Thread: Riding mowers

Riding mowers

My 14 year-old 28" Snapper rear engine finally died.

Mower deck is completely rusted through.

About $500 for a new deck plus at least $300-$400 labor to replace.

Neither place in town is stocking Snapper mowers anymore, as the reviews of the new ones are horrible. They could order in the replacement similar to mine for about $1600.

Faced with store 1, which carries Gravely 42" 0-turn for $3200.

Store 2 has Husqvarna 42" tractor mower (front engine) for $1800 base model.

Anyone here tried 0-turn? Only mowing about 1 1/2 acres, flat.

Wondering if it's worth paying almost twice as much.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Most professionals prefer the zero-turn ones, but if you're already content with a regular wheeled riding mower I wouldn't spend $3200 on a 0-turn one.
    The issues with the tractor mowers are a bit less visibility up front and wider turns, so it may need a bit of getting used to, but oh well, it's just a mower.

Alternatively, you could always go green, buy a few rabbits, or goats and save a bundle
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Alternatively, you could always go green, buy a lamb or some sheep... and save a bundle
    Fixed for truth.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Blog Entries
    Now you are getting some expert advice!

I have 2 acres to mow, I have a Husqvarna front engine mower, 46" deck. I love it. Its 8 years old now, got the mulching kit and the more car like gas pedal thats more comfortable to press. In hindsight I would have gone to a higher tier model cuz back in 2010 this one didnt have support for arm rests. The newer ones also replaced the cigarette lighter with a port to charge the battery without having to remove it from the tractor or even open the hood. They use Ctek chargers.

If you don't have a lot of obstacles then you may not need a zero turn. I can mow my whole yard without having to put it in reverse. They have a bunch of attachments if you want to go crazy. I'm just happy with it mulching and having a hitch to tow things.

OMGHI2U Humby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111111111

I have a John Deere L120, I believe. I only rode it once when I first bought it, ran over, ...ok ran into , an old tree stump, jarred the @#%^&&%$## out of my back, haven't been on it since.

Alex likes to ride it and the guy that cuts mine, his and another's grass, likes it. It starts, cuts a wide swatch of grass, can pull a trailer, attachments, including a tarp type roof canopy, you know for mowing in the rain or sun for shade... It is quite fast and if they lean back and pull up on steering wheel, it can pop a little wheelie!

When young people (kids) come over, they love to play drive it, if that counts!

In the '60's, they said, "smoke grass, don't mow it"! Humby, check your location...

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Zeros are GREAT if you have a lot of obstacles like tree's, fancy land scaping, etc.
    Zeros are a waste if you just have a traditional wide open lawn were you never get a chance to utilize their superior maneuverability.
    Zero don't work well if you have hills...many are not easy to keep driving straight as you cut across inclines. There are a couple of zero brands that have models with traditional steering wheels...but it's a complex steering mechanism to maintain.

Myself...I have a traditional sorta entry level John Deere...think it's the same model as Ken da pirate above. Being an "L" series it's not a "real" John Deere...it's one of the Lowes models actually made by MTD who makes about 95% of all the other big "box store" models that all brands sell..the non-commercial models. Walk into any Home Depot or Lowes or <whatever> and any brand you may recognize...chances are that tractor came out of MTDs factory. Different than the commercial models.Different than the X series models.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Good info @ 4:15

Hey guys,

About 1 1/2 acres, flat except for the f*cking gopher mounds and a few places where tree roots are buckling the ground.

Two storage sheds I mow the sides and front of but not the back, fenced 15' x 20' garden, 4 apple trees, picnic table...lots of dog graves.

Not much to maneuver around, I'm sure I'd love a 0-turn but don't think I need one. I don't.

Probably going with the Husky tractor 42".

Certainly don't need a cigarette lighter or arm rests.

Learned a long time ago that even drinking a beer on the mower wasn't worth the foam or loss of control.

Beer goes on the picnic table and I just stop by every few laps.

I am on my 4th year of cutting an acre on Hustler Raptor zero turn. Unless I needed a tractor, I wouldn't go back as the zero turn cut my time in half. If all you are doing is mowing, they can't be beat. Mowing grass at 6-7mph is nice as I have a lot to do unlike my retired neighbor who mows every single day. If you don't mind spending a little more, at least get a mower with a fabricated deck. Got mine on a military special for $2750. Those Gravely's are nice as well.

USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

You probably already know that Snapper was sold, twice. I think Briggs and Stratton owns the name now. I got rid of my Snapper rider about 6 years ago and got a neuton battery mower. My lawn is large but not the acre I used to have before moving here and didn't need a rider anymore really. The Neuton is wearing out so I traded up to an 82 volt Snapper with a power drive on it. I know that's not for you though. There are lots of riders that get good reviews. Find one you like and be happy. My only advice is to get one with an engine with steel sleeves and not a fully aluminum block. 12 hp maybe should be plenty.
    I have no idea how to stop the rust under a deck where you live though.
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.