Thread: Windows 10 & Windows Defender Interface

Advanced Member

Windows 10 & Windows Defender Interface

So I was helping someone today with their Windows 10, 1803 (OS Build 17134.48) and no matter what I tried, I could not get it so they could access the Classic Interface for Windows Defender. I tried the trick to make a shortcut of the msascui.exe file, but even that did not do it. Can someone tell me how I can set this up?

Or is this another one of the changes that Microsoft "claimed" would not be happening with their effing "forced updates", where they claimed the reason for the forced updates was to keep people's computers safe with all the latest security patches. But has turned into a programmer's playground to experiment with all manner of stupid pointless changes, just because they can.

I am SO ANGRY at Microsoft over these kinds of things.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Pretty sure the old interface went away last fall.

Defender has been substantially expanded...as has many other antivirus brands. With account hijacking and ransomware and new ways of infecting the OS, Defender has evolved to keep up with other security software and "the need" for it. Not only pure file scanning like old antivirus, but additional layers to the user account, and core OS processes, and running memory, and ransomware protection.

https://www.windowscentral.com/whats...il-2018-update

You can still get into the regular antivirus scanner settings in there to set exclusions and what not....similar to the old version (which wasn't all too granular anyays).
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Advanced Member
    Well I have been able to get into the Classic Interface up until very recently. By making the desktop shortcut as I mentioned. But why did MS have to completely change how you use the program vs. just adding more tabs or more options within the structure of the Classic Interface it had? There is no excuse for Microsoft doing these kinds of changes. Especially when you don't really have the option to Not Update and leave the software as you bought it.

Blog Entries
    The problem is not with the OS evolving - parts of it are moving towards the Metro interface looks with every update it seems (Network adapter properties, Windows Defender, etc.)

The issue is with the forced update to newer versions I suppose. You may be able to stop those though, here are a few ideas:

1) Stop the Windows update service (not really a good idea, as you will miss on security updates)

2) Local Group policy editor (gpedit.msc , not in the "Home" edition though):
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update --> right-click "Configure Automatic Updates" policy

3) Windows Registry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows --> right-click the "Windows" folder, create a new "Key" named "WindowsUpdate" --> right-click "WindowsUpdate" key, create a new "Key" named "AU" --> under that key, create a DWORD (32-bit) named "AUOptions", and set its value to one of these:

2 - "Notify for download and notify for install."
    3 - "Auto download and notify for install."
    4 - "Auto download and schedule the install."
    5 - "Allow local admin to choose settings."

Setting "AUOptinos" to "2" will just notify you of new updates without forcing them.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑