.

Every so often I decide to decaffeinate my body and I'll go without any for a while. So far the longest I've been able to abstain is about 1 month. This time, I'm going to try and kick it for good. No particular reason other than I feel I'm addicted to it and a little obsessive/compulsive with it, so I'm thinking why not just stop all together?

I'm on my third day and I have to say I've never had the withdraw feelings that I'm getting this time. Most notably are the body aches. They do feel like they're going away but they're still lingering today. Fortunately the headaches only lasted about 1 day and that seems to have cleared up.

Blog Entries
    Headaches and body aches, really?

I've never tried to quit coffee, I always thought it's much better than a lot of other things people drink (sodas, sweetened shakes, energy drinks, etc.) I know, I know, I'm not helping - I think it is a good thing that you are recognizing being obsessive about something and willing to work on it, whatever it is.

Your body gets used to what you eat/drink, and any changes are bound to throw it out of balance for a few days, but it will readjust, just hang in there long term. Even if you slip (I'm not saying you will), all that matters with is what you do long-term.

I have quit for short periods of time before. I do have to tell you one thing, when you haven't had a cup of coffee for several weeks you'll think you're on speed (maybe not exactly). that's when you say to yourself "Now I know why I started drinking the stuff". If I fall off the wagon it's usually not very hard at first. In the beginning I can cut down to 1 cup a day but within a week it's up to 2 in the morning and then after that... 4 or 5. I basically look at it like smoking. I remember getting up in the morning and realizing I was lighting up before I even got out of bed. It was at that point where I knew I didn't have control and that bothered me. Haven't smoked for 20 years.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I look at it as in moderation. I used to easily be above 1 pot a day sometimes towards 2 pots.

Now I'm down to 1 mug in the morning, sometimes 1 at the office when I get there. Rarely a 3rd now.
    No additives...always preferred it juts plain black.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The tough part is that I really enjoy the flavor and taste. Like Stonecate... I was easily doing a pot a day.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    My lower back issues are what drove me to slow way down, since caffiene dehydrates your body, and I need to keep as much fluid as I can in my spine/disks. This damn lower back problem is making me change a lot in my life, not only giving up coffee and slowing down on drinking booze, but ..I stopped riding the Harley this summer...just put it up for sale. Going back to boating the boating life I've been out of for about 10 years...we're on the hunt for a ~30 foot cruiser.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I've been bicycling a lot the last couple of years. I used to always like the "pick-me-up" that coffee provided right before a ride, but now I'm interested in seeing if there is any performance change now that I've stopped. I'm fortunate that at my age I'm in good health and I'm still able to get out and exercise and enjoy myself. Although there seems to be more aches and pains every year.

The data are divided on the health benefits or lack of when it comes to coffee, so we are getting really mixed messages on that front; however, one thing seems consistent: It is recommend you do not consume more than 400 mg of caffeine daily (which is roughly 4 mugs a day). Caffeine, when not abused, may actually be good for the heart and improve cognitive functions; but when you drink too much of it then it becomes bad for you.

I don't drink coffee very often, but I down tea all day long. A cup of earl gray has about half the caffeine of a cup of coffee, and you can always scale down to a green tea (which is even less caffeine) at the end of the day to help control the caffeine intake.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

2 crucial mugs in the morning, that's it.
    One while I feed dogs, second on the drive to work.

Twice a week when I go to the bank I might get a half paper cup around 4PM.

Can I live without it? Yes.

Would it suck at first? Yes.

I'm at about 5 days without any coffee. The aches and headaches are gone. I get up and walk by the pot of coffee and by instinct I want to reach for a clean mug and sip away. I do have to say that I enjoy the flavor and the whole routine involved. Right now I'm just trying to be aware of the routine and situations that would normally involve coffee. The wife will grind some fresh beans every morning and we have a steaming pot going first thing. The smell is amazing.

a day without coffee,i can't imagine that.

Blog Entries
    Hi Ronny I love my coffee in the morning as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    I've been bicycling a lot the last couple of years. I used to always like the "pick-me-up" that coffee provided right before a ride, but now I'm interested in seeing if there is any performance change now that I've stopped. I'm fortunate that at my age I'm in good health and I'm still able to get out and exercise and enjoy myself. Although there seems to be more aches and pains every year.
    A good brand of B-12 will give you a quick boost that doesn't roller coaster like caffeine. Utah is a brand that I get from Amazon. Red liquid with a dropper that you give a squirt under your tongue, leave it there for a minute or so and take off! Couple that with some vitamin E and your wife will go crazy!

https://www.amazon.com/Vitamin-B12-L.../dp/B00V3R4CJY

I do love me some java though. Usually about 4 cups every morning, sometimes a cup after evening meal.

I'm sitting right about at 2 weeks without any. I don't really consider it out of my system (both mental and physical) until I've made it 30 days.

Blog Entries
    It's probably out of your system physically, most often it's the psychological/mental/habitual aspect that's harder to kick.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

I do one cup/day now, a 16oz cup made using a french press.
    For several years I was drinking "half-caf", half regular and half decaf mixed in order to ease up the strain on the liver. Now I'm back to that one cup of real stuff in the morning. Works as a laxative for me!

I does take about 30 days, sometimes even longer, for caffeine to fully leave the body. Best to compliment such a detox with daily vitamins. A pack of separate vits, not an all-in-one pill. Vit B-1 will help in eliminating the headaches and mental anguish. The toughest part is feeling the "lack of energy" or "uneasiness" and then assigning the cause to the lack of caffeine, followed by one's thoughts such as "I need coffee" or I need a boost to continue." Truth is we can make our own energy and "boost" by thought alone and get over the humps, but sometimes the repercussion is too great to face and drinking a cup is the easier solution.

Sometimes just having something to drink is enough after a couple weeks. Try water with lemon or some type of tea w/out caffeine.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH