Thread: TcpInitialRTT

TcpInitialRTT

Hello!
    i want to know what is the best value for TcpInitialRTT (i'm mean for gaming)?
    i hope someone will help me

Blog Entries
    This specifies the retransmission timer... It was originally in this registry location, but was later hard-coded and it didn't have an effect:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<interface-name>\TcpInitialRTT

is the same as (and may be modified using netsh / PowerShell):
    netsh interface tcp set global initialRto=3000

The default value is 3 seconds (3000 milliseconds), this actually causes TCP connections to timeout after 21 seconds though, as follows. There are three SYN Retransmissions by default, each twice the timeout of the previous one. So, with our 3 seconds InitialRto timeout:
    total connection timeout = 3 + 6 + 12 = 21 seconds

This can be reduced/increased by modifying initialRto, or the number of Max SYN Retransmissions.

As to your original question, it depends on your Internet connection (how stable it is), and who you connect to. This setting only controls how fast your TCP connections will timeout in case the other side stops responding.

I hope this helps.
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Thank You so much!