Thread: Windows 10 caps my downloads at 6.0

Windows 10 caps my downloads at 6.0

Goodmorning,

Summary: my downloads are being capped by windows 10 and I cant figure out why, what's going on?

Long version: I hate the new windows interface (the last good windows version was XP), with the 'apps' instead of programs and the metro menu instead of the old start menu. I'm on a pc, not a tablet, sod off with your touchscreen interface and apps. I dont have a touchscreen and so on. So I said fck it, and switched to linux. The problem is that it's annoying for my friends. I tried, but specific games just dont want to work on linux and even if they do it makes playing together a hassle. I partially solved it by having 4 ubuntu's, so that that if I change something to fix one game and break everything, it only takes out that particular game and not the other ones. Anyway, I had to fold and get Windows 10. For things like Total War Arena, Rainbow Six Siege and other stuff we like to play together and havent really been able to because of me, so I folded, for the greater good. It's a completely seperate machine, with a clean, fresh, legal windows 10. For whatever reason, it caps my downloads at 6 mb/s. Rainbow Six Siege for example is 54 GB, that takes a while at 6 mb/s. It seems to be 6 mb/s for each seperate application, not in total. Still, there's a lot of stuff to install now, it being a fresh clean empty windows and while 6 mb isnt horrible, it's still slower than it has to be and it's annoying the heck out of me. It's more of a mental sanity thing than a real problem.

Blog Entries
    It shouldn't cap your downloads.. Is it wired Ethernet or a wireless connection? Behind a NAT router? What is your total available bandwidth? Is there some type of download manager running? Are you getting higher speeds when downloading from a different site, or doing a speed test?
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

It's a wired internet connection, straight into the modem the company provided, only one computer connected at a time.

Testing with speedtest.net, my speed is 47 mb/s.
    When I start a download, it drops to 6 mb/s, both the download and the speedtest.
    One of my friends pointed out that it could be my provider that's capping me, but that would be bad. They advertise up to 50 down and 5 up, depending on local infrastructure. If they're secretly capping me I would have to change provider and sue them (at least get them to cover the costs of changing provider).

The speedtest results clearly change after starting a download, something is going on.

Blog Entries
    You may want to contact them and explain the issue you are having. It could be the modem having issues as well. What type of modem is it, DSL or Cable? Modems usually have some type of diagnostic page you can reach via a web browser that shows you the signal levels, this may be worth looking into. If you give us the model number, we may be able to guess how you can connect to it's admin interface. Is your PC connected to the modem via network cable as well?